• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sound Burner - In-Game Music Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
When i had that idea i just had to stop everything i was doing (including working on another map) so i could test this. This idea is quite unique, i've never seen anything like that before.

Sound Burner will be the first in-game Music Production Map/Mod and potentially, considering Wc3 engine, it may support two or more people working on the same project at the same time!

I'm willing to create the following features:
-Song and Pattern modes
-BPM selecting (will need Jass)
-Equalizer
-Multiple Sample Choices
-Multiplayer
-Easy music sharing
-Streaming the song to .mp3 (naah, i'm kidding)
-Solo and Mute functions
-Drum, Bass and Keyboards track.
-Customizable samples (World Editor)
-Special Effects showing the current time position.
-Simple 3D models for Bass Drums, Snare Drums and so on, featuring animations when played.
-In-game Tutorials

And for now that's it. I may add more as the map progresses.

It can be used "seriously" or just for fun, in multiplayer. Imagine you creating the Drum Loops while your friends create the keyboard and bass tracks, equalize, arrange the playlist and select the samples.

Players will also be allowed to share their final product trading save maps or sharing the whole process sharing the replays.

I had that idea quite yesterday, so it's a really earlier stage of the project.
Also i'm accepting suggestions, including name ones haha.

If you're interested in joining the project, let me know =)

I made a little video of the Drum Sequencer. Sadly my computer is not the fastest so the quality is not high. Also, the video is short. I may upload longer videos soon.

UPDATE:
My damn school is taking my time, but i already did some progress on the map.

1- I did the time control (play/pause/rewind etc) functions
2- Effects showing where in the sequencer the time is.

Next thing is trying the bass sequencer and the song/pattern play systems.

Last edited:
Level 8

Of course, it uses line and column arrays and a simple detection system that checks for every line array if there is a "note" on the column arrays.

Your going to want to only use 1 note samples in this. Working with Wc3 you'll find that it isn't precise enough, even if you use alternative timing methods like trigger queve, to time samples of 2 or more notes and still be in time with the rest of the music.

But in game music creation could be pretty sweet.
Though your going have to take care to space out the sounds on multiple channels so they don't conflict (I believe wc3 can only have like 2 or 3 sounds playing simultaneously on the same channel before it accepts no more).

Also you should show the beat surging across the sequencer.

Level 12
Will there be minigame mosh pits that include attachable musical instruments that break when attacking?

Just kidding, It would be wicked to make some tunes ingame-..Especially multiplayer. Let's see where you'll get to with this.

Level 8
Not to ruin it for you, but I believe ~Void~ tried to do something like that once. Well.. something like that :p (~Void~'s thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/sound-problems-135007/)

Your works looks amazing so far, nonetheless, and good luck with it :]

Oh, crap! Well, at least i will (hope so ;p) be the first to release something like that.

I can't open he's map at work so later i will take a look.I may contact him to see the results.

I also had problems in the beggining.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/sound-music-art-290/multiple-sounds-173992/#post1667957

Now i'm using shorter samples and it's ok, but i still get some timing issues. I'm still looking for a way to fix it. I also tried the using multiple sound variables things even before i came here on the hive for help. Did not worked cause every global variable actually pointed to the same sound variable. Maybe having the sound imported multiple times would solve this. I may consider it if the samples aren't big and if there's no other way.

Level 8
Yes. There's also triggers to adjust specific sound channels volume level. That's how i'm planning to do the equalizer.

Edit:
-JonNny said:
Hm... ;D got anotheer idea
due Play Sound and Play 3D sound sucks alot
another idea would be playing sounds via models or special effects
I dont know how to add them on you own to a custom model but you can replace ingame sounds and then create a million effects which should all play their sounds without interrupting anything

Dude, that might really come handy. If it really works and can play sounds repeatedly it will work wonders. Also, would be a lot better playing unit animations with sounds than playing sounds in a hashtable ;D
I just wonder if there will be a way to players listen to this sound no matter where they camera are.

Last edited:
nice idea!

maybe some ideas for the sequencer ui:

make the rows and columns full of circles of might and the change the units color to wether it is on (makes a sound) then make it for instance red, if it is played (like make the columns which are played at the moment turn blue orsomething)
i hope you got the idea...
because the way you do it now its inaccurate to click just into nowhere i think...

i hope this will work out, could become a really fun map to play!

Level 8
Hey, sorry for being inactive all this time.

Well, i already stopped studying for vestibular. Did the tests. Depending on the results i will go to university or waste anther year studying so i can try again. Well, at least, until the results i got some spare time.

Well, enough of this. I never gave up of the project and i'm starting the bass sequencer. But my triggering skills are rusty right now and i still need to find some help with that problem. My GUI skills are rusty, imagine how much i can do with JASS D:

Any JASSers interested in the project and helping me with that tell me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.