• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Brightness/Contrast/Gamma Bug? HD/Reforged Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Players on my map that use HD/Reforged graphics keep reporting a strange brightness bug that comes and goes. some say it's random while others say it happens at noon (in-game time). Does anyone have any insight on this brightness bug or a solution to prevent it? Here's a screenshot from a one of the players just sent me (idk why he plays single player but beside the point) :
1642073091403.png

Level 18
It happens intermittently, seem like from noon to like 1600 hours in-game time. It happens later on, comes and goes depending on in-game time.

Edit: I don't think there's a custom DNC in this map???

Edit 2: I had "Use Terrain Fog" check, so i unchecked it, maybe it will help?

Last edited:
Level 10
Edit: I don't think there's a custom DNC in this map???
In WE it's called "Custom Light Environment", do you have it enabled?
dnc.PNG

And do you have "imported" DNC models that replace those vanilla ones?

Also you can export "war3map.j", open it in notepad and find all calls to SetDayNightModels.
Normally, you would only have it here:
JASS:
function main takes nothing returns nothing
    call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCDalaran\\DNCDalaranTerrain\\DNCDalaranTerrain.mdl", "Environment\\DNC\\DNCDalaran\\DNCDalaranUnit\\DNCDalaranUnit.mdl")
endfunction

Last edited:
Level 18
Does not seem like I have custom light environment enabled. (Although that dark night model looks pretty cool.)

Also I found this line of code in the J file:
JASS:
[QUOTE]
call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCLordaeron\\DNCLordaeronTerrain\\DNCLordaeronTerrain.mdl", "Environment\\DNC\\DNCLordaeron\\DNCLordaeronUnit\\DNCLordaeronUnit.mdl")
[/QUOTE]

1642198150162.png

Last edited:
Level 10
In that case, I think the root of the problem is outside of your map.

1. If you play another map and it uses imported DNC model, which replaces vanilla DNCLordaeronTerrain.mdl, and then play your map, it could be still used by the game. In earlier WC versions this for sure could happen with sounds, strings or textures, so this might be the same thing, but I've never tested this.

2. Some people have graphical problems with Reforged in general (for example, here), so it might be hardware/driver related...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Are the Reforged day/night models the same as classic? If not then it might be an issue with the Reforged version of a specific day/night model.

I do not know how Reforged handles lights but classic Warcraft III had a 8 light limit on any drawn mesh. It might be a bug relating to this causing meshes to have inappropriate lights applying to them, or perhaps as a no-light fall back to prevent black screens that plagued classic.

Level 10
I can confirm that this happens, but usually when you see the whole map. This is an important detail that you omitted.

WC3ScrnShot_011622_120858_001.jpgWC3ScrnShot_011622_120904_001.jpg
Wow, this is weird! :wconfused:

Upd:
So, the root of the problem is... Goblin Armory in the center of your map. The imported model somehow causes the bug. Anyway, just replace it with default one or some other model.

Last edited:
Level 18
Wow I really appreciate your investigation, @AbolutePsycho. Thank you!

You mean this model is causing the brightness bug on Reforged graphics: Goblin Outpost ??? What a shame because I like this model.

Also I can confirm it happens without the entire map revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.