• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Ok, so, I wanted to make my own F***ing music thread finally. You comment negative, you're dead.
Nah, just kidding. Well, started around 1 month ago making music / composing. I know, I know, well... These are really noobistic, and the biggest problem is the program (Sum defected shit called FlexiMusic) Half the tones don't represent what they are supposed to represent, and half of them, like the bass pick guitar, have a duration of like 0.3 seconds. That's bad. Going to change to FL studio 9 in about 2 or 3 days, when I get my lazy ass up and well... download it.

Ok, so Here're the names and descriptions of every music piece:
01 (Original 01): This one doesn't exist. IT was really epic, but my fucking FlexiMusic fucked it up...pretty bad. So, no point in talking about it anymore.
01 (02): This one is representing the Forest / Jungle. It is about 20 seconds long, was longer, about 2:30 min, but once again.... FlexiMusic stroke back and fucked up the PC.
02 (03): Ok, so this was my first "more serious melody". I wanted to create some rock feeling, used all instruments, the bass can't be even heard (Program's fault), and as you see (That is, hear) this doesn't sound too rock-ish. Used a Pick guitar sound, which had a long duration (Thank god for at least 1 having a longer duration (around 1.3 seconds)). IT is basically the fight between good and evil, evil being represented by a piano (o_O) and good by a guitar. In the end, they have like a "Final showdown", where the guitar, in the end, wins.
03 (Original 04): I was sooo sad when this one got deleted. I was like: "WOW, I MADE THIS?!?! I'M GOOD!" But... Why the F*** Do you ruin my life, FlexiMusic? You could take the life of the 01 (02) one!!! :mad:
It was a mixture of the acoustic guitar set to low sound and bass drums sound following it. IT made a great combination, but right now, I can't even think of the melody, nor can i think of what kind of Bass drums i used...
03 (05): Well, this is basically some Random song. It kinda sounded like a desert, so i said Fuck it, i'm going to join the music contest #2 just for the Shitz'n'gigglez. I'm mostly disappointed in this one melody. IT sucks. 'nuff said.
Combined music: Well, this one's meant to be a little tribute to the Forest temple in TloZOoT (The legend of zelda - Ocarina of time) for being the best stage/dungeon (IMO) by far. I just made the bell sounds, and I used harp for them to sound like bells. Planning on more, once I shift to the FLStudio 9.

how to check: You press right click on your mouse, then click save link as, and then, well, save it. Listen to it, and give feedback.

EDIT: This is kinda fast. I really need help with this. Someone's gotta show me which drums, snares, this and that to use (Well, which fit the best in a rock song.) The Wow.... Badass solo, but the drums n' shit suck.mp3 is my first try in Fruity loops studio 9 (FL studio 9). I think it turned out perfect... until i got to the part where I should add some drums. I just don't know which to use. So, if someone's interested in helping, PM me (Private or visitor, the same). I'll send him the FLP file. Rep will be given (of course) and credits, partly.

Attachments

• 01.mp3
    290.6 KB · Views: 3,504
  • 02.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,525
  • 03.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,560
  • Combine music.Wav.mp3
    233.9 KB · Views: 3,488
  • Wow... Badass solo, but the drums n' shit suck.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,533
Last edited:
Level 10
OK, some comments:
01: Yes, a short beat, well not a piece. Nice to start but very complicated meter (16/8 devided 3+3+3+2+2+3)... is this with intent?
02: I heard a drumset, a guitar and a piano. Story made me feel very happy. :grin: For a first piece, this is not bad at all. You successfully resisted to putting too much material into one piece, that's really good. You also begin to work with it a little bit, this is what you should keep working on because this is the real art of composing (everybody is creative, but you have to get more out of your ideas).
03: I will comment on that in the Music Contest.
04: Again, this is only how it could start. Well, nobody put a symphony into 14 seconds until now. :xxd:

So, I hope you keep having fun with composing and wish you good luck with your programs... and maybe you could also add the names of the pieces to the file names, not only to the ID3-Tags.

Suggestions:
I'll listen to the tracks but first:
-It's easier just to upload the tracks directly to this page instead of the pastebin - which you'll have to re-upload every so often
-Mp3 is a more universal format for music, so it's easier for more people to listen to it. You should try converting your tracks to mp3 (if you need a converter: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html - nice free one that supports many formats)

Thoughts on songs:
-01 - well it's definitely on a good start, but it's so short and only really has like 3 layers atm. This could definitely build up and go somewhere. It could probably work as a loop, but atm it's too short imo.

-03 - this is your contest song, I'll hold off on commenting on this until after the contest

-Combine Music - Wave files are just too large to use online, this one's short so it's not a big deal but once the song starts getting to generous length the filesize bloats to the point where people with slower internet can't download it (the plus being that the Wave filetype is one of the best quality sound files you can get though). Well this is the one that got deleted? Well then I can tell it's unfinished.

-02 - needs more variation and background parts. I can see your reluctant to use bass because it doesn't last very long, but this is in dire need of background layers and perhaps a higher melody layer.

Well gl with fl when you get that

Level 10
Hmm, overall, all of these are nice, but:
01: I see it's a wip. And when I heard it the first time, I knew it was a forest-music-theme.
02: Needs a background. Other than it, it has great potential, and can become a great song.
03: After the contest suggestions and/or critique.
Combine music: well, it's just the Peal from the Forest temple inside OoT, the dungeon where phantom-me died by links hand... Cursed day.

Average, it's not something ground-breaking, you need a lot of practice, but after it, this'll be epic.

Level 35
I like the composition of your latest piece because you start out with a naked melody and then embellish it with harmony for a more holistic sound. The drums, as you pointed out, however, do not match the song -- especially the drum with the higher pitch (I'm not very good at percussion) just sticks out in a bad way.

Sounds like you were playing around with panning.
The guitar solo is a bit bare, could use some sort of background earlier.
Well the drum rhythm sounds fine to me, but yeah the overall sound doesn't seem like it works to well - perhaps try changing up the instruments, also something a bit lower in pitch with more attack may help. Also I think your background parts should be a bit louder when they come in.

Also you can double post if your updating it, no one's going to penalize you for that even if you were the last person to post.

Level 10
OK, interesting, your new posting "wow...". I also think the solo in the beginning might be a bit long, maybe you could include a short entry of more instruments e.g. in the part from 0:08, just for the two bars, this could strengthen its answer-character. Also, the part when the background starts (0:29+), is quite overdriven, you should try to avoid that; don't be shy to make the whole piece sound a little less loud. You can add a compressor in the end to get it louder again.
Oh and then: Continue and make a complete piece out of it! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.