1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 Modeling, why is it failing?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by BlinkBoy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Revilo

Revilo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  2. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's nDo2

3. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What I've seen so far regarding specularity, there is no single formula unlike normal and emissive. Normal - you make all textures orange normal in the same way, emissive - you just do brighten up the lights and the rest is black pretty much the same formula.

For specular it really depends on what you will use it for - some metal things may require lighter colors but not white-silver as then the whole model would rather be white than metallic/silver, at the same time not too dark. Others require darker specular maps and they won't shine too much.

But so far I haven't found a single formula to do all metal and organic units with the same level of specularity. It's like this texture has to be decided based on what you will use it for. I use gimp and idk any 'perfect' way to do specular maps other than chaning the colors differently for each unit you want to use.

4. Walle

Walle

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    When doing a specular map, I usually just change it and tweak the map in photoshop until I get the result I wanted.

5. xXm0RpH3usXx

xXm0RpH3usXx

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    omg, dont be so stubborn, if you had bought your crazybump licence legally, you would know its twice as much as nDo2.
    and honestly, i have read so much about it, from vraious people, people that actually are in the industry and have a lot of experience with crazybump, that nDo in fact is more precise. (plus, i used both myself, too)
    i'm nopt going to argue with you, think what you want, i just wanted to state another pov for people who read this...

About the specmaps:
    yes, specmaps dont need to be greyscale, infact, dielectric materials are most commonly made with a red/green colored specmap.

6. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in. Ignoring all the issues with getting models to work within SC2, there's the issue of making the model itself. I know that you guys have mentioned nDo2 and CrazyBump, but those are primarily used for inorganic models and tileable textures. They come in handy, but aren't great for everything. There is a huge skillset required for SC2 modeling and "next-gen" modeling in general that the community here isn't very familiar with.

For example, you guys are talking about specular maps and are having trouble understanding how they work. Specular maps are used to help define material definition via shininess and highlight color. They're what make highlights pop. The more shiny something is, the brighter the color on the specular map. Things like skin will be darker, while metals and other shiny/glossy materials will be lighter. As well, color plays a big part in specular maps, though they can be black and white. Since specular maps are additive, it is a good idea to sometimes (like in the case of skin) use a negative color. Because of this, if you look at specular maps of skin, many of them have a blue hue.

If you guys want, I could create a pretty simple tutorial on the process of making a "next-gen" model. But if you find yourselves confused, just use the google machine! There's a lot of information and tutorials on the web. Or ask me. I don't know much about SC2 modding, but I know plenty about making game assets.

7. SexyZwonne

SexyZwonne

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, it cant hurt, now can it? :)

8. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    K, I'll make one then! Just note that it won't involve SC2, just modeling in general. And it'll be fairly basic, but I may make a more advanced one later.

Just a heads up, it'll involve the following programs:
    3ds Max
    ZBrush
    Photoshop
    CrazyBump

#Edit
    Keep in mind that I won't be able to go too in to depth with the individual programs, as that'd get rather complex and tedious, but there are plenty of tutorials for the respective programs on the web!

9. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    For sculping I prefer mudbox rather than zBrush. The problem is not that, but the idea is to do things FAST, for me sculping a model takes more than making the mesh itself. I think the best option is to do a hybrid 3ds-max bumping, photoshop and crazybump (need to look at that nDo2, looks promising).

10. xXm0RpH3usXx

xXm0RpH3usXx

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well, why not use sculptris for that? i mean, its free, as that seems to be a discussion point here, too.

and honestly, supa, i know you are able to make that tutorial, but there is enough info already out there...

11. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    50 USD. Nuff said.

Don't forget that animations are well detailed. An attack animation could be 4K frames for that matter.
    Oh, and that you need 3DS max 2010 or 2011. And to make emissives you just paint black all areas you don't want to emit light, and then grayscale and darken as much as you can without losing too much detail on the parts you want.

Bah, just PM me if you need any help.

12. Jack Of Hearts

Jack Of Hearts

Resources:
    Resources:
    I say give it time...

13. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    SO man if imake a S2 model can i just make a mesh in the 3ds max then export it with that importer\exporter for m3 plugin who will use in game textures and only the basic map the difusee? For a building and some animations?

14. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, you can use diffuse only.

As for the animations, you need to consider a time-per-frame. Usually, we use 1000 frames per second or so. You should use less because it's a building.

15. FockeWulf

FockeWulf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  16. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Dudes the multiplayer map size for Starcraft 2 was 20 mb, but did they incresed it latly couse is still not enought?

Starcraft 2 has a good editor but the limitation is very bad.

17. CRAZYRUSSIAN

CRAZYRUSSIAN

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It seems the people who made warcraft moved on to do something else, and they had different people make starcraft, who did not know what they where doing.

Even though I played, like 5+ years of warcraft, I have never played any starcraft yet!
    One look at it explained it all.

They used the warcraft cartoony style for sarcraft game, everything is round and cartoony. So I knew it was going to be a weak game before even playing it.

So sad indeed.

18. Anvil

Anvil

Resources:
    Models:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have the nDo plugin for photoshop.

19. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Startools, praise the lord.

EN-EU and EN-US 'Sign in's

20. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I would like to add that 3dsmax 2011's plugins are compatible with 3dsmax 2012, so if you have that version, don't hesitate to try them. However, they will definetly not work for 3dsmax 2013.