• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starting Item Cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So I have an item that has some triggered effects (prevents damage every 25 seconds), and mechanically it's working perfectly. However, I'd like the item to show a cooldown.

Any tricks to starting an item cooldown? I tried giving it a dummy active ability that doesn't do anything and then a dummy rune with the same cooldown group, but it didn't work.

Level 15
To show the cooldown, the ability with the cooldown has to be the first ability in the ability list if I recall correctly.
You can either use an active ability and trigger it or use spell shield (passive ability).

Use an ability based on berserk, so no animation is needed and no orders are interrupted.
To prevent the player from using the item.
  • Prevent Manual Use
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Berserk (item)
    • Actions
      • Item - Remove (Item carried by (Triggering unit) of type Berserk)
      • Hero - Create Berserk and give it to (Triggering unit)
If you want to trigger item usage:
  • Use on Event
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off Prevent Manual Use <gen>
      • Hero - Order Blood Mage 0002 <gen> to use (Item carried by Blood Mage 0002 <gen> of type Berserk)
      • Trigger - Turn on Prevent Manual Use <gen>
Using the item will cancel channeling spells.

There are only very few passive ability that show a cooldown.
Spell shield and reincarnation are the only ones I can think if right now. Reincarnation is not useful, but I am sure you can use spell shield for that.

Use 2 items, one with spell shield, one with no ability. If you want to block damage, replace the item with the spell shield item and use a dummy to trigger cooldown. When the cooldown is over replace the item with the no ability item. In theory the unit should never have active spell shield, as it is either on cooldown or the unit has the other item.

Status
Not open for further replies.