• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell to Deal Damage Based on Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I would like to have a hero spell which inflicts damage equal to 2x the hero's normal attack damage.

I know that this used to be somewhat tricky to do accurately even with a DDS (which I'd like to avoid using). I'm wondering if it's any easier now after the various additions to the world editor in reforged, etc.

If not, I'm considering a few workarounds.

A) The messy calculation method. Take strength + base damage + damage dice and then check for every single possible buff or debuff or item that could modify damage and apply that to the calculation to get a final result. Luckily there are not a lot of buffs and items right now, but I'd have to add every single new one to this spell's calculation as I create the rest of the game. Quite a hassle, and it's very possible to forget one.
(I could possibly simplify this by just ignoring all debuffs, and writing text in the ability tooltip to say that it ignores them. It's not a bug, it's a feature!)

B) The messy triggered attack method. I'd add a critical strike ability inside a spellbook to the hero. Then have a dummy unit cast some kind of buff on the hero to increase attack speed by 1000% or whatever for .1 seconds to take care of the attack cooldown and then order the hero to attack. There'd be all kinds of pitfalls to watch out for here.

I'm also open to alternatives to the whole thing as long as they meet these 2 objectives:
1) The damage dealt factors in attack boosting buffs, since I want to have synergy between this spell and other spells/items in the game that boost attack damage

2) The spell can be used as a pseudo-attack which circumvents the hero's normally very slow attack speed

Oh, and the ability does NOT have to be multi-instanceable.

Last edited:
Level 24
Oh lol, that's just the method, I'd thought you'd extrapolate from there.
Calculation from there would be like this:
Edit: just ignore damage ratio, that was for an old version of my teeth resource.
1627198425949.png

Status
Not open for further replies.