• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect on unit -problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I created a Special Effect attached to the origin of a specific unit.
I set the special effect (set effect = last created special effect).
Later, I destroy said effect, and I can see ingame that it's working correctly!

But for some reason, this makes fps drop by about 20 each time I use the effect.

Is there a way to have the effect on the unit without using points?
I tried it on a ability, but the effect isn't triggering correctly (lasts to long)!

Thankful for any help!

EDIT;
I just removed the effect, and the trigger is still lagging...
Worked FINE before! I really don't understand this!

This thread can be removed...

Level 3
Sounds like you have a serious memory leak somewhere.

Yeah, I used Shockwave as the triggering ability, and from what I understand, one (or both) of the following caused it;

Missile Art - I just removed the art.
Missile Speed - I put it to 0.

When I changed art to ".mdx" and speed to it's original, everything worked fine again xD

Level 7
I'll look into it. Right now I'm only using the "point/click" part of the ability, setting everything else to zero, so shouldn't do any deformation?
It's hardcoded you can't remove it by changing any value, you need to base the spell off another spell.

Level 3
Use Channel instead. It was designed to make custom abilities with any targeting type.

I'm doing a "charge", with a 0.3 sec timer from Temp point 1 to 2, with a 3rd point moving between them :)
And a collision trigger that stops it.

I'm no newb in working with wc3 editor, and have never seen lag caused by the ability. So idk.
As said, the ability is a 0 second cast, with 0.1 second duration. So the actual ability shouldn't cause any lag imo.
It's actually working nicely right now. I just had to change missile art/speed and I can't see any deformation nor lag, so.

(I'll still change the ability later, but right now it's to much details to even bother, especially since it isn't causing any lag).

The map is a 4 player hero-thingy. Anyhow, thanks for help!

This should be marked as solved... Can I do that?

Level 39
I'm no newb in working with wc3 editor, and have never seen lag caused by the ability.
It's not lag, it's a possible desync. Shockwave makes a terrain deformation, but that deformation only exists for players that have vision of the target area. If one tries to get the z height of a location affected by the shockwave it will return an asynchronous value unless all players can see the location.

Level 3
It's not lag, it's a possible desync. Shockwave makes a terrain deformation, but that deformation only exists for players that have vision of the target area. If one tries to get the z height of a location affected by the shockwave it will return an asynchronous value unless all players can see the location.

Yeah I wrote the wrong words :p
But I already changed ability. So no issues.
The main issue was solved long before that anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.