• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

StarCraft: Reborn Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

34plJIx.png

526698939b384.png
Since we have no dedicated SC1 sub-forum, I figured I'd leave this here. I've had a bit of extra time this week and decided to revisit the SC1 editor and have a bit of fun with the old school easy-to-use tools. I ended up with this after 4 days of messing around. If you want some more Blizzard-like SC1, this may be a fun experiment.

Reborn Station + Genesis Complete Map Pack

Just put them inside your Maps folder. It should be located somewhere in C:/Users/YourName/Documents/StarCraft/Maps

If you don't have SC1 installed, fear not! Blizzard has made the game absolutely free and you can download it from Battle.net. Just look under classic games in your account.

A quick word of note - the AI used is the one from the Expansion so expect difficulty to be around what you can find in the Brood War campaigns. Other than that, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

UPDATE: After receiving a bit of feedback - I've gone ahead and made a few tweaks, balance changes and additions to chapters 4 and 5

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Every chapter's map description is something like: destroy all enemy forces.
  2. Mission objectives ingame for the first level are missing.
  3. Maps don't follow one another in a sequence. Instead, after every victory message, the game menu is loaded. Don't know if the map automatically restarts if you get the defeat message.
  4. Lieutenant Kerrigan reporting :D This level could use some "RPG" elements (like the installation tileset based levels), make the hero be more useful. Getting her cloaked to the other side isn't that fun.
  5. So, the protoss and the SoK were allied?
  6. Never liked missions where you had to destroy all buildings but having to kill everything even the Dropships...
  7. Not an interesting or captivating story. It's just do that because that.

Not finished!? At least you could mention that in the opening post. Some screenshots wouldn't hurt either.
Overall it's a nice experience with some not easy fighting to do.

I didn't check your maps in the editor but if you used any wait triggers be advised that they are erased after loading the game and the actions that follow them will instantly be triggered.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

1. Every chapter's map description is something like: destroy all enemy forces.
  2. Mission objectives ingame for the first level are missing.
  3. Maps don't follow one another in a sequence. Instead, after every victory message, the game menu is loaded. Don't know if the map automatically restarts if you get the defeat message.
  4. Lieutenant Kerrigan reporting :D This level could use some "RPG" elements (like the installation tileset based levels), make the hero be more useful. Getting her cloaked to the other side isn't that fun.
  5. So, the protoss and the SoK were allied?
  6. Never liked missions where you had to destroy all buildings but having to kill everything even the Dropships...
  7. Not an interesting or captivating story. It's just do that because that.
Not finished!? At least you could mention that in the opening post. Some screenshots wouldn't hurt either.
Overall it's a nice experience with some not easy fighting to do.

I didn't check your maps in the editor but if you used any wait triggers be advised that they are erased after loading the game and the actions that follow them will instantly be triggered.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate your time!

1 - yeah, sadly, the SC1 editor doesn't allow for too much in the way of objectives or perhaps I'm too dumb to figure it out. I did try to keep it less time-consuming by just having people destroy the nexus/command centre so as to save time. Though I am planning on a few more varied chapters.

EDIT: There are stand-outs :D - Chapter 3 has you clearing "special" stargates with a broken BC

2 - that is definitely a fluke on my end, will fix in a sec
3 - I don't know what the hell is up with the triggers - every time I add the "Set next level" function, it just crashes - no idea what's up with it. Any input is welcome.
4 - Chapter 6 is an Installation :D and will be released in an hour or two - depends on the amount of bugs I find when playtesting it several times. As for the other part - yeah, I originally thought of having that be a cinematic but SC1 and cinematics don't blend that well without heaps of tedious and boring triggering.
5 - The only way I could get the SoK to NOT kill the Protoss xD - I know it feels janky but else the SoK Terran just kills the Protoss which ain't fun or challenging.
6 - I know what you mean - I can't remember how to set it to "Buildings only" - will look through the triggers again and hopefully fix that
7 - Point taken.

Yeah, I guess I should've made it clearer that it's still coming out - though at least it's quick to get a chapter ready.

Again, thanks for the time ^_^

EDIT 2: The Waits are broken? That explains a lot actually - thanks for that!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
1 - yeah, sadly, the SC1 editor doesn't allow for too much in the way of objectives or perhaps I'm too dumb to figure it out. I did try to keep it less time-consuming by just having people destroy the nexus/command centre so as to save time. Though I am planning on a few more varied chapters.
Yes, think of various designs. It takes a while and it just comes to you if you give it some thought a few times a week. However, I was referring to the description you write in the editor (scenario-properties: description).
3 - I don't know what the hell is up with the triggers - every time I add the "Set next level" function, it just crashes - no idea what's up with it. Any input is welcome.
Crashes? Why/when? What editor are you using? I mostly (99%) used the game's editor and did not encounter such an error. You basically put the "Select Next Scenario" trigger and then click on the blued "scenario" and browse for the next map. You can do the same for defeat conditions so that the map will restart: Set Next Scenario->same map file (as the current level).
6 - I know what you mean - I can't remember how to set it to "Buildings only" - will look through the triggers again and hopefully fix that
Use the condition "Command": Player/Force commands 0 buildings->Defeat for that player/victory for chosen player.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Yes, think of various designs. It takes a while and it just comes to you if you give it some thought a few times a week. However, I was referring to the description you write in the editor (scenario-properties: description).

Crashes? Why/when? What editor are you using? I mostly (99%) used the game's editor and did not encounter such an error. You basically put the "Select Next Scenario" trigger and then click on the blued "scenario" and browse for the next map. You can do the same for defeat conditions so that the map will restart: Set Next Scenario->same map file (as the current level).

Use the condition "Command": Player/Force commands 0 buildings->Defeat for that player/victory for chosen player.

1 - Ooooooh, that. I thought you meant ingame objectives. I do try to not repeat myself too much tho the Object Editor is VERY limited (chapter 1 - ground assault, chapter 2 - base defense, chapter 3 - air assault (cause I want Battlecruisers to feel powerful like they are lore-wise and I REALLY hate mass tier 3 air - ruins the fun imho), chapter 4 - island assault (to make people use wraiths and valkyries (Which the confederacy did have prototypes of and were used exactly by the Annihilators :D) and am doing installation now. As for story - it's nothing spectacular, just a bit of SC universe fun.

2 - when I do that, it just says "cannot find file" when a scenario ends and crashes - using default editor. Will try again to see what happens.

3 - Ah, I have no idea how I missed that - many thanks!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
2 - when I do that, it just says "cannot find file" when a scenario ends and crashes - using default editor. Will try again to see what happens.
Try having all the files in the same folder. Try having one folder inside the maps folder and not in the Brood War folder of the maps folder. See if that works. For me it works anyhow.

If you want to protect your maps (be sure to make backups) you can use the two files below. One of them, I used, can't exactly remember which one.
I also used the map editor I've attached. It has additional things that you can use like turning on/off vision and alliances, more player colours and other things. The great thing about it is that the normal (game's) editor can still open those maps saved with this extensive editor.

Attachments

• ProEdit4.0.zip
    764.3 KB · Views: 173
  • protector.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 207
  • StarcraftExtreme2.6.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 196

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I seem to remember that editor - I think I've used that to set Floor Turrets on top of Bunkers, stack tanks and do all sorts of weird stuff before - will definitely give it a shot and see what I can come up with. The extra colours are welcome as well - I've actually run out of faction colours as is :D

The most important part is the AI scripts - even now they're shaky at best. For example, in chapter 5, the red terran just sends his SCVs in a corner for no apparent reason. The best idea I have is that he is trying to reach Orange's minerals for some reason even tho he has his own.

I don't mind leaving them open - if anyone wants to look at them in the editor, they can feel free to do so. I only ask that they aren't redistributed anywhere.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I don't think you can set more than 8 players at a time on a map though.

Ah, that's a bummer - in chapter 2 and chapter 6 I am using 7/8 player slots as is.

On a side note - how did you find balance? Too hard, too easy? Any gameplay element seem frustrating?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
On a side note - how did you find balance? Too hard, too easy? Any gameplay element seem frustrating?
Well, the balance is pretty steep. I mean, they always have stronger/higher tier units on their side. It's not an easy game. Well, I'm no hardcore player either, just your average Joe.
In the first chapter you have to quickly construct Bunkers in at least two places because even with the Medics, the Zealots are pretty tough on the Marines and then the vs bio Dragoons :)
In that chapter where you have to play with Wraiths, they are weak against buildings and Photon Canons+Scouts (+Dragoons). Sure they have Cloak and can be repaired and you can draw the enemy out of their base but it's still pretty tough till you get at least 2 Wraith groups.
They usually have more bases from the start which is their main advantage.
It's OK but I surely wouldn't call it easy. It's normal-hard.
Ah, that's a bummer - in chapter 2 and chapter 6 I am using 7/8 player slots as is.
I guess you'll have to check that for yourself (in that or any other editor you'll find on the net).

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, the balance is pretty steep. I mean, they always have stronger/higher tier units on their side. It's not an easy game. Well, I'm no hardcore player either, just your average Joe.
In the first chapter you have to quickly construct Bunkers in at least two places because even with the Medics, the Zealots are pretty tough on the Marines and then the vs bio Dragoons :)
In that chapter where you have to play with Wraiths, they are weak against buildings and Photon Canons+Scouts (+Dragoons). Sure they have Cloak and can be repaired and you can draw the enemy out of their base but it's still pretty tough till you get at least 2 Wraith groups.
They usually have more bases from the start which is their main advantage.
It's OK but I surely wouldn't call it easy. It's normal-hard.

I guess you'll have to check that for yourself (in that or any other editor you'll find on the net).

Ah, didn't you use the Centurion on chapter 3? It's really "effective" against anything that can't fly :D - it's also reasonably tanky once you get armour upgrades. And yes, the SC1 AI is pretty unforgiving even on normal settings. Tho I kind of felt that chapter 4 turned out to be rather easy. I'm still waiting for my beta tester to come home and play 5 and 6 before I feel confident about uploading them - don't want to upload an impossible or near-impossible map :D

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

UPDATE:

Thanks to @deepstrasz and @Mechanical Man for the feedback. I've updated existing chapters and uploaded chapter 6

Changelog:

• Rebalanced chapter 1 by increasing resources and removing some of the photon cannons.
  • Slightly changed the scenario descriptions - current ones are placeholders until next update
  • Re-wrote parts of Chapter 5 briefing dialogue
  • Altered victory condition for chapter 4 to only include buildings
  • Changed starting 'Annihilator' count from 6 to 4 on chapter 4. Added a Goliath as a starting unit
  • Changed chapter 5 to allow the player to use siege tanks without siege mode at a reduced price (suggestion by @Mechanical Man )
  • Uploaded chapter 6
  • All chapters' objectives should now show up properly ingame

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

UPDATE:

Changelog:

• Fixed a bug with AI siege tanks in chapter 5
  • Removed Nukes from chapter 3 and 4
  • Changed player colour in chapter 4 and 5
  • Balance changes to chapter 6

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

UPDATE: Chapter 7 is now up and ready for play.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Exams coming up - updates will probably slow down but I do plan to finish the remaining 2 chapters when I've secured a passing grade. In the meantime, any and all feedback is welcome.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

@Flack After you find a landing zone for your base, you will get 3 base buildings, which fly in and a dropship that brings several Goliaths and SCVs

Level 1
Ok I got it. Thanks. Will new chapters be released? It was really fun. Mission 7 was a bit too easy though compared to the others imo.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Yeah, the AI didn't function properly so I had to change up the script to an easier one. As for the final chapter, likely soon(TM) - I've got 2 more exams and then I'm free to finish it.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

e0347c4f5eaf7618682bf6b49bd6f777.png

Look alive everyone. After nearly a whole year of radio silence, I am back with more RS maps. I'll be uploading these one by one as I create them since I am still somewhat short on time but I'll be finishing the series, that is for certain. For now, enjoy the first map from the Genesis expansion.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I don't understand. You've started the expansion without finishing its precursor?

The Precursor was more or less done. I was contemplating ending the whole thing in one map and leaving it as is but instead of having a single chapter 08, I decided I'd add a few more and over time the idea changed so many times that it basically became big enough for its own sub-heading. Take it as a 2-parter of sorts.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Update time: Genesis 02 is now available for play. I've uploaded it alongside 01 since they are directly linked. Basically like a 2-part episode of a TV series. Enjoy and tell me what you think ;)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Okay, so I've always been a bit unhappy with how the first chapter played out since it was a rushed 2-hour job and I felt it made a poor first impression. So today In addition to releasing Genesis 02, I decided to rework Reborn Station 01. It's still recognizable but I believe it's a bit more....polished? Anyhow, enjoy :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Genesis 04 is up and ready for play. Enjoy and give me feedback if you can ;)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Genesis 05 has been added to the pack. The series is slowly coming to a close :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I've updated Chapters 1 and 2 of the original series. Big Thanks to Pr0nogo for playtesting them live for me and pointing out what can be improved. I am now very happy with how they turned out, especially chapter 1. Feel free to post your thoughts as well y'all. I'd love to hear them :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I've uploaded the remake of chapter 3 of the original series alongside with a few fixes and additions to the rest.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

As I told you on Discord, I'll check in out soon. Can't promise any extensive feedback, however, I don't play SC1 that often.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Chapter 04 version 2.0 is here and ready for testing. It's quite the one, too!. Glhf and give me feedback :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I've updated the pack to include RS05's remake as well. Give it a spin.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

RS06 - The Bone of Contention is now up and ready for play. Enjoy ^_^

Attachments

• Reborn Station + Genesis.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.