• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

spell casting ancient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I need to get an ancient of lore to be able to cast the spells root and force of nature while uprooted, unfortunatley, the only way to do this appears to be getting rid of the root ability, in which case he cannot move.I could create a new costum units of say..knight and just change the model file, but after testing the effects of root on a priest it appears uprooting gets rid of all powers and abilities.I've tried tinkering with the root ability but it doesn't seem to be working.How can I give the ancient of lore spells he can use while uprooted while still maintianing his ability to root?Must I use a trigger for this?Or perhaps theres a way to edit the effects of abilities that I am not aware of.It is most essentail that he maintain his ability to root as doing so gives him fortified armor.I don't mind a complicated solution as I have tried all of the simple ones I could think of.

Level 3
I didn't realize it would be hard to read.
My apologies, dreadfully sorry.
as for you're suggestion, theres a problem, there is no uproot ability.
I adapted your trigger as best I could and put the root ability in for the trigger instead but nothing happened.If I used a trigger to give him the ability after using uprooting, if that is possible, would the abilities show up on the game interface?

Level 3
I really need some help one his one guys, the problem isn't solved, I still can't get the ancient to cast anything standing up.

Level 12
Hmm I don't think you can easily. I don't know how to do it, but I'm betting it's not gonnna be done with a simple trigger, since the trigger will only affect the rooted version of the ancient.

- Infinite

Last edited:
Level 3
hmmm, that could work, but what if he roots again?Would those powers still be there when he uproots again?

And yes, house is quite pawnsome.

Last edited:
Level 3
What luck, there was a classification "an ancient"

I'm afraid it's not working, but I did get an idea.
Eat tree is an ability that works when not rooted, I have to figyre out how it does that.
but once I do that no problem!(maybe, it depends)
Give me a moment to anylize this power.

Level 3
I'm afraid so, it doesn't appear to work on buildings....hmm,
do you suppose it doesn't work on ancients because they're buildings?
Edit:
curses, powers just don't show up when the ancient is uprooted!
I can give him an ability but it only shows up when he roots!
something about eat tree prevents it from doing that, but what?

Level 18
Hmmm I can't manage to solve it, now that I am in the editor. I am trying with diffrent things, but the editor engine doesn't regognize the uprooted unit. I will try some more. Maybe I will succed.

Edit: my only solution for now is that you try changing the eat tree ability to suit you the best, or try maybe replacing it if that works.

Level 3
I treid that but I want to give him force of nature and entangle, eat tree doesn't have the data I require and I know not how to replace an ability.I only have concept ideas now, and I'm not skilled enought to execute them, they may also simply not work.My only chance of making this work now is to find a master.I apreciate your help though, your solutions would have worked if it weren't ancients we're dealing with.

Level 3
Well I tried getting an expert to help but so far he hasn't responded so if anybody else could help me that would bhe great.Also, how do I get a mountain Giant to start of holding a war club?I made a very large mountain giant but his attack looks bad because his fist doesn't reach whatever he's trying to kill so I need him to use a war club all the time.Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know this isn't a spell casting ancient problem but I figured it wouldn't hurt anyone and It was kinder than starting a new thread.I still have the spell casting ancient of Lore problem.:sad:

Last edited:
Level 3
Make a boolean variable for him called "root", that turns true/false when he casts the ability. Then add/remove the spells depending on the variable's status.

I'm trying to make a trigger that will change the variable which will then change the ancients abilities.I'm assuming that's what you meant as you weren't very specific.But I can't seem to change any variable with the exception of a region variable.And what do I put the variable as to start off with true or false?False is the default.

Level 2
what about Metamorphosis that way he will change make it last forever and then make it so he can build (himself) where he wasnts to be placed then remove the Metamorphosis unit. and then they can repeat

EDIT:
under war club make it from 15 attacks to like 1000000000000000000 attacks (shift double click) there fore it would be almost impossible for it to dissapear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
I considered the 1000000000000000000 attacks apraoch but..then you have to grab a tree, I already know I could just do that.I need him to start with a tree in hand, so it'll look good.As for the metamorphisis aproach.I'm afraid I don't understand what your trying to tell me to do.how will metamorphisis help?

Level 2
well first metamorphisis uses a new unit therefore u can make ur new unit with the abilities u want also put build in with repair otherwise it wont build unless u make it a summon, and when its finished kill the unit. the builded unit will be the first unit u started with and thus he can repeat.

EDIT:
as for the war club the only thing i can think of is trying to add the model to the unit in to the hand u want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Hmm, that metamorphosis idea is pretty damn clever!Just for that you get a reputation point, I hope that works.
Edit:
It seems to work!Theres still an animation bug but as long as I can fix that my ancient will work.Thanks for your help Hairy.And even if I can't get rid of it I can put a spin on it to explain the bug ingame.

Last edited:
Level 11
ok dont do metamorphosis cuz that has limited time. Just do like Bear Form from druid of claw or another ability that changes the unit. You can just set the original unit to building and other unit to uprooted ancient. Just make the uprooted ancient a footman or sumthin and change model, abilities, health, etc. Dont forget to remove the requirements for this ability if you use it tho.

AND STOP DOUBLE POSTING!!!!! use edit instead

Last edited:
Level 2
err yea i think he knows what to do.

and pttf qq edit bugs for me.

and metamorphosis can be set to 0 thus it has unlimited time. but yes bear form has same effect.

Level 11
but wit metamorphosis, there will be that little bar that says "Metamorphosis" on it unless you change buff, but it still wont look very good. I think that bear form would work better cuz it was made to change the unit permanently or until it is cast again.

Level 2
however u need to use a ability that maybe summons a building eg, mini town hall and when it is cast the unit dies because if u turn back u can place where u want the unit to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.