• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SPIKES IN MODELS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So i am encountering the problem with spikes in models. I am doing a map for about 3 weeks. I've been importing models with no problems (sometimes problems with paths). but today... I have imported couple new models (raptors, arakkoa, dragons) and had no problems with raptors, worked perfectly. But after i imported Arakkoa models (attached files) I encountered a problem. when i launched a game, these models had a weird spikes effect that I havent added or anything (tga screenshots are attached). I have restarted WE and it was fixed, but it was still in the game, i have no idea what is it, it is happening on arakkoa models, gronn and arcane wrath model. Anyone knows?

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_011922_193206_01.tga
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • WC3ScrnShot_011922_193237_02.tga
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • Arakkoa (Burning Crusade) COLOR VARIATIONS.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Level 21
That looks like you gave them the spiked carapace, or they are under a buff with that special effect?!
Actually, does it happen with more models?
Is the bug gone when you delete all arakoa models from your map? (But keep the gronn and elemental)

Level 7
Well I didn't give any buffs or anything. it doesnt happen to all models, just couple of them that I have downloaded. it is still there on gronn etc after i delete arakoa. also even though arakkoa are there, i import other models and they work fine. I think it is something wrong with models
That looks like you gave them the spiked carapace, or they are under a buff with that special effect?!
Actually, does it happen with more models?
Is the bug gone when you delete all arakoa models from your map? (But keep the gronn and elemental)

If the model is malformed then you will need to fix the model. The difficult part might be discovering which model is malformed since model A in the world could cause parts of model B in the world to attach to model C in the world for all we might know.
Yeah that could be hard, especially that i ain't good at making models, so discovering a part that is malformed could be a problem. Also I was wondering if the fact that im on 1.28b path and not the latest could do anything to that? maybe these models are for 1.31 or something?

Alright now I noticed that when I download models with #reforged, they have these weird spikes, so it may be a version issue

Level 41
i noticed that arakkoa model had duplicate geosets and they had vertices attached to bones improperly, which is what i think was causing your problem
so i deleted these geosets and optimized the model with this
there is still a lot of errors in sanity tester but i think your problem should be fixed now

Attachments

• Arakkoa_opt.mdx
    420.3 KB · Views: 6
Level 7
Spikes are still there sadly, uhh... my final guess is that version issue. could it be that these model use HD format (1000)? i am not using reforged version and I think all models are on old engine (SD), and when i import hd model it will just have weird bugs, am I correct? if so, is there a way to convert HD model to SD?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
could it be that these model use HD format (1000)?
Obviously not as those models will not load at all in legacy builds or when running classic graphics.

It is possible that during the Reforged patching process the developers fixed some of the bugs, like dangling references, which is why the models seemingly work fine in game now, but still break badly in legacy builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.