• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

starcraft 2 rated 16 in europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
SC1 was rated 18, yet I played it when I was 6. Ratings doesn't matter at all.

I played GTA and CS from like eight years, and what? In Lithuania, there is no pegi... well actually there are pegi raitings marked on CDs, but oficially there are no laws about all that... You can buy any game you want, not depending from age...
Plus I'm already 16, I can have no worries about this...

Level 21
the first starcraft was rated 15. i dont want starcraft 2 to be rated so high. besides because of the strict laws in norway blizzard will lose a big number of people unless they get the rating down to 12. in norway it is illegal to sell games to minors. it could also be illegal to buy games for minors.

Level 19
the first starcraft was rated 15. i dont want starcraft 2 to be rated so high. besides because of the strict laws in norway blizzard will lose a big number of people unless they get the rating down to 12. in norway it is illegal to sell games to minors. it could also be illegal to buy games for minors.

Just buy it on Amazon and you're done?

Level 13
Works that way with some stores in the US. They ask me for my driver's license to prove that I'm 18 or older if I want to buy any M rated games. Of course, I don't have the money to have a car (i.e. no driver's license) and I'm still 17 for about a month, so I am screwed out of buying said games. At least there's torrents...

So yeah, the game shops will ask for identification.

Level 2
I'agree that the partents must take the decision.

If your parents is 60 years old, you must be worried. Lol

But I think if this is right, you are probably more than 16 years old.

If is dangerous, is for the perfection of the game, and so we can become addicted.

Level 16
Well I'm 16 so it shouldnt be a problem..
In here, the netherlands, they occasionally force you to show your ID.. But mostly not..
My friend wanted to buy some 16+ game some time ago from the money he got from his birthday, he gave an early party so he wasnt 16 for 4 more days.. The shop wouldnt give it to him.. So he gave the game and some money to a guy behind him, and he bought it.. The shop girl saw it but still made the guy buy the game for my friend.. it's just plain stupid ><

Level 9
Well I'm 16 so it shouldnt be a problem..
In here, the netherlands, they occasionally force you to show your ID.. But mostly not..
My friend wanted to buy some 16+ game some time ago from the money he got from his birthday, he gave an early party so he wasnt 16 for 4 more days.. The shop wouldnt give it to him.. So he gave the game and some money to a guy behind him, and he bought it.. The shop girl saw it but still made the guy buy the game for my friend.. it's just plain stupid ><

good idea... i should try it sometime...

Level 21
in norway the shopping age rules are rather strict. in order to buy beer people have to show id if they are under the age of 25.(though they only need to be 18 but, they must show id to prove that they are 18 or older before they turn 25.) the age requirement to buy cigarettes is also 18 but few shops seem to care about that.(i dont smoke anyway or drink alcohol for that matter. it is just an example.) the rules on games however is very strict.

Level 27
in norway the shopping age rules are rather strict. in order to buy beer people have to show id if they are under the age of 25.(though they only need to be 18 but, they must show id to prove that they are 18 or older before they turn 25.) the age requirement to buy cigarettes is also 18 but few shops seem to care about that.(i dont smoke anyway or drink alcohol for that matter. it is just an example.) the rules on games however is very strict.

25? Pft, in this age people stop drinking in my country...

Level 7
who reported my post so that i ended up with reduced reputation

Usually if someone reports a post it's for good reason and quite frankly I'm not surprised that you were reported for this thread. All you've done the entire thread was whine about how you might not be able to buy Starcraft 2 and quite frankly I don't disagree with the lawmakers on that. The reason media is rated is not just because the content of the product itself but to restrict those who shouldn't necessarily have access to a product (ie hyper-violent media for younger audiences). If your country says 16+ then whining on hiveworkshop will not change that.

As for my opinion I hope that the age limit is increased to stop the influx of younger audiences who don't understand the concept of internet consequences. Granted there are many good younger players and many adult players who are complete a**es but I find it much easier to ignore a frat boy swearing on Halo (or any game for that matter) than someone who isn't even 18 yet (not that being 18 gives anyone a license to swear).

Level 9
I totaly agree with KaboomMaster. If you ask me, there should be stricter control in all countrys. Kids today are just growing up to soon. And for me, one of the ugliest things is to hear 7 years old kid swearing, kids in fifth grade smoking and kids in eighth grade drinking till they black out.

Games are no differend. How many times did I read in newspaper that kid killed his dad cuz he beat him in Fifa or didn't let him play CoD...

Level 27
I totaly agree with KaboomMaster. If you ask me, there should be stricter control in all countrys. Kids today are just growing up to soon. And for me, one of the ugliest things is to hear 7 years old kid swearing, kids in fifth grade smoking and kids in eighth grade drinking till they black out.

Games are no differend. How many times did I read in newspaper that kid killed his dad cuz he beat him in Fifa or didn't let him play CoD...

You know, it's not about age. It's about how aprents raised the children. Some of my classmates started to smoke in sixth grade and drink in eight. I didn't. OSme others didn't too.
See, my parents taught me about all of this, and as I found most of parents of those moron classmates or have lots of work, or are even away earning money in other country (emmigration for better work is a big problem here in Lithuania). You know very often the parents how are very good people and have a good jobs have very problematic children?! That's because of laack of love of attention.

About those murder things... I heard about most of them and in all of them there were some kind of mental problems with those people and anuy reason could make them kill a person. I played GTA and CS from 8 years and look at me, I'm not like those morons, while some others could have started playing games like this much later than me and are more aggresive.

Parents blame games just because they can't or don't want to realise that it's their fault.

Level 7
I totaly agree with KaboomMaster. If you ask me, there should be stricter control in all countrys. Kids today are just growing up to soon.

Not to sound disagreeable but kids today are actually growing up (in developed countries) slower than ever before. If you look back pre-Victorian there was really no concept of "children" as we know them today instead there was simply working age or not of working age with working age being somewhere around 8 years old when you would learn your trade as an apprentice (of course this didn't apply to royalty but that's to be expected).

And for me, one of the ugliest things is to hear 7 years old kid swearing, kids in fifth grade smoking and kids in eighth grade drinking till they black out.

I completely agree and personally I blame the attention given to swearing, drinking, ect. because it makes the child feel like they're doing something cool or rebellious rather than rude or stupid.

Sad indeed but there have also been many cases of adults doing similar over things that happened in WoW. Also violent movies are very often even more accessible so I wouldn't say videogames are to blame.

You know, it's not about age. It's about how aprents raised the children. Some of my classmates started to smoke in sixth grade and drink in eight. I didn't. OSme others didn't too.
See, my parents taught me about all of this, and as I found most of parents of those moron classmates or have lots of work, or are even away earning money in other country (emmigration for better work is a big problem here in Lithuania). You know very often the parents how are very good people and have a good jobs have very problematic children?! That's because of laack of love of attention.
Parents blame games just because they can't or don't want to realise that it's their fault.

True on all accounts and nicely put.

Level 11
If someone is going to murder someone, I would have to say they are pretty fucked up to begin with. If anything, playing violent video games does not encourage this behavior, rather being psychopathic leads one to playing such games more often than normal.

Blaming video games is just pathetic. If anything, blame the parents who think that letting a child play games is a good alternative to parenting them. Also, its not like underage drinking/drugs or kids being immature is anything new.

Level 13
My God this discussion makes the lot of us sound like old geezers.

Anyway, a lot of kids will find a way to get around the censor. I could have easily handled this game when I was twelve, but I guess it's up to a generic law document to decide what's best for the Eurokids.

Level 9
I agree with Tleno about parents being very influencal, but age also plays a role, although not so much if parents are good. But if parents are passive and kid gets a violent game, it will probably affect his behavior more if he is younger, although it depends from person to person.

And about what Kaboommaster said about kids growing up, they had to work while they were young, since most of them were very poor. Their mental potencial was rarely used at it's full capacity. Today most of the familys are not in that condicion and kids can grow mentaly much more than kids from 200 years ago and more. But it is quite hard to actually compare them, right?

And psycho kids. Games are usualy just trigger, but if they snap out cuz of game, you know almost for sure than they will snap out later cuz of something else.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
WC3 was rated 12.
D2 was rated 16.

Honestly it might be good that its given 16 as smart people do not abide to the age restrictions (see they are total nonsense) while it gives younger people a chance to develope more before playing and spamming the boards with questions like "what is cos?".

Level 25
people should complain to blizzard about that.
In Sweden, this means:
You can buy the game even if you’re younger than the “Recommendation”, but we strongly suggest you not to.

Don't know about the rest of you, but this is way better than an “Age Restriction”.
It's the parents job to "decide" what their kids should play and not, in my opinion.
Damn… Parents are lazy today, for real…

Level 16
In Sweden, this means:
You can buy the game even if you’re younger than the “Recommendation”, but we strongly suggest you not to.

Don't know about the rest of you, but this is way better than an “Age Restriction”.
It's the parents job to "decide" what their kids should play and not, in my opinion.
Damn… Parents are lazy today, for real…
It's the same here. Well, they're not even 'strongly' suggesting it, it's just a guideline. No shop will ask a kid for their id if they want to buy a game. I think even a 10-year old would easily be able to buy a 10+ rated game. Perhaps the guy at the store will ask the kid if he really wants to buy it because their's blood/gore/sex/chewed off limbs in the game but he'll sell it to him anyways. Especially because if he doesn't sell it, the kid simply goes to the next shop.

It is the parents' job imo.

Level 21
norway is a country that doesnt always work too well. norwegian shops however operate on very strict rules. for example if a game is rated 12 the person buying it need to prove that that person is old enough. (at least that is what i believe but, how sure can i be.) at least it is that way with games rated 16 or 18. if shops break the restriction they risk being sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.