• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New feature = 100's of players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from several reliable sources that Blizzard have been working on a "NEW really special feature" on one of their games, can it be Starcraft 2 they were talking about maybe?

Rumors saying that Blizzard found an idea of making an extra feature to Starcraft 2 where over 100's of players could play at same map, and at same time.
Is it possible? Altough they have the best programmers and UNLIMITED money to work on..

Would be kind of cool to play with 100's of ppl with large alliances and stuff, and play on a europe or world map!! =)

I would never leave my apartment, ever, ever, ever again! I would starve to death.. -.-

Anyways, what do you think?
Would you appreciate a game with 100's of players? =)

Level 21
8 in melee, you don't really know for sure if custom games will have the same limit.

Technically, it's "possible" to have that many players in a game, I mean, look at MMO's. There's no reason it "wouldn't" work on RTS games. The hard part would be that custom games on battle.net are player-hosted, which will mean that 95% of the players would not have a strong enough internet connection to support more than, say, 20 players.

Level 16
Well, MMO is a game hosted on a dedicated server with lots and lots of MB/s. If some1 could try to host a, say, 50vs50 game, 20-30/100 players would lag/have wooden pc/disconnect so it leaves you to a 70-80 players left, IF, host can handle it, which I doubt. So, implementing the system itself is not that hard. Making it efficient however is.

Level 9
This kind of thing is already being done on warcraft, look at project warsock under reinventing the craft. and if somehow blizzard made a system in which everyones computer banded together to increase processing power (this would be very tough, but possible), it could happen

Level 12
100 players? i would say, in an RTS, that would become quite unbalanced

some people, on this god-forsakenly large map, would constantly fight eachother until one of them died, while on other places, good players would crush all the not-so-good-players and gain more bases and more income

and 100 players is just not needed. 8 players is fine, and in a game with 100 players, there is bound to laggy

oh, and its not the same as in an MMO, not even close. Your computer does not get all the information about what is happening in your realm. You just recieve information about what is in happening within your proximity

Level 19
What if Blizzard made a server dedicated to host for us? If I click host then the server will create a map for me and everyone could join and play. Wouldn't that be great?(PS It would require a hellish a lot of servers.)

Level 16
Well, for example, if we look at garena client, there are ~50-60k people online playing warcraft. If you split that to Asia, America N & S and Europe, you get roughly ~15-20k ppl per server, meaning that there will be ~150-200 fullhouse servers online 24/7 which isn't that bad. But if the game would be as successful as WoW it would mean another dedicated server blizzard has to pay for...

Level 13
What if Blizzard made a server dedicated to host for us? If I click host then the server will create a map for me and everyone could join and play. Wouldn't that be great?(PS It would require a hellish a lot of servers.)
Say hello to monthly fees. Seriously, SOMEONE would have to fund that server and that someone is Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.