• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] The Forgotten one auto-summoning tentacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hey there!

I am trying to figure out how to make this spell :

"Summon the Forgotten one at the targeted point. The Forgotten one automaticaly summons tentacles next to ennemy units in a given area (with a given cooldown). When the Forgotten one dies, so do the tentacles. Both Forgotten one and tentacles can't move."

It is supposed to be a Watcher in the water from LOTR spell.

I am affraid the only way is to trigger it and I don't know where to start... So any help will be welcome!

+rep for helpers, thanks in advance

Level 9
Does the tentacle pops simultaneously (if there are 5 foes, all five get surprise gifts?) or one by one?

One by one, but with a small cooldown (maybe between 3 and 5 sec).

Hmm, you could try to use an auto cast ability that targets enemy units. You'd just need a simple trigger that spawns a tentacle at the targeted units location. And for the ancient one itself, just use the snake ward ability

Maybe using Slow? Making a dummy spell that gives a useless buff to a unit, and checking the buff to avoid several targeting in a row on a given unit could do the trick?

Level 9
I hesitate between two base spells for the dummy of summoning tentacles :
  • Slow :
    • pro : dummy easy to do (just set 0% for slowing)
    • con : auto cast behaviour (let's imagine the caster targets an area with moving units, if the units keep on moving and decide to ignore the ennemy, the tentacles won't be summoned)
  • Web :
    • pro : auto cast behaviour (units that aren't attacking are targeted)
    • con : making the ability a dummy ability involves to set the spell duration to 0.01, and it causes the auto cast behaviour to target the same unit in a row

I think Web would be a better choice, but I don't know how to make the dummy keeping the Web buff on the targeted unit to avoid to be targeted again.

Level 9
I've tryed something using Slow as dummy (something very simple for now), here's the trigger :

Summon tentacles
[TRIGGER=]
Events
Unit - A unit Starts to cast a spell
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Tentacle (Watcher)
Actions
Set tentacle_point = (Target point of ability being cast)
Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at tentacle_point for 3.00 seconds
Unit - Create 1 Tentacle for (Triggering player) at tentacle_point facing ...
Unit - Add a 15.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_tentacle_point)
[/TRIGGER]

With this, the minimap ping (and tentacle summoning) occurs in the center of the map instead of the position of the targeted unit. Do you have an idea on where I fucked up ^^?

Level 11
Hey there!

I am trying to figure out how to make this spell :

"Summon the Forgotten one at the targeted point. The Forgotten one automaticaly summons tentacles next to ennemy units in a given area (with a given cooldown). When the Forgotten one dies, so do the tentacles. Both Forgotten one and tentacles can't move."

It is supposed to be a Watcher in the water from LOTR spell.

I am affraid the only way is to trigger it and I don't know where to start... So any help will be welcome!

+rep for helpers, thanks in advance
Like this?

Attachments

• forgotten one.w3x
    19.2 KB · Views: 82
Level 9
Thanks! That's exactly what I need! I managed to make the spell work, but your version seems far better :)! +rep

I don't see any change in 'DEAD' trigger, what did you change between the first and the second file attached? . I was importing the spell when you updated it.

EDIT : I've found the edit in the end of 'SUMMON' trigger, is that the only change?

EDIT2 : spell imported!

Are you interested in seeing the result with HQ custom models?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.