• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

sphinx.blp

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
this is my first try at skinning
its a sphinx
give credits if use :)

i tried my best to improve the shading and mane
added fur texture,better skin shading

Keywords:
sphinx, egypt, myth
Contents

sphinx (Texture)

Reviews
Kimberly: Hio, hey. You really need to work on your shading, your outlines are also WAAAYYY too strong and thick. Just as a reminder, skins require 75% freehand. Alot of your shading is flat, and I believe the body of the lion thing is cnp from the...
Footman16
Ah great attempt for a first skin! There's freehand here which is really good for your first texture, there's attempts made at shading and highlights and there is a lot of effort here. However the end result is not the best and could use some...

M

Kimberly: Hio, hey. You really need to work on your shading, your outlines are also WAAAYYY too strong and thick. Just as a reminder, skins require 75% freehand.
Alot of your shading is flat, and I believe the body of the lion thing is cnp from the gryphon. Please shade things in a better manner by looking up some tutorials on the site "deviantart.com". Use the search function to look for as many useful tutorials as you can.
At the moment, the texture needs alloooot more work and Teamcolour needs to be more visible, if you have any questions please PM me.

CNP=Copy and paste
Freehand=Using painting/drawing methods that involve the use of the manual brush with no hue changing settings.
It also seems to me you use a filter for the torso part, filters are not freehand.

Please rename the textures/skins blp file. "15" is not a suitable name.
I am leaving this here in pending so you can get feedback from the community, but instead of posting "first skins here", please use the texturing forum for feedback as skins section should be for finalized skins only that follow the rules.

I will give you a week to update, otherwise this will be rejected.

Kimberly (26/07/10):
Gday, Although I am very happy you are updating the texture, I think it is not of enough quality to be approved or kept pending. I have let you receive feedback from the community but will have to reject this as this cannot stay here for long.

You are free to post your texture and ask for more feedback in the texturing forum. Once your texture is of enough quality (please post in the texturing forum first), please do post it. Thankyou.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You're on the right path, you just need to practise more and also spend more time working on your textures. You need to soften the shading, as in add several more levels of colour and brightness - right now it appears very flat. You should refrain from using other people's work to get away easily; it hurts the quality of the skin and takes away valuable experience that you need. Lastly, try to use the forum to get some tips while you're working on your skin(s).

Good luck!

Level 8
The concept is really great bro, also, you picked the right unit to do it. Just work on the texture and it will be great. Like Kimberly said, deviantart is your friend :)

Level 6
I think this is a really good idea. Though it could use work, don't give up, keep trying to improve it because it'd look great at it's best.

Okay, get rid of the spike on its head, possible by the rubber button. Where it would be darker, try the burn button, like on its stomach. Where the light will hit it directly, use the dodge button. Now, i dunno if your sphinx is supposed to be rock skin or fur skin. Im not too sure about the rock skin, but for fur do light burn and dodge using 1 pixel brush going in the same direction, preferably following the shapes of its body. You could also see some reference pictures like a lion's side view. I hope this helps you to make this skin good, because its a good idea.

Level 2
In all honestly, this isn't that bad, this IS this your first attempt, I won't lie it could use work, but noone starts out a pro, seems as if most of these people have forgotten that, well the ones who aren't being constructive at all, as stated previously by other people it needs better shading... The face could use a bit more work, not sure exactly what it is but something just looks... Off about it, that's all I have to say. Its better then I could do and its probably better then the people who have nothing constructive to say other then it's horrible.

2/5, Good luck on your future projects and remember... Practice makes perfect!

Level 31
As a person who made destroyer before (at least by the time I comment it), having nuts to do a destroyer skin as firsties is interesting enough, I give credits for your bravery but this is definitely not enough. Good concept tho.

Ah great attempt for a first skin! There's freehand here which is really good for your first texture, there's attempts made at shading and highlights and there is a lot of effort here.

However the end result is not the best and could use some improvements. Whilst attempts have been made, the texture still looks very flat with big bold colours resulting in a texture which does not look good in game.

Lots of room for improvement, but I appreciate the work you've put in; set to Lacking.