• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SD/Misc] StarCraft Asset Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I've been working on a Zerg Campaign for War3. It uses many assets from Project Revolution, some which I modified to add things like sounds, attachment points, or collision boxes. That's about the extent of what I feel confident doing with the assets though, as I'm not much of an artist.

Anyway, I've compiled a short list of odds and ends that stuck out to me that I'd be grateful if anyone were to take a crack at. None of these are by any means essential for the project, but would improve the overall polish of it.

I've also attached a test map containing units that use all the assets mentioned in this thread so they're easy to play around with. Unlike the actual Campaign, it doesn't require the mod mpq or any specific version of the game. It of course doesn’t include any of the campaign’s gameplay functions though.

Zergling Burrow
For some reason, when these guys burrow they generate some kind of blood splatter as opposed to a dust cloud. Additionally, they don't leave a hole where they are burrowed, like other zerg units. Although currently I have a work-around for the burrow hole issue, but it uses a duplicate zergling model that has an attachment point specifically to add the hole.
ZerglingDrone.jpg
ZerglingDroneStartBurrow.jpg
ZerglingDroneEndBurrow.jpg

Additionally, they can't be clicked on when burrowed. Defilers have this problem too.

Structure Team Color
The structures Nydus Canal, and Defiler Mound lack team color. (Previously Hydra Den and Evo Chamber lacked it, but I found updated models for those two that added it)
ZergStructsWithNoTeamColor.jpg
ZergStructsTeamColorStarCraft.jpg

If you find yourself interested in contributing to the Zerg Campaign project, don't feel limited to this thread, you're welcome to touch-up/reskin/do-whatever to your heart's content. If not, thanks for reading through all this anyway!

Attachments

• zerg model test.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Level 13
I use Mdlvis to view bones if the bones in Magos is not labelled properly. I fixed the hand attachments for you.

As for the Zergling, it seems you are missing the "PrUnits\Units\Zerg\Zergling\burrow_cloud_recolor.blp" texture. If you add that, then the dust cloud should work properly, except for the hole. For the hole, I think it needs geomerging from the Cryptfiend. I heard geomerging easier now thanks to Retera's Model Studio though I have little to no experience though so I won't be able to help you on that.

Attachments

• mutalisk.mdx
    31.5 KB · Views: 7
  • WC3ScrnShot_042822_133743_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042822_133743_02.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Level 10
Thanks!

And woops, I imported that texture via Ladik's MPQ Editor, rather than the World Editor. Turns out assets imported that way don't really stick!

I've updated the OP map to include it properly. Still, it's one of my textures, literally just re-coloring the blood in the first screenshot, so it wouldn't stick out as much during gameplay. But it's definitely not a great solution.

I did try to use Retera to add the burrow hole, but couldn't really figure it out unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.