• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Spell combinations and stacking combos for damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, i'm working on a big project.
I intend to make a large campaign for each race, but to change the original races a lot, with new units, new upgrades and stuff.

I want to make a researchable upgrade for the Priest that combines his Inner Fire and Heal spells: upon healing a unit, also apply Inner Fire without further mana cost. And I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

Also, I want a new unit, a Human Wizard, which starts out with a lowly Arcane Bolt spell which barely does his usual damage. I want to make an upgrade for him that allows his Arcane Bolt to place a stackable effect on the target: each subsequent hit with Arcane Bolt , which costs only 7 Mana, deals 10% more damage than the previous one, which can add up infinitely (or until a really big amount is reached)

I'm also changing the other races: I want an upgrade for Druids of the Claw that makes them instantly cast Roar for no mana cost upon creation ( a previous upgrade that I already made has the mana cost down to 0 for Roar) but I can't seem to make it work. I can make it autocast, but I want it to be cast constantly by the Druids whenever the timer for it reaches zero. For example, upon creation, it instantly casts Roar, then, in the second Roar fades, they cast Roar again without my input.

Also, I made a special secret hero , a combination of the Dwarven Rifleman and the Orc Shaman. I want it to have both an area-of-effect attack ( at a range, just like having an Orb of Fire equipped) and a Purge-applying attack that only affects the main target, but the effects don't seem to want to stack. I don't want to fill the inventory with some item or take up a skill slot , and I don't know what to do. Any pointers?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
"I want to make a researchable upgrade for the Priest that combines his Inner Fire and Heal spells: upon healing a unit, also apply Inner Fire without further mana cost. And I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?"

I would just copy the inner fire ability and call it inner fire + nothing changed. Then I'd add 5 ap to the target each time inner fire + is cast with triggers.

"Also, I want a new unit, a Human Wizard, which starts out with a lowly Arcane Bolt spell which barely does his usual damage. I want to make an upgrade for him that allows his Arcane Bolt to place a stackable effect on the target: each subsequent hit with Arcane Bolt , which costs only 7 Mana, deals 10% more damage than the previous one, which can add up infinitely (or until a really big amount is reached)"

for this you need a unit indexer or a hashtable, you can trigger this fairly easy. Each time the arcane bolt + is cast you add +1 to a variable for the targeted unit. Then you deal 10 * variable

Level 12
3: Indexing and periodic event. For each index increase an integer and when it represents a full cooldown issue order night elf druid of the claw roar and set the integer back to 0.

4: Use like searing arrow or something and have it use a 2nd attack with splash and then detect when the ability is used and create a dummy that casts purge on the target.

If you want it to be like a passive that's always active then each time someone deactivate it just reactivate it again.

wc3 might not actually register it as an ability is cast though so idk if it works.

Level 2
Okay.... thank you... it's gonna take a while, because i've been doing it wrong....
Aaaaaand one last issue:
I mentioned the Wizards having the Arcane Bolt that stacks damage. Well, I may want to have a number of units from other factions immune to Arcane Bolt's stacking combo, because as you may have noticed, it's a pretty OP ability ( you get a few Elite Knights - almost double the normal stats plus attack speed boost- and 5 of these Wizards and you'll soon be doing 20 + 22 + 24 + 26 + 29 + 32 + 35 + 39 + 43 + 47 + 52 +57 + 63 + 69 + 76 + 84 + 92 + 101 + 111 + 122 = 1144 damage to one in 4 seconds, and even with the rad upgrades that all units have, 1 k damage in 4 seconds with only 5 units is not nice, so i'd like most Night Elf and Orc spellcasters to have some kind of passive ability to block off the Arcane Bolt and ONLY the arcane bolt.

Also, as a side note, do I need triggers for an aura given by a unit that only affects heroes? I haven't tried it yet......

Create a Channel ability and do not tick the option "Visible". Add it to your units and then right before you deal the damage, check if level of ability for (Target unit of ability being cast) is 0. If it is, deal the damage, else (leave it blank). If you are using a default ability (e.g. Storm Bolt), it will not work properly (as the damage will occur before the missile's impact - and it's generally quite hard (and pointless) to approximate it). I advise you to use a trigger-created missile to deal the damage.

As for heroes, no, just set Targets Allowed to Hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.