• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft - No LAN Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
yea i was hoping to get it around winter break and try it out before school started up again but now i gotta wait till like May, which leaves alot more time for changes and whatnot. just hoping theres LAN because that is how i can only play with half of my friends.

Level 4
Yes Im sort of disapointed theres no Lan me and my brother used to play with LAN but hey Blizzard doesnt want people installing it on multipple cpu's and stuff so thats ok. But ya I pre ordered the game to get here like sometime around now and then the next day blizzard says "by the way were extending the release date by a year have fun waiting". =[

Level 19
Yes Im sort of disapointed theres no Lan me and my brother used to play with LAN but hey Blizzard doesnt want people installing it on multipple cpu's and stuff so thats ok. But ya I pre ordered the game to get here like sometime around now and then the next day blizzard says "by the way were extending the release date by a year have fun waiting". =[

Blizzard never set a release date. It was an internal release date for them but the only thing they got finished was StarCraft II and not Battle.net 2.0.

Level 22
But this means no LAN finals, I think players play LAN right? So what some guys are on finals and cause they will only give us Bnet - Waiting To Disconnect ... Beep Beep... Your connection has been lost. I hope they make Garena work somehow, and we won't need LAN. Garena = virtual IPs in a virtual network.

Level 15
for the people complaing about how they need lan because of their limited bandwith? that is a stupid excuse. have you ever checked how much playing lets say 2 hours of bnet takes from your monthly GIGABYTES. well about 2-3 MEGABYTES. So ya that wont be a problem for you guys ;)

for the people complaing about how they need lan because of their limited bandwith? that is a stupid excuse. have you ever checked how much playing lets say 2 hours of bnet takes from your monthly GIGABYTES. well about 2-3 MEGABYTES. So ya that wont be a problem for you guys ;)

Dude, many people pay for minutes they are on. I remember when on modem 56k, how much money was gone due for playing starcraft. So I had to quit playing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Mechanical Man, "used to" is a key word you were missing from that sentance. Fact is everyone in South Korea has high speed internet with few restrictions (which is what the rest of the world should be like but that is another story). Fact is most people who play games have some sort of flat rate for internet capable of gameing. Fact is if you have a massive LAN network with 4-8 computers how the hell can you not aford a simple internet flatrate like ADSL as you are looking at atleast 8000$ in gameing equipment.

People complaining about SC2's lack of LAN support are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Mechanical Man, "used to" is a key word you were missing from that sentance. 1. Fact is everyone in South Korea has high speed internet with few restrictions (which is what the rest of the world should be like but that is another story). 2. Fact is most people who play games have some sort of flat rate for internet capable of gameing. Fact is if you have a massive LAN network with 4-8 computers how the hell can you not aford a simple internet flatrate like ADSL as you are looking at atleast 3. 8000$ in gameing equipment.

People complaining about SC2's lack of LAN support are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

1. good for them.

2. NO.

3. most ppl buy computers seperatly and for tasks other than SC. and online crap. most ppl write things on them. fancy that.

Level 19
just follow the link you posted yourself. that say that people is always connected when playing starcraft 2.

http://kotaku.com/5344013/starcraft-ii-can-be-played-offline

Also confirmed by Rob Pardo(one of the lead designers of StarCraft II) during the Battle.net 2.0 presentation on BlizzCon.

If you got any new information specifically from Blizzard that clearly states single player won't be playable offline please tell me. So far I've heard none.

I'm guessing you're going to try to crawl around and say that there is no guest mode because the button isn't in the beta. Well, actually Blizzard just removed it from the beta. Check the video and you'll see that the feature is still there.
http://www.starcraft2.com/features/misc/battlenet.xml

Level 11
I've do have some decent connection, but does show some bad latency for Battle.Net. Some countries are still developing, and internet isn't their solution yet; some more developed countries such as China and Australia can easily get fast internet.

Again, the reason I have posted it is because of my brother and poverty which inequality around the world still exists. Its free, and its fast and you can set it up easily; simple ;) .

Wow.. What a dumb sh*t! You think Australians don't have fast Internet? You think Chinese don't have Internet? Seems like the only reason you want LAN implemented is so your brother and you can share 1 game.

Wow.. What a dumb sh*t! You think Australians don't have fast Internet? You think Chinese don't have Internet? Seems like the only reason you want LAN implemented is so your brother and you can share 1 game.

He just said they do i think mate. And i don't Think that what he meant. I want LAN so i can play a game with my brother. Without going way over my broadband and without LAG. and anyway, 2 computers using the same broadband unit cant communicate. (atleast in my experience) so... (and anyway my littlest brothers arent allowed to do online gaming, so its fun to play a LAN game with them) :D

Level 11
Originally Posted by pha0001
I've do have some decent connection, but does show some bad latency for Battle.Net.
Some countries are still developing, and internet isn't their solution yet;
If theyre developing, i doubt fast internet is a priority.

some more developed countries such as China and Australia can easily get fast internet.
What does this have to do with anything in any way? And you are grossly misinformed if you think China is developed.

Again, the reason I have posted it is because of my brother and poverty which inequality around the world still exists.

So let me get this straight. Your reasons are poverty and your brother. "great" reasons. I take it that your speaking on behalf of every developing country?

Its free, and its fast and you can set it up easily; simple ;) .

Bnet 2.0 is free, fast, set it up easy: simple ;)

@fussiler1 it just dissapoints me when people like him speak bs to try to convince other people. We are not stupid.

Level 19
I've do have some decent connection, but does show some bad latency for Battle.Net.

Fast internet is good for the economy.

some more developed countries such as China and Australia can easily get fast internet.
What does this have to do with anything in any way? And you are grossly misinformed if you think China is developed.

Rofl. China is developed, actually. Did you ever see such ghettos (sorry, couldn't find any other word for it) in China like those in India? Heck, extremely much factories settle in China for economic benefit.

Again, the reason I have posted it is because of my brother and poverty which inequality around the world still exists.

So let me get this straight. Your reasons are poverty and your brother. "great" reasons. I take it that your speaking on behalf of every developing country?

Pretty much developing countries have many poor people. So, I assume he does speak for most of them.

Its free, and its fast and you can set it up easily; simple ;) .

Bnet 2.0 is free, fast, set it up easy: simple ;)

As far as I know LAN requires a less stable connection.

@fussiler1 it just dissapoints me when people like him speak bs to try to convince other people. We are not stupid.

It all depends on opinions.

Level 17
Okay, there is no reason at all to jump on people like this only becouse they want LAN.
I can understand why they want it. Myself i do not need it at all, i find it useless.
But there is times where a LAN feature could be very good to have.
I know that sometimes when my friends LAN they do not always have internet connection, becouse it start to lag if all of them try to connect at the same time, so they just play LAN against each other, etc.
Not everyone have access to internet all the time, i know a few of my RL friends that only have connection when they are at their dads house. And becouse they go back and forth between mom and dad every week, it ends up with only having access to internet every second week.
And only becouse they do not have internet, they cant even play with someone sitting next to him/her, and that seems a bit odd, doesnt it.

So there is valid reasons to why people want lan, but there is also good reasons to why blizzard doesnt want to support lan.

Level 11
Fast internet is good for the economy.

Rofl. China is developed, actually. Did you ever see such ghettos (sorry, couldn't find any other word for it) in China like those in India? Heck, extremely much factories settle in China for economic benefit.

Pretty much developing countries have many poor people. So, I assume he does speak for most of them.

As far as I know LAN requires a less stable connection.

It all depends on opinions.

Is this guy serious?

I would love to beat your argument to a pulp, but then i will be accused of trolling. So I wont, but i just want to say that 60 percent of what your saying is complete bs. China isn't a developing nation? Learn the facts, I study honours economics, what do you do? I think I have a better grasp of economies, and what affects them. Please refrain from posting ludicrious messages with the vocabulary of a 12 year old.

Level 19
Is this guy serious?

I would love to beat your argument to a pulp, but then i will be accused of trolling. So I wont, but i just want to say that 60 percent of what your saying is complete bs. China isn't a developing nation? Learn the facts, I study honours economics, what do you do? I think I have a better grasp of economies, and what affects them. Please refrain from posting ludicrious messages with the vocabulary of a 12 year old.

Heya. You guessed my age right. o_O

Sure, maybe China is a developing nation, but I've never heard of anyone dying of starvation there either.

Okay, there is no reason at all to jump on people like this only becouse they want LAN.
I can understand why they want it. Myself i do not need it at all, i find it useless.
But there is times where a LAN feature could be very good to have.
I know that sometimes when my friends LAN they do not always have internet connection, becouse it start to lag if all of them try to connect at the same time, so they just play LAN against each other, etc.
Not everyone have access to internet all the time, i know a few of my RL friends that only have connection when they are at their dads house. And becouse they go back and forth between mom and dad every week, it ends up with only having access to internet every second week.
And only becouse they do not have internet, they cant even play with someone sitting next to him/her, and that seems a bit odd, doesnt it.

So there is valid reasons to why people want lan, but there is also good reasons to why blizzard doesnt want to support lan.

i agree with this.
i just think that the good from LAN outweighs the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisruoy

'Fast internet is good for the economy.'
Fuss hit it right on the nose.

i'm not saying it the best tthing, and i don't think it is. whats wrong with trying to sway the crowd? most of his arguments are fine. most countries have their developed and undevelpoed regions, jsut like china. there is a large online community there, seperated by a lack of good internet sevices. i've done some study into it myself. and i've been to china. i saw what it was like there. his arguments are mainly rooted in fact. for the mos part, China IS developed. and it has a pwoerful industrial core. but liek many nations large parts of it are undeveloped. just liek in america. developed doesnt just mean cities. (i live on a small farm on a dirt road five hours for New York City.) if translated correctly and put into context his argument makes sense. THATS MY OPPINION.

Level 17
And how people dying in china becouse of starvation related to no LAN in starcraft 2?
And pretty much everything else..
Feels like you are talking about economy and not LAN, am i right?
I was going to post this yesterday but it thought that you guys were done talking about it, so i didnt. But i guess i were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.