• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft 2 resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
There will be no map section, due to the fact that u have to download the maps from B.net online and u cant add maps u downloaded off websites for use on b.net .

And due to the lack of the abillity to make sc2 resources to the public, the resource section wont be open but idk

Level 7
Really so not even like a models/skin section or something like that? it seems like that could work becuase you can just port them into whatever map your working on right?

Level 19
Blame Ralle.

Ok. go make a site, lets see how good ur sc2 downloads section is lol.

Really so not even like a models/skin section or something like that? it seems like that could work becuase you can just port them into whatever map your working on right?

He said that, they might add an advertisement page that would have like maps and mods. so theres basically only going to be a pack section lol

Level 19
I still feel the needs for download sections or atleast fucking advertisement sections.

Level 31

lol its not that easy at all

most people still dont know how the hell to make SC2 models, so dont expect to even see a model section untill a large ammount of people figure out SC2 models (and skins, i heard the skinning would be hard too because a lot of models have more than 1 texture for higher quality)

Level 13
We can't really do map downloads, except for singleplayer maps. But we definitely DO need a maps section (albeit without a download option unless the map is not intended for battle.net), so that people can see what's out there, know when something's updated, make comments/reviews, etc.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Things with mods will be quite confusing, no? If each map maker makes a new mod, you will need to download tons of mods. On the other hand, if each map maker uses mods with more resources than those they need, you're downloading an unnecessary amount of resources.
The alternative seems to be uploading each model or skin as a mod, assuming maps can use an unlimited number of mods. I wonder if this is way it's going to be?

Level 11
Things with mods will be quite confusing, no? If each map maker makes a new mod, you will need to download tons of mods. On the other hand, if each map maker uses mods with more resources than those they need, you're downloading an unnecessary amount of resources.
The alternative seems to be uploading each model or skin as a mod, assuming maps can use an unlimited number of mods. I wonder if this is way it's going to be?
You download an unnecessary amount of resources once. Doesn't seem like a big deal, since its a one time thing for any map. Also, I assume there will either be individual mods for models and such, and then packs with multiple models or whatever. Depends how people want to approach it.

The mod approach of blizzard is one of the things that really makes me wanting to hug them and never let them go :/

I am currently planning on creating a universal hero attachment model pack that includes both a male and a female basic hero models with alternate attachable heads and attachment models.
With the mod approach, you need to download this pack once (and every time I update it) and do not have to worry about it again for every map that uses this pack.
And don't forget that you get around the stupid map size limit like that.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Downloading unescescary models is not that bad. It is once off keep in mind.
You download an unnecessary amount of resources once. Doesn't seem like a big deal, since its a one time thing for any map. (...)
I understand, but artistic resources in Starcraft II seem to take a lot, and downloading mods for maps you won't play again seems rather space-consuming.

I understand, but artistic resources in Starcraft II seem to take a lot, and downloading mods for maps you won't play again seems rather space-consuming.
Ah, c'mon, who really cares about having to download a minute or two once?
Seriously, have you played the campaign? Half of the time you are staring at a loading screen. I think that is much worse than downloading map resources on bnet. Nowadays people don't use ISDN anymore. You can download like 10 megs of data in less than a minute. Lobby and map loading takes more time.

It's just not a very organized way to do it. There's no awesome search filters and stuff that we have here on the Hive that makes it easy to find exactly what you're looking for.

Because clearly, it would be better to have every map with any decent amount of custom resources be over 50 mbs, as opposed to having to download those 50 mbs once and never redling it.

This is true. I didn't really consider that. However I stand by my point above.

Status
Not open for further replies.