1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 Modeling, why is it failing?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by BlinkBoy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How can you be so sure.

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am guessing there was some announcement to change the scripting support.

3. Stormlegacy

Stormlegacy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's been so long since I've been to this site! SC2 modeling isn't failing. It took a long time for Wc3's modeling to take off and those days were much more simple. With Startools coming out we'll finally be able to edit the models properly without 3rd party tools. It would be amazing if we could incorporate a way to edit D3 models with it too! Also after reading some of the threads about modding with D3/WoW models...you guys clearly don't understand Blizzards rules about use of their models. Pull your heads out of your asses.

4. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Enlight us, master.

5. Stormlegacy

Stormlegacy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Blizzard has stated multiple times since SC2 came out that models from their universes are fair game. They have also posted videos of people who modded WoW and Diablo 3 models into SC2. Time for you guys to update your rulebook. Things have changed since 2004 when this site was called Wc3sear.ch

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  6. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So Starcraft ArtTOols will be avaible... but the multiplayer mapsize is still 20 mb limted?

Why not incease it to 50 or even 100 mb.

7. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    look for autodesk's 3dsmax 2012's faq and 2013's faq. There's a part in which they explain backward compatibility for each.

Well that's the main idea of mods. The thing is that the community should classify the assets into different mods, so there wuldn't be redundancies.

8. Anvil

Anvil

Resources:
    Models:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For me, the release of this tools will finally kill Warcraft III. Because with this, you can easy port all the models from Warcraft III to Starcraft II, also make your own models with all the options that Starcraft II supports. (Those things that m3 plugin don't support.)

I think, nobody gonna use the World Editor if you can do alot of new things with Galaxy.

Ofcourse, alot of people will stay in Warcraft III but I think that is because they can't run starcraft II or don't wanna learn how to use the Galaxy editor (A complexity issue?).

9. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Why Blizz doesnt add more space per map not just 20 is to low? WHY?

They could make something like SKyrim nexus.

2.Extra Question: How hard is to make and Editor like Starcraft 2? Couse all the other games editor are kind of crap.

10. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It won't make portying easier, pretty much the same as know. Plus, wc3 models look terrible in sc2.

Also remember, that galaxy editor is way more complex than world editor, just like sc2 modeling is way more complex than wc3 modeling.

Galaxy Editor wasn't started from scratch for sc2, it was an evolution of sc2's world editor, just like sc2's core is an evolution of wc3's core (software recycling). To be honest, a tool like galaxy editor is an increadible good example of good software design. The decisions they took concerning data editing and structuring were obviously continouesly revised. Tools like those prove that blizzard doesn't make you wait for 10 years without doing anything. It really proves they kept redesigning and evolving their model in order to match perfection. As a software engineer, I can tell that making and planning such a tool is not something you can achieve in a short life cycle.

11. Anvil

Anvil

Resources:
    Models:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know Warcraft has really low poly models compared with Starcraft. But models look like crap because people just converts the models and uses the diffuse texture without make the normals, speculars and emitter texture. Also, you know starcraft 2 models looks horrible and low poly without these textures.

12. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    not only that but in order to make them decent, some parts need to be remodeled and others need more details. Therefore, making the process a bit longer.

13. Stormlegacy

Stormlegacy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I've found that adding specular and normal maps to WoW models doesn't really even enhance them enough to be worth the extra file size.

14. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You don't need to worry. Medieval models is not what keeps Wc3 alive. Every large release hinders wc3's activity, but it has managed to keep a decent number of users around, regardless.

15. Sorceress

Sorceress

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I thought Magos would make a new model editor..
    Thread Link

[​IMG]

hm, guess not.

16. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Dudes where are my Starcraft2 Art Tools????? + increase of my size.

They released them yet?

17. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, most likely with Legacy of the Void.

18. Walle

Walle

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6160326046
    They had an a closed beta sign up some time ago, but you can't sign up anymore. I got into the beta anyways and it's working really well so you can expect it coming with HoTs.

19. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Man here is a problem:

With the art tools u will be able to add new animation to Starcraft 2 but only 1 or 2 at a time? To add them like files without the reimport the model.
    For ex: In Warcraft 3 if i want to add just 1 more anim to a unit i cant add just the new anim file(witch can be 5 kb), I have to add the entire model again + the new anim so the space will grow much larger.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You can use auxilery animation files. The civilian units use these and what is good is the same animation can be mapped to many base models (obviously they must be compatible with it).