• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spore Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Spore Evolution - GUI Expert Needed (for basic help)

I'm looking for one or more highly experienced GUI programmers who can fix a few bugs and get this project back on track, then help continue it with me. I'm good at GUI so you wouldn't be doing it all alone.

Done so Far
-------------------

I've been working on a fairly complex spore recreation (But done differently) and have run into a lot of snags and some harder to fix bugs. So in effort to keep this project going, I'm looking for an experienced mapper that can help me co-create this thing. I already know exactly how I want it to be done, but I need a lot of help.

The camera angles are unique and follow you around, sometimes at a lower 3rd person view. At each stage, what you pick and evolve with stays with you throughout the game.

Basically, it starts really easy, as a cell. The only thing you need to do is eat food and/or kill enemies (which have their own AI, so you will be competing for your food, but no worries, they start easy). As you level, you randomly gain a stat point (dmg, attack speed, movement speed, hp and mystic power) and you choose to upgrade towards carnivore, herbivore or both (omnivore). At level 5 you can choose to evolve into the next phase or stay and gain more stats until level 10.

The next phase is the Ocean phase (I really wanted to make ocean terrain so I added it in). Here you get +8 stats per level and one random stat. Again, you find algae or meat depending on what you picked in phase 1. Again, you evolve at level 5 or you can wait until later. The AI is a little better here and they evolve just like you do. Don't try and take on the higher levels or you will lose one of ten lives you get.

After the ocean phase, you receive a bonus in whatever stat you picked most and move onto land. Here you get nest mates that can aid you in battle. Similar to the first two stages, you can level up just by eating, but if you want faster experience you have to take on enemy nests. Every level you gain, you can pick a passive ability to add to your creature.

And that's how far I am now. I am also working on a random terrain generator for the Land area that includes hills, impassible mountains, spires, valleys, volcanoes, mountain ranges, continents and islands, as well as random weather effects including thunderstorm, rain, wind, tornado, and calm, along with lighter and darker nights.

So I plan to make this project a grand one, however, I need a lot of help. If someone's willing to put a lot of time and effort into a grand project. PLEASE contact me. I need experienced mappers who can use GUI to it's fullest and if you know jass, that's always a plus.

Future Plans
Ideally, I want phase 4 to give you a new option to build buildings. The first of which is the town center. You will need to collect food and bring it back to the center with the help of your nest mates who are now under your control. From there you can build huts, some kind of tech center, toolsmiths, graineries, shaman huts. You'll be able to research different technologies and equip your units with spears, axes, shields, plate armor, fishing rods, hammers, and staffs. (These things will require you to gather wood)

The Mysic powers you had the option to choose earlier will influence your shaman abilities...deciding which you can and can't have by how much mana you have.

Society no longer progresses with the evolve button...instead you just tech up through the ages...

For example, weaponry will start with knife tech and advanse to spear thenn bow then sword then crossbow, early guns, later guns ect ect. More modern/sophisticated comes into play after that.

Samething happens with armor and other technologies. You would see technology pass our own and eventually reach the stars. You would require different resources for different technologies, some will be harder/easier to find depending on the random terrain generated...And you will be able to "overgraze" your resources...impending doom to you and your neighbors.

Tribal and civ stages are more or less combined into one constantly changing phase. Once a player reaches stage, he can no longer go down to a planet and instead goes to a 4th area on the map where you see planets and nebulas and blackholes and such. Here you'll be able to click on your own planet and upgrade certain things or build certain units. (it becomes a unit you click with pages of stuff you can build). Once you get your tech high enough you can build faster space vehicles and find other people or computer players.

You will need a lot of resources and you may need to find planets abundant with a certain resource. This planet may require terraform or may already have a growing civilization on it (computer owned). Resources will be able to be traded or raided from computer players or human players.

Some players may still be int he land area for a little while, but you can't attack them until they're in space. You can raid them tho or provide resources for them.

Each player gets a set amount of lives...the object is to eliminate your opponents and conquer the galaxy or destroy the evil grox which will have a difficulty setting set aside just for them.

I've put this project on an indefinite hold...until someone comes help me sort out some bugs and puts me back on track. From there they can help me finish it and add ideas if they so choose.

Remember, experienced GUI programmers only!

More info and reviews/screenshots can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/spore-evolution-108287/

Level 2
great w/ gui and definitely ready to help - message me if you still need the position filled. I can provide you with some sample work if needed, just ask me to do something.

Please answer me back, either PM or here, I am very interested.

Are the creatures going to be creatable like they are in spore? If yes, I could start working on a gui creature creation system.

Level 6
Well I did give it to chaoslord and he said he fixed some stuff but I haven't heard back from him nor have I gotten his version.

I've completely stopped working on it for quite some time now to work on an RTS whoes production has slowed to a snails pace. Now, I'm working on starcraft maps lol...they get done faster >>

Anyways, if you'd like to finish it, I'd be more than greatful. I'd let you finish it however you like, but if you need ideas/want to finish it how I planned I can work with you on that.

The most updated version I have IS the uploaded version provided in the link above.

Level 1
I won't be able to help, but I do feel like commenting on how nice those screenshots look.

Status
Not open for further replies.