• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Stone Gathering Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So, @Bitchmoon made me this awesome stone gathering trigger using triggers and hashtables. Problem is he's been MIA for a couple months and I've been try to get his help to no avail.

It's just that I need to modify the trigger so that it's upgrade-able just like how wood harvesting has upgrade-able carry amounts. I also want to link the trigger to the "return resources" ability so that it works for stone as well as wood. Currently, stone can only be returned automatically by reaching max carry limit (10). Maybe it's easier to separate each resource with their own return ___ ability ( just throwing out an idea).

FYI this is for my project which will eventually use more custom resources, so I will use this trigger as a basis for implementing the additional resources such as ore, clay, gold, etc.

Appreciate any help - sorry my experience in triggering is severely lacking or I'd have tried to do it myself. Also if you know a better way to implement a bunch of custom resources, send me a tutorial or help me out if you can.

Appreciate any help.

Here's some screenshots of the trigger.

6oNqxrl.jpg

Last edited:
So, @Bitchmoon made me this awesome stone gathering trigger using triggers and hashtables. Problem is he's been MIA for a couple months and I've been try to get his help to no avail.

It's just that I need to modify the trigger so that it's upgrade-able just like how wood harvesting has upgrade-able carry amounts. I also want to link the trigger to the "return resources" ability so that it works for stone as well as wood. Currently, stone can only be returned automatically by reaching max carry limit (10). Maybe it's easier to separate each resource with their own return ___ ability ( just throwing out an idea).

FYI this is for my project which will eventually use more custom resources, so I will use this trigger as a basis for implementing the additional resources such as ore, clay, gold, etc.

Appreciate any help - sorry my experience in triggering is severely lacking or I'd have tried to do it myself. Also if you know a better way to implement a bunch of custom resources, send me a tutorial or help me out if you can.

Appreciate any help.

Here's some screenshots of the trigger.

6oNqxrl.jpg

Hello @UmbraUnda. You can post the text using the trigger tags, like this
[trigger][/trigger]..

Perhaps we can help you with your script after readability has (been)
been is optional in this case
improved.

Level 11
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Iron Forged Swords
    • Actions
      • Set TempInt = (Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))
      • Set playerStoneHaul[TempInt] = ((Current research level of Iron Forged Swords for (Player(TempInt))) x 5)
In the CheckRockDropOff trigger change the 10 to playerStoneHaul[(Player number of (Picked player))]
AnImage.png

Level 11
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Iron Forged Swords
    • Actions
      • Set TempInt = (Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))
      • Set playerStoneHaul[TempInt] = ((Current research level of Iron Forged Swords for (Player(TempInt))) x 5)
In the CheckRockDropOff trigger change the 10 to playerStoneHaul[(Player number of (Picked player))]
View attachment 261416

Hey thanks for the help.

I'm stuck on the 2nd action - I don't know what to choose for (Player(TempInt))) x5)

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Should be:
arithmetic

-> player research level of iron forged sword
-> convert player index to player
-> TempInt

Level 11
Ok, found arithmatic - it uses two numbers and a math function. Wait why is it just x5? So do I do variable x5 or 1x5? Btw, I just want to add 5 to the carry amount with the upgrade. The upgrade has 3 tiers too, so it should go from 10 - (upgrade) - 15 (1), 20 (2), 25 (3).

This probably isn't right but here's my attempt. Once again @Assassins-Creed , I don't know what function you used for the 2nd line in Action to get (Player(TempInt) x 5 )))

cxUsMCU.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
Try this.

WOOT! Works perfectly. Thanks so much.

Now I just have to link the RETURN RESOURCES ability to work for stone harvesting in addition to wood harvesting.

I'm guessing it should be an edit to CheckRockDropoff. Adding a few lines to force stone drop off when RETURN RESOURCES is used (Or maybe I should make another ability specific to stone) should do the trick or maybe making a new trigger based off of CheckRockDropoff.

Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Could you give a short summary on what exactly is working at the moment and what needs to be done? Would speed up my work a lot.

Level 11
Could you give a short summary on what exactly is working at the moment and what needs to be done? Would speed up my work a lot.

Oh hey I thought you reached a dead end or something.

Sure. Thanks for following through!

Link gather and return resources abilities for stone harvesting so that it works for stone harvesting as well as lumber harvesting.

There is also a glitch where if a worker harvests stone without a drop-off building the integers go over 10 (worker keeps harvesting past 10) and then that worker is glitched and is unable to drop off even after a drop-off building is built.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
The problem was, that when I tested it, the worker did not stop harvesting stones.
There is also a glitch where if a worker harvests stone without a drop-off building the integers go over 10 (worker keeps harvesting past 10) and then that worker is glitched and is unable to drop off even after a drop-off building is built.
Maybe that's the reason for it, but shouldn't the main building be a drop-off building?
Link gather and return resources abilities for stone harvesting so that it works for stone harvesting as well as lumber harvesting.
I am not sure if this is possible, because return ressources is kind of a special ability. It requires you to have ressources you can return, which you do not have, if you only harvest stones.

Level 11
The problem was, that when I tested it, the worker did not stop harvesting stones.

Maybe that's the reason for it, but shouldn't the main building be a drop-off building?

I am not sure if this is possible, because return ressources is kind of a special ability. It requires you to have ressources you can return, which you do not have, if you only harvest stones.

Nope - it's the lumber mill for lumber. Stone mill for stone.

Could we make a unique ability for returning stone at least?

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I always selected the female workers and wondered which building I can return stones to.

Yes that would be possible. I am reworking the drop-off at the moment. Right now you can only return stones, if you have as much stones harvested as possible and are nearby the drop-off building. I will make it so, that ressources are returned, if the worker has >0 stones, is close to drop-off building b and was ordered smart at unit b.

The return ability would order the unit to use smart on the closest drop-off building. There is a big disadvantage which cannot be solved. You cannot really determine the closest drop-off building (including pathability of terrain). A drop-off building could be chosen, which has a very small linear distance, but is very far away due to unpathable terrain.

Maybe it is even possible to put the standard return ressources ability in a disabled spell book and use the custom one for both.

Level 11
I always selected the female workers and wondered which building I can return stones to.

Yes that would be possible. I am reworking the drop-off at the moment. Right now you can only return stones, if you have as much stones harvested as possible and are nearby the drop-off building. I will make it so, that ressources are returned, if the worker has >0 stones, is close to drop-off building b and was ordered smart at unit b.

The return ability would order the unit to use smart on the closest drop-off building. There is a big disadvantage which cannot be solved. You cannot really determine the closest drop-off building (including pathability of terrain). A drop-off building could be chosen, which has a very small linear distance, but is very far away due to unpathable terrain.

Maybe it is even possible to put the standard return ressources ability in a disabled spell book and use the custom one for both.

Why not both workers?

Awesome mate. Good idea, makes sense - as long as it works.

Oh, dang. Can you make it any of stonemills (1-4)? Wait are you saying it won't work? Or that it'll work however its not the best way to do it?

Hmm, whatever works honestly... If a spellbook is the best or most stable way to get it done then let's do that.

This is a raw exmaple. If you interested to FULLY REPLACE your current system then tell me.

Thanks for the reply.

Your system looks good overall however there are some instabilities - for instance sometimes the peasant returns with 18 gold, other times 19.
I'm not sure you took into account everything I that the current stone gathering system already uses...
So in short, thanks but no thanks. I just want to improve the system I already have.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I fixed the return resources (only return resources when directly ordered to return, not when nearby and maximum amount of stone harvested).
Works for any stonemill.
Wait are you saying it won't work?
It will work, but not the best way. There is no function to get the closest object including pathing restrictions in warcraft.
Here an example (I am using lumber mill instead of stones here)
upload_2017-3-25_22-15-14.png

This peasant would move to the lumber mill on the other side of the cliffs, because the linear distance is smaller, even though the lumber mill on the right side is closer.
The warcraft ability return resources has a hardcoded method to find the closest lumber mill including pathability.
As I said you cannot change it and you must accept it as it is. In most cases you won't recognize it as most of the times the closest lumber mill has also the smallest linear distance.
You could have the player decide which lumber mill should be used as drop-off using a new ability, but that would just make it too complicated.

Edit: here is the map. I also added the return rocks ability. If you want to copy my rock gathering stuff into your map you need to copy the trigger folder RockGathering and create the ability Return Rocks and put it in the triggers where needed (TakeDamageStone,CheckRockDropoff,ForceReturn).

Attachments

• WarcraftMedievalStrategyOverhaul_v0.1.w3x
    12.7 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Level 11
I fixed the return resources (only return resources when directly ordered to return, not when nearby and maximum amount of stone harvested).
Works for any stonemill.

It will work, but not the best way. There is no function to get the closest object including pathing restrictions in warcraft.
Here an example (I am using lumber mill instead of stones here)
View attachment 263685
This peasant would move to the lumber mill on the other side of the cliffs, because the linear distance is smaller, even though the lumber mill on the right side is closer.
The warcraft ability return resources has a hardcoded method to find the closest lumber mill including pathability.
As I said you cannot change it and you must accept it as it is. In most cases you won't recognize it as most of the times the closest lumber mill has also the smallest linear distance.
You could have the player decide which lumber mill should be used as drop-off using a new ability, but that would just make it too complicated.

Edit: here is the map. I also added the return rocks ability. If you want to copy my rock gathering stuff into your map you need to copy the trigger folder RockGathering and create the ability Return Rocks and put it in the triggers where needed (TakeDamageStone,CheckRockDropoff,ForceReturn).

Thanks a bunch mate! That was quick , just in time - I'm about to release 0.2a !

O0o0o no worries mate, I don't have cliffs in my map and haven't put in any pathing blockers yet.
Hopefully you can come up with some way around that eventually. For now, it's fine.

I'll go implement this into my map now and let you know how it goes later.

Also were you able to figure anything out about the glitched workers if they harvest without a stonemill?
I was thinking along the lines : condition that requires a stonemill, otherwise actions for harvesting are canceled.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Hopefully you can come up with some way around that eventually. For now, it's fine.
I think there is just no way to find the closest building including pathability, since there is no native function to do so. Making such a system yourself is incredibly hard and on such a big map absolutely impossible.
Another option if you really care that much about it, is to have the return rock ability target a unit instead of no target. Using it will store the target(stone mill) to the unit and the unit will always return stone to this mill. When the mill gets killed the unit will go back to searching the closest mill. This way the player could decide where the worker should return stones.
You could also add the possibility to target self (the worker) to manually go back to searching the closest mill.

Also were you able to figure anything out about the glitched workers if they harvest without a stonemill?
I was thinking along the lines : condition that requires a stonemill, otherwise actions for harvesting are canceled.
No I did not do anything about it. I guess the best way would be to use the event "is attacked" and stop the attack when it is about to start.

Another thing I would like to note is, that workers can harvest stones and lumber at the same time (e.g. harvest lumber->harvest stone->return stones->return lumber).
I don't know if there is an easy method to remove the carried resources from a worker.

Level 11
I'm not sure you took into account everything I that the current stone gathering system already uses...

IT WORKS!! HA-HA-HA, IT WOOORKS! THE WORKERS WOULDN'T STOP UNTIL ALL ROCKS AROUND WOULD DESTROYED.
I ALSO ADDED THE SYSTEM WHICH DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO STORE COLLECTED STONE ON UNFINISHED BUILDING.
P.S. I COMPELTELY DELETED THE PREVIOUS SYSTEM.
PSS THIS SYSTEM COUNTS BOTH STONEMILL AND LONG HALL.
PSSS IF YOU ORDER THE WORKER WITH FULL STONE BAG TO COLLECT STONE AGAIN IT MAY GO TO THE STONE MILL (LONG HALL) INSTEAD.

Attachments

• WorldEditTestMap.w3x
    12.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 11
I think there is just no way to find the closest building including pathability, since there is no native function to do so. Making such a system yourself is incredibly hard and on such a big map absolutely impossible.
Another option if you really care that much about it, is to have the return rock ability target a unit instead of no target. Using it will store the target(stone mill) to the unit and the unit will always return stone to this mill. When the mill gets killed the unit will go back to searching the closest mill. This way the player could decide where the worker should return stones.
You could also add the possibility to target self (the worker) to manually go back to searching the closest mill.

No I did not do anything about it. I guess the best way would be to use the event "is attacked" and stop the attack when it is about to start.

Another thing I would like to note is, that workers can harvest stones and lumber at the same time (e.g. harvest lumber->harvest stone->return stones->return lumber).
I don't know if there is an easy method to remove the carried resources from a worker.

Thanks again for the help. Hmm, more things to work on in the future I suppose. This is fine for now though.

IT WORKS!! HA-HA-HA, IT WOOORKS! THE WORKERS WOULDN'T STOP UNTIL ALL ROCKS AROUND WOULD DESTROYED.
I ALSO ADDED THE SYSTEM WHICH DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO STORE COLLECTED STONE ON UNFINISHED BUILDING.
P.S. I COMPELTELY DELETED THE PREVIOUS SYSTEM.
PSS THIS SYSTEM COUNTS BOTH STONEMILL AND LONG HALL.
PSSS IF YOU ORDER THE WORKER WITH FULL STONE BAG TO COLLECT STONE AGAIN IT MAY GO TO THE STONE MILL (LONG HALL) INSTEAD.

O snap... lemme test and I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: I'm not sure what happened however its broken and unstable.
When I clicked for workers to harvest, they kept returning after 1 strike.
I tried rearranging distance and far away the workers harvest all the way to 10 however once it was returned they would glitch out moving and stopping repeatedly... I tried clicking again to harvest however the worker would not harvest, only walked toward the stone. This may require additional testing to pinpoint whats causing the instabilities.

I looked over the trigger and it looks great, even saved some space too.
Hopefully its a small fix mate - I want to see this trigger working 100%.

Last edited:
Level 11
Hmm - still having the same issues. Works however unstable... Must be something with the range check... or my game @_@ ?
Can you post a screenshot to see worker's behavior? or video? Me and deepstrasz checked it and it works, but the workers are choosing the recently building instead of the closest. But they don't run to store resources after 1 strike.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I fixed it now. Workers can no longer harvest stones, if they already carry as much as they can. If no Stone Mill can be found the worker will just stop (same as with normal resources in warcraft). If you order a worker to harvest a stone even though he already carries as much as he can, he will still move towards the stone and when he reaches it he will search for a drop-off (this is also exactly how it is in warcraft with lumber).

Also I changed that only finished Stone Mills serve as drop-offs.

Tell me if you need any changes.

Attachments

• WarcraftMedievalStrategyOverhaul_v0.1.w3x
    12.7 MB · Views: 43
Level 11
Here is a new variant. Sorry if i name it as WorldEdit TestMap because my WC doesn't want to detect the map if i use first name.

Awesome mate - thanks again for putting in the work. I really appreciate it. I'm about to hit the gym however later tonight I'll let you know how testing goes.

I fixed it now. Workers can no longer harvest stones, if they already carry as much as they can. If no Stone Mill can be found the worker will just stop (same as with normal resources in warcraft). If you order a worker to harvest a stone even though he already carries as much as he can, he will still move towards the stone and when he reaches it he will search for a drop-off (this is also exactly how it is in warcraft with lumber).

Also I changed that only finished Stone Mills serve as drop-offs.

Tell me if you need any changes.

o0o0o snap. Thanks Jampion, with this new system its pretty much done! Only thing left now is to make it so workers can't harvest stone and lumber (and carries both of the resources at the same time) + Fruit Forest said there were some leaks. Awesome work, I'll give you both more rep soon - I'll test it out soon when I get back from the gym.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
o0o0o snap. Thanks Jampion, with this new system its pretty much done! Only thing left now is to make it so workers can't harvest stone and lumber (and carries both of the resources at the same time) + Fruit Forest said there were some leaks. Awesome work, I'll give you both more rep soon - I'll test it out soon when I get back from the gym.
I don't know if there is an easy possibility to remove the carried resources. There are definitely methods, but they would have side effects. I pretty much only improved the functionality of the existing system. I have not removed the leaks that were already there.
I will investigate on removing carried resources.

Edit: removing and adding the harvest ability seems to work.

Edit2: i can't find a way to detect when a worker starts harvesting lumber
there is no destructible is attacked event, the ability (harvest lumber) and orders are given before and are not directly connected to hitting the tree.
Only solution I see at the moment is triggering lumber similar to stone harvesting.

Last edited:
Level 11
Only thing left now is to make it so workers can't harvest stone and lumber (and carries both of the resources at the same time)
Well i recomend you two variants:
1. Make all trees to be a units not destructible. (idk can the system handle it because units take more memory)
2. Make spell based on eat tree (resurrect trees isn't a problem, but again have to script all AI)
These both ways can detect number of harvested tree.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Well i recomend you two variants:
1. Make all trees to be a units not destructible. (idk can the system handle it because units take more memory)
2. Make spell based on eat tree (resurrect trees isn't a problem, but again have to script all AI)
These both ways can detect number of harvested tree.
So we could copy the stone harvesting system and replace attacking with casting eat tree. I would definitely go with number 2 here, as over 9000 units just for trees would be too much.

Level 11
Great ideas. Or maybe a true and false condition/comparison could work?

Example: Worker carrying stone - True. Worker goes to harvest lumber (still carrying stone) - unable to use gather on trees. Or (like in AoE II) drops the stone carried as it uses gather on trees. Then again vice versa for the other resource. Might not work but its an idea.

Also does the current system in 0.2a have any leaks?

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Example: Worker carrying stone - True. Worker goes to harvest lumber (still carrying stone) - unable to use gather on trees. Or (like in AoE II) drops the stone carried as it uses gather on trees. Then again vice versa for the other resource. Might not work but its an idea.
The problem is that we don't know if a unit has lumber. Because of this we need to trigger lumber gathering as well.
Also does the current system in 0.2a have any leaks?
If you used my system, yes.

If we are really going to trigger lumber harvesting as well, I will first rewrite the stone gathering in JASS and then use the same system for lumber.

Level 11
The problem is that we don't know if a unit has lumber. Because of this we need to trigger lumber gathering as well.

If you used my system, yes.

If we are really going to trigger lumber harvesting as well, I will first rewrite the stone gathering in JASS and then use the same system for lumber.

Alright, hopefully the leaks aren't game crashing. Well, I just want it to work and eliminate the bugs - so what gets done is really up to you.

O wow, you must be a pro.

Thanks again, appreciate all the help. To have everything redone in vJass would be amazing.

I also wanna transfer some triggers that are in vJass from @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map if you could help with that later on. (No rush)
Mainly the Fortifications system which includes, walkable buildable walls + new construction system. That map was ahead of its time.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Alright, hopefully the leaks aren't game crashing. Well, I just want it to work and eliminate the bugs - so what gets done is really up to you.
Leaks are not gamecrashing most of the times. You need a lot of leaks to even recognize them.
To have everything redone in vJass would be amazing.
It's gonna be normal JASS. For vJASS you would need the JNGP to even save your map, so JASS is more comfortable for you.
I also wanna transfer some triggers that are in vJass from @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map if you could help with that later on. (No rush)
Mainly the Fortifications system which includes, walkable buildable walls + new construction system. That map was ahead of its time.
Once I am finished with this I can take a look at it.

Level 11
Leaks are not gamecrashing most of the times. You need a lot of leaks to even recognize them.

It's gonna be normal JASS. For vJASS you would need the JNGP to even save your map, so JASS is more comfortable for you.

Once I am finished with this I can take a look at it.

Phew, good.

Oh wait maybe it is regular JASS idk... I lack the experience. Alright whatever works :D

Awesome!

Level 11
Here is a new variant. Sorry if i name it as WorldEdit TestMap because my WC doesn't want to detect the map if i use first name.

Alright so I tested it - It works 100% fine if you only use the long hall to harvest. Once I built the stone mill, and units were close enough to the stone mill, I got the same problem where workers start bringing it back after each strike. If units are at a medium range of the stone mill it works fine. Maybe something with range check?
Also there's no forced return resources ability (return resources).

So at this point, I think Jampion's trigger is fine for now. Jampion also offered to turn his trigger into JASS to avoid memory leaks.

However I'm still in need of help with some other triggers if you're down. No rush for these btw and if you're not interested its fine, appreciate all the help so far. thanks
I want to copy over some triggers from @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense Map. This map is ahead of its time and the author is M.I.A. so idk how to implement it.
Specifically the fortification system and construction system - they allow walkable buildable walls + doorway system to move through gates and towers along the walkable wall, rotatable buildings, and a unique construction system that requires multiple workers (which makes realistic sense - rarely are buildings built by one worker).

The majority of the work is identifying variables and then figuring out how to implement it into my map.

Im also looking to make a new construction system using build plots to save space in the build ability's building list (and or make a custom multipage build ability?)
+ Custom Resources starting with food via hunting beasts and a farming system using crops and plowable terrain (or farm building) + other farm related builtings like a windmill, granary, etc for crafting food items or something.

Level 11
Alright so I tested it - It works 100% fine if you only use the long hall to harvest. Once I built the stone mill, and units were close enough to the stone mill, I got the same problem where workers start bringing it back after each strike. If units are at a medium range of the stone mill it works fine.
It's probably because of the range checking. You built the stone mill too close to the rocks and the system always engage all units which has at least 1 rock point.

Jampion also offered to turn his trigger into JASS to avoid memory leaks.
turning into jass won't let you to avoid leaks.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Here is the finished map. Most gathering triggers are in JASS and I removed the leaks in the gathering triggers.
Workers can no longer carry lumber and stones at the same time. Workers have a return resources ability, that makes them return lumber/stones if possible.
If harvesting lumber they also have the standard harvest/return lumber abilities.

Attachments

• WarcraftMedievalStrategyOverhaul_Jampion.w3x
    12.7 MB · Views: 42
Level 11
Here is the finished map. Most gathering triggers are in JASS and I removed the leaks in the gathering triggers.
Workers can no longer carry lumber and stones at the same time. Workers have a return resources ability, that makes them return lumber/stones if possible.
If harvesting lumber they also have the standard harvest/return lumber abilities.

Wow Jampion - you are a pro. Thanks, you took care of everything mate. Consider this trigger solved.

Lemme know if you're able to help transfer the triggers from that Castle Defense map to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.