• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Southfury Banks v1.1

This is the non-Cinematic Version of SfB

The battle for the Southfury River begins! Up to five players fight side-by-side to defeat the other faction's general and to take over the control of the riverside.

The core feature of 'Southfury Banks' are the player-controlled units. These can be upgraded to mighty warriors, stealthy rogues or bright druids, greatly supporting each other.

Together, they fight against the opponent players, seek control of flag points or summon a mighty creature to help them vanquish the enemy general and his officers. At dawn, they try to recover - until the drums of war thunder once again for the battle of 'Southfury Banks'.

- Fight against enemy players in team-based PvP skirmishes.
- Obtain Tomes to upgrade your unit up to one of six unique classes.
- Tomes are dropped by killed players or can be bought at Horde Sages / Alliance Librarians.
- Capture neutral or enemy flags to get additional spawn points and income.
- Kill the enemy faction's officers to destroy your enemy's towers and to kill their general more easily.
- Hand in Flasks of Mojo (Horde) / Arcane Crystals (Alliance) at your main base to summon a mighty NPC.
- Make life harder for enemies by upgrading your faction guards or reviving Sages (Horde) / Librarians (Alliance).

== Version 1.1 Changes ==
* Added cinematic introduction (see Cinematic Version)
* All possible upgrades for a unit and the required tomes are now visible at all times. Upgrades, whose requirements are not met are grayed out.
* Added game preparation phase: 30 second countdown during which players can look around the entire map freely. After 30 seconds, player units are spawned, the camera is locked to each player’s unit, and the game begins.
* Added a respawn timer to the GUI, indicating the time until a player unit respawns after being killed.
* Added a kill / death ratio to the GUI, indicating how many opponents a player killed and how many times he has died.
* Added a player statistics overview, showing a player’s faction, name, kills, and deaths at the end of each game.
* Increased respawn time for player units to 10 seconds.
* Reduced time to capture a flag from 2 minutes to 1 minute.
* Book vendors no longer have health and mana regeneration auras. Instead, they now sell one-time health and mana regeneration for 250 gold.
* Fixed a bug that prevented the Alliance Arcanist and Horde Witch Doctor from being interrupted while summoning.
* Fixed a bug that occurred when more than one players were assaulting the same flag.

Keywords:
Team PvP, Domination, Assassination, Alterac Valley
Contents

Southfury Banks v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
14:17, 9th Jul 2008 Ash: This map attracted me on the premise that you control your own units, as apposed to a hero system. However, when I found out that 'your own units' is one person and that, on top of that, this one person has very very limited...

M

14:17, 9th Jul 2008
Ash: This map attracted me on the premise that you control your own units, as apposed to a hero system. However, when I found out that 'your own units' is one person and that, on top of that, this one person has very very limited upgrades, abilities and items I was rather put off. Oh, and did I forget to mention that you're sent in blind? Yes, thats right. Although you're part of the barbaric horde, or the valiant humans, they just don't attack.

This means that you -- under equipped, weak and with less items than a homeless man -- are left to fight off the other team with up to 4 other people. I'd usually say that it would result in a long game, however it seems that the other teams bases have little to no guards; no problem there then.

On the other hand, the map is beautifully terrain'd and extremely well thought out, in fact; it's one of the only real Strategic maps left on battle.net. You are guaranteed to have countless games figuring out new strategies and little tips and tricks that you can do to gain the upper hand.

Another 'pro-point' is that the game is very user friendly, it took me and my mates about 2 minutes to pick up the whole details, however one could argue that it is because the map has less items -- and by that I'm referring to the characters, upgrades, items and the battle system -- than a tooth pick thats just been inside an Anorexics mouth.

Which takes me onto my next point rather swiftly, speaking of emptiness, the cinematic at the beginning seemed pretty pointless, almost like it was put there to make players leave. It might be a good idea to spice it up with a bit of action, or remove it all together and place the story in F9 so that the players that want to read it, can and the players that couldn't care less about the story can continue with their caveman-like-esque.

And we can’t forget the quests either, although entertaining (and adding in the MMORPG’s Grind) it seems that if you buy something when you’ve taken the quest items back, the man won’t continue. I.E Your return the items, and he goes to summon a god. He then stops because you respawned the shamans. Whoops!

As the map stands, it’s better than most but it’s still only mid par. Being honest, this map is nothing special. Although, it could be.

3/5

Ash

Ash

Level 22
This map attracted me on the premise that you control your own units, as apposed to a hero system. However, when I found out that 'your own units' is one person and that, on top of that, this one person has very very limited upgrades, abilities and items I was rather put off. Oh, and did I forget to mention that you're sent in blind? Yes, thats right. Although you're part of the barbaric horde, or the valiant humans, they just don't attack.

This means that you -- under equipped, weak and with less items than a homeless man -- are left to fight off the other team with up to 4 other people. I'd usually say that it would result in a long game, however it seems that the other teams bases have little to no guards; no problem there then.

On the other hand, the map is beautifully terrain'd and extremely well thought out, in fact; it's one of the only real Strategic maps left on battle.net. You are guaranteed to have countless games figuring out new strategies and little tips and tricks that you can do to gain the upper hand.

Another 'pro-point' is that the game is very user friendly, it took me and my mates about 2 minutes to pick up the whole details, however one could argue that it is because the map has less items -- and by that I'm referring to the characters, upgrades, items and the battle system -- than a tooth pick thats just been inside an Anorexics mouth.

Which takes me onto my next point rather swiftly, speaking of emptiness, the cinematic at the beginning seemed pretty pointless, almost like it was put there to make players leave. It might be a good idea to spice it up with a bit of action, or remove it all together and place the story in F9 so that the players that want to read it, can and the players that couldn't care less about the story can continue with their caveman-like-esque.

And we can’t forget the quests either, although entertaining (and adding in the MMORPG’s Grind) it seems that if you buy something when you’ve taken the quest items back, the man won’t continue. I.E Your return the items, and he goes to summon a god. He then stops because you respawned the shamans. Whoops!

As the map stands, it’s better than most but it’s still only mid par. Being honest, this map is nothing special. Although, it could be.

3/5

Level 3
Thanks for the feedback!

Just 3 notes:

1) The cinematic was added at an afterthought, to add a bit of background story (and because I wanted to see how it works o_O) I'm not a fan of cinematics, but i wanted to give it a try.

2) I wanted to have as little different classes (hero types) and items as possible. Because - honestly - that is the one thing I hate about DotA. Instead, I wanted a game that's fast fair/balanced, easy to pick up, yet a bit more "strategic".

3) The number of guards depends on how many players the other side has.. So lets say you have 2 players on the Horde's side, then the Alliance has only 2 guards. If they have 5 players, then the Alliance would have 5 guards, and so on.. I changed it to be this way, so uncoordinated/small teams have a chance to capture a flag.

About any bugs, I'll be happy to fix them :)

Last edited: