• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Starcraft & Starcraft Brood War Cooperative Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Starcraft Cooperative Campaign has been finished and is available for download from moddb we have recreated starcraft and brood war campaign missions into a cooperative setting so you can play through the entire campaign with someone else, we have increased all difficulty due to having twice as many players, redone all the scripting so that it works for both players, tested every map to make sure its balanced and not easy or stupidly hard, the missions progressively get harder towards the end of each campaign.

Starcraft Co Op mod Preview

Key Features
  • Cooperative
  • Dynamic
  • Difficulty Increase
  • Fully Scripted Dialogue
  • AI Balancing
  • AI Scripting improved
  • Shared units 50/50 for non base missions
  • Thoroughly Tested

Cooperative

We wanted Starcraft to be cooperative from the moment we found out we could gain access to the campaign maps, since then we have been working to achieve a full on cooperative experience. Every single mission from start to end is cooperative, even if you lose all of your unit's the other player still has a chance to get victory for the both of you though unlikely. In a very few select missions you will have to work hard to work together as you start off with bases on opposite sides of the map, these can be very challenging but extremely rewarding as you get the sense of saving your friend from their demise.

Dynamic

We wanted dynamic game play for each and every level, keeping in mind that each level is cooperative and thus every level will be dynamic depending on who you are playing with for example playing Starcraft with your dog will be much harder than playing Starcraft with your friend. In a few missions there is some dynamic events that may occur, for example in Protoss Broodwar mission 8 overlords will spawn units when they go to attack the temple, each time you play the mission regardless of who you are playing with the mission will play out differently as the AI is not scripted to move in and drop things automatically but by chance this means it will give you a dynamic outcome rather than the exact same thing each time, now thats probably going into a bit too much detail on the dynamic elements but just for the sake of it just know its going to be different each time you play.

Difficulty Increase

We believed that the stock AI difficulty was beyond too easy especially with two players, we have increased the difficulty in each and every map so they are all nice and challenging. Once we have completed every campaign mission we will release a second version of all the maps with full insane AI for those who want the ultimate challenge.

Fully Scripted Dialogue

Every level has been scripted entirely for two players, doesn't matter who's in the lead on a non base map who ever gets to the location first will start the triggers. Both players will get victory on every level if the victory conditions are met, same with defeat. All cut-scenes have been scripted to allow two players to watch/hear all dialogue and events, with a few levels with improved scripting to give a much nicer cut scene we don't leave anything out.

AI Balancing

Each level has been tested over and over again to get the best result for AI Balancing, we don't want it to be too easy or too hard, we want the game-play to be challenging and rewarding, i feel that we have accomplished this with all the testing and AI changes we have made throughout the levels.

AI Scripting improved

Various levels have been given improved AI scripting as a result of either bugs or difficulty, for example Original Terran 3 has been given above and beyond the default scripting to the point its almost insane compared the original solo campaign mission, in this map a lot more units will attack from the start to the end, each wave has been designed to attack the right place at the right time and in the end, if you haven't seen it from our youtube videos i wont wreck it for you but things get extremely overwhelming much like an Archon the Zerg will overpower you and push you back, if your defenses aren't up to scratch they will wipe you out.

Shared units 50/50 for non base missions

For all of those operation type game types we wanted players to feel like even if they are falling behind they can catch back up, by default all of the units you gain are set to Rescue-able so if you had a player running full steam ahead they would by default get all of the units, to stop this from happening we have created triggers to give 50/50 units for each player. With our 50/50 triggers in place it means if you do run full steam ahead and lose all of your units, the next group of units that gets rescued, you will get half of them getting you back into the game. With these triggers in play it gives each non base mission a feel of being equal and in the unfortunate event of losing all of your units, the other player can proceed on and eventually get you some new units.

Thoroughly Tested

Every map has been thoroughly tested from start to finish, this includes unit/base/resource placement, AI balancing, resource balancing, dialogue for both players, victory conditions, defeat conditions, triggers, sound, cut-scenes, mission briefing, unit upgrades, units available, special abilities available and everything else i cant think of, we make sure we have found and fixed every bug we can find before releasing each map.I hope you have enjoyed reading this overview of all that we have done for the mod, as always Enjoy!

Level 3
Ahhk yeah its for starcraft and starcraft broodwar, we did both the original and expansion for starcraft, don't get me wrong I'd love to do the same for starcraft 2 buy haven't even looked for the campaign maps. If I can get a hold of them I don't see any reason not to make the campaign cooperative.

Level 13
People still play the original StarCraft o_O. I mean StarCraft II is superior to it in every way down from unit pathing intelligence to the fact you can play any arcade game completely free.

Yes people still play bw. Might be your oppinion that sc2 is superior, i can not agree with that though.

On topic: You guys did a great job. I already saw and downloaded your campaign on moddb. I am playing with my brother and we both like it. Some missions are still a little bit too easy. I will go into detail on the weekend. Keep up the good work.

Level 16
In what ways is SC1 better than SC2 next to minimum system requirements and in history of competitions?
lets stick with just you having your own opinions, this topic here is not about who thinks sc2 was better then sc1, if you want to make that a discussion, make your own thread on it.
Beware though, people have their own opinions, they may not be swayed easily. Trying to prove your opinion over someone else may be harder then you realize.

Back on topic: Is there a video play through of these campaigns?

Level 3
Back on topic: Is there a video play through of these campaigns?

Sure is, we have increased the difficulty since recording these and there might be a few levels that still need improving as we haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback from our v1.2 update, I'm happy with the difficulty in the Broodwar missions but I think my and tyrz have to go through and test some of the vanilla missions but i think i might just make the insane ai version coz there's people out there much better than I at starcraft.

full video play throughs of both players perspectives are on youtube here: http://m.youtube.com/user/killer939
We don't have videos on every map but it gives you a fair idea of what we have done. But yeah these videos were from a much earlier build and the difficulty has been increased since then plus many other minor changes.

Level 15
This is amazing! I thought Stacraft Brood War mapping was dead. Very well done!

Have you put this on staredit.net?

People still play the original StarCraft

They do! I play it on and off, mostly for the custom gaming. It's very niche of course, and steadily dying. But there's games to be played.

Level 13
In what ways is SC1 better than SC2 next to minimum system requirements and in history of competitions?

You obviously never played SCBW on competetive level.
Not in the mood to go into detail.
Some examples:
-better Microability of most units (not all though)
-no unit clumping
-more positional gameplay
-longer fights (hardly any deathball 5 second fights)

And yes i know that BW has issues too (for example pathfinding).

Level 16
Some examples:
-no unit clumping

Guys leave it be, this is a discussion about the 2p campaign, not which is better, leave those opinion for a new thread, not this one.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Some examples:
-no unit clumping

Touché! I think pathing differences between StarCraft 1 and II engines make all the difference in the gameplay. Unit clumping is especially noticeable.

Level 16
I was just informed by the owners of the SCBW COOP Campaign that if I decide to make m my own SC COOP (like I been doing already) they will file a suit against me claiming they own copyright to the maps.
They claim I am using THEIR maps (when in fact I used my own maps from the SC CD's)

I informed them by Blizzard EULA rights, they don't own any rights, but they assure me they own the maps they created. (again not using their maps, which are staredit edits of the original Campaigns)

I just wanted to point out that Razor threatened to sue me earlier today.
He claims I was going to use his work and make it my own.

First, I have been making maps fro sc1 for years, and have never took another creators map and made it my own.

Second they don't own any rights to these maps, since they are not actual mods. (they use a map editor to change stuff like any other map maker).
To call this a mod is to call every map ever made a mod.

I never once claimed this "Mod" was bad, I did indicate I wasn't interested, and they claim I was slandering them.

If they by chance try to SUE me, I am sure the previous creators of SC1 COOP will be interested to make some claims since they made the first COOP for sc1.

For the record, I did think the idea they had was interesting until I had some look at it, it's not a mod, it's a series of maps made playable for 2 players. I see that work has been put into it, but claiming it's a mod when it was simply edited by the standard map editor is hardly from a true "mod"

A true mod is a like Legacy of the confederation.

Status
Not open for further replies.