• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Terraining Contest #1 Theme Poll

Choose your theme(s)!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
the%20hive%20workshop.png

StarCraft II Terraining Contest #1

I've picked the suggestions from the suggestion thread.

Now, time to vote!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
A and O here, to me at least, is going for a theme that will push people to try new angles with the editor. That's what drives the scene forward.

The Galaxy Editor is pretty much designed to do terrains like Terran Cityscapes, Protoss Cities, Zerg Infestations, and Space Stations. Because it's StarCraft. The Warcraft terraining scene has moved away from only producing typical high fantasy terrains, like it was designed for, to things it wasn't originally intended for.

Surreal art, steampunk, cyberpunk, urban cities, you name it. Contests with clever themes is part of what made it what it is today. I'm not saying it won't produce any good entries if we go with a StarCraft/Space theme, I'm just saying that it is very likely to produce a whole bunch of generic ones. And I'm not sure that's what we should be aiming for.

Level 27
Hmm, sad to see my suggestion of "Campaign Scene" didn't pass while there is such overlap between Apocalypse and Ruins themes, and Ruins and Ancient/Xel'Naga temple... and wouldn't it offer way more options to just combine Xel'Naga and Protoss themes into Alien Cities or Alien Structure?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
A and O here, to me at least, is going for a theme that will push people to try new angles with the editor. That's what drives the scene forward.

The Galaxy Editor is pretty much designed to do terrains like Terran Cityscapes, Protoss Cities, Zerg Infestations, and Space Stations. Because it's StarCraft. The Warcraft terraining scene has moved away from only producing typical high fantasy terrains, like it was designed for, to things it wasn't originally intended for.

Surreal art, steampunk, cyberpunk, urban cities, you name it. Contests with clever themes is part of what made it what it is today. I'm not saying it won't produce any good entries if we go with a StarCraft/Space theme, I'm just saying that it is very likely to produce a whole bunch of generic ones. And I'm not sure that's what we should be aiming for.
I took the suggestions I got in the thread, no one had replied and added new suggestions for a while.
Perhaps we'll have less StarCraft orientated themes next time.

@Tleno: That was an accident, actually, I forgot to add your suggestion.
I added your theme now and an option that allows everyone, who has already voted, to change their vote. :)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I wouldn't mind a more "special" theme in the future,
perhaps we'll get a few suggestions like that next time.
This might be the first, but certainly not the last
StarCraft II Terraining Contest. :)

Let's see how this first, more traditional one will turn out for now. :)

One week left, guys. ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.