• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Music!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Bah, if you're going for drums then you should at least have some proper inspiration :p

• Dennis Chambers
  • Buddy Rich
  • Billy Cobham
  • Jo Jo Mayer
  • Billy Martin
  • Tomas Haake

(Abovse starts being really interesting at 1:50)

Might as well toss in a couple of piano inspirations as well.
  • Keith Jarrett
  • John Medeski
  • Vince Guaraldi
  • Herbie hancock
  • Brad Meldhau
  • Esbjörn Svensson

Level 18
Nah, if you wanna kick some ass, learn guitar (Electric).
Trust me.

A few more Inspirational bands/Songs could be:
DragonForce/Fury of the storm or Through the fires and the flames
Metallica/Fade to Black
Avenged sevenfold/Afterlife
Guns n roses/November rain

Cliff of dover
Trust me, there are so many millions more.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
A few more Inspirational bands/Songs could be:
DragonForce/Fury of the storm or Through the fires and the flames
Metallica/Fade to Black
Avenged sevenfold/Afterlife
Guns n roses/November rain

Cliff of dover
Trust me, there are so many millions more.
And on this list I would only really accept Cliffs of Dover and Van Halen to be a viable guitar inspiration.

And yes, what Wherewolf said.

I think you have "Guitar Hero/Rock band introduced me to Rock" syndrome, there's plenty of better bands out there if you look for them.

Imo, some of the better bands balance talent in all the instruments - all too many pop or mainstream rock bands have only 1 (or no) talented players, pretty much always the guitarist who's main repertoire of techniques is tapping, something pretty much anyone can learn to do if they practice it intensively over the course of about a week. a great example of a balanced band would be Tool:

That bass groove is more complicated to play then it sounds, try to count out the timing for the song and you'll get it - same with the drums.

All too many rock bassists are inconsequential to the music, doing nothing but providing a low drone to make the rest of the song not suck.

Level 10
Dude, seriously, Guitar is kind of over-used nowadays, and so are the drums. If i were you, I'd learn either the Violin or the Piano. The violin and the piano can make the nicest of nice tones, while drums and guitars just... noisy.
Though it's totally up to you if you either love classical or rock/rap/whatever music. If you like rock/rap/whatever more, then pick either Guitar or Drums.

If you like rock/rap/whatever more, then pick either Guitar or Drums.

Most mainstream rap now is sequenced, and often contains very little tonal-wise aside from a drumbeat and the vocals.

Just noisy? I beg to differ:

Real classical-buffs learn the Theorbo!

Also note that drums is a very vague concept, many people just consider themselves percussionists as much of the skills transfer to other instruments, like say the tabla:

(skip to around 4 minutes)

(also note that the singing later is a bit lulzy - it's like Indian scat or be-bopping)

@WhereWolf:Dude, seriously, I wasn't talking about acoustic guitars, but rather BaSS and electric, 'cause he listed them there. You can't say they can produce mild sounds like the violin and the piano can.

And once again you find yourself slightly outside facts

(also note that finger style playing gets you much more mellow tones)

It's all in how you play any instrument, what effects you use, etc. Violins can create just as harsh sounds as guitars

(some people can even get palm muted type thrash riffs going but I couldn't find a good example video of that)

Level 10
@WhereWolf:
Of course this isn't possible to be done with the guitar.
Neither will Violin ever sound like the guitar.
Best is together :)
Bottom line: Well, I did say Guitar is a little over-used nowadays, and that, according to the style of music, he should pick his instrument. I did say that Guitars make more noise than Violins... Fuck, just now I see I said "drums and guitars just... noisy.". Well, yes, they can make noisy sounds, but not always though... Stupid me :p There aren't as many Violin players out there. He shouldn't actually even ask for what instrument he should decide. Right now, if you like multiple styles of music, I'd suggest learning both the Guitar and the Violin. Guitar, as in the Acoustic, everything else... can wait.
But a combo of Piano and Violin would go together too, just... don't spend too much money.

Now of course there's the price factor:
-200~300 dollars will get you a decent guitar, electric or acoustic - at least something to start with

-200~300 will get you a cheaply made, probably soon to fall apart violin if you're buying new. Buying used you may get a better deal.

-200~300 dollars will get you no piano, at least an acoustic one. Finding a good velocity sensitive quality electric piano at that price is always pretty difficult. Basically piano is a bit out of the question unless you already own one or are capable of affording a good quality electric one.

------------------------------------------------------

Piano and violin at the same time is actually not a very good idea. You're learning to instruments played in very different ways at once - way too much for someone who doesn't know much about music - pick one and go with it. Piano's always a good instrument to come back to though since it's relatively simple interface allows anyone with a basic understanding of music theory to create something listenable, it basically just becomes a matter of training your fingers to hit the notes right but the piano has to be the closest instrument to the layout of the actual western music theory staff.

Though really, if anything a string instrument is possible his best choice as the skills transfer to many, many other instruments - even if the one you started with doesn't turn out to be your favorite, the time went into learning to play it isn't lost if you switch from say guitar to violin.

Though if you really want something awesome, go with Sitar!

professional-sitar.jpg

Last edited:
Level 26
If you've never played an instrument in your life, I would recommend piano.

Piano is a great introductory instrument for a variety of reasons.

For one, its learning curve starts out very flat. It doesn't require regular tuning, and since it's a keyboard instrument, each note will always be in-tune. Additionally, making sound come out of it is as easy as pressing a key.

Also, it's great for getting an overall view of music theory. Piano is an incredibly easy instrument to learn scales, music intervals, chords, and rhythmic notation. There are few instruments that require all four. If you ever wanted to learn to compose your own music, the piano's a great place to start.

Finally, if one day you find that piano's not your thing, it's a great gateway instrument, if you will, into discovering which instrument interests you the most. If you play an electric piano, you can experiment with different sounds and rhythms without having to take the time to constantly try out new instruments, and all instruments, one way or another, require the kind of dexterity and coordination that the piano builds.

Level 4
Dude, seriously, Guitar is kind of over-used nowadays, and so are the drums. If i were you, I'd learn either the Violin or the Piano. The violin and the piano can make the nicest of nice tones, while drums and guitars just... noisy.
Though it's totally up to you if you either love classical or rock/rap/whatever music. If you like rock/rap/whatever more, then pick either Guitar or Drums.

To be honest it should be more of the rythm to the person than just picking a different instrument because it's not as commonly used nowadays.

Personally I would love to learn how to play a pipe organ, because the rythm in the air when one is played properly sends shivers down my spine in a good way. I find it a shame that they've been all but abandoned by everyone and even the churches use them less. To hear one in person is an amazing experience provided the person playing it is good. It's depressing when I think about the largest pipe organ instrument in the world in bad shape being restored by a few people slowly, not being given the attention due such a masterpiece.

Also, no mention of Ry Cooder amongst guitarists?

Level 13
If you've never played an instrument in your life, I would recommend piano.

Piano is a great introductory instrument for a variety of reasons.

For one, its learning curve starts out very flat. It doesn't require regular tuning, and since it's a keyboard instrument, each note will always be in-tune. Additionally, making sound come out of it is as easy as pressing a key.

Also, it's great for getting an overall view of music theory. Piano is an incredibly easy instrument to learn scales, music intervals, chords, and rhythmic notation. There are few instruments that require all four. If you ever wanted to learn to compose your own music, the piano's a great place to start.

Finally, if one day you find that piano's not your thing, it's a great gateway instrument, if you will, into discovering which instrument interests you the most. If you play an electric piano, you can experiment with different sounds and rhythms without having to take the time to constantly try out new instruments, and all instruments, one way or another, require the kind of dexterity and coordination that the piano builds.

This man has the most convincing logic in the whole thread.

Level 7
Having spent around 8 years playing percussion, and performing with many the spectrum of instruments that are within percussion, I seriously regret never learning how to play the piano.

So good choice.

Level 26
Above all, you should be getting an instrument you'd really like to play. Like, piano is a great starting instrument, but I fucking hated piano because my parents made me play it all the time and I just didn't want to. I played cello and drums instead, and I never looked back.

So yeah, if you think it'd be great to play piano, that's awesome and you'll get the hang of it quicker than you would any other instrument probably. But if you never really liked the idea, you might want to start on other isntruments. Violin/Viola/Cello are also great starting instruments, though a bit harder (and a lot shittier-sounding) to play as a beginner. It's ultimately all about what you want to do.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
Piano is nice, and you don't feel like an epic n00b when you start learning how to play it. Violin is for, ergh, those who had patience. At start, you sound like a shit with it, but when you get better, it's the nicest instrument of all.

EDIT: I vote for Piano or Violine

Sam said:
Planning to buy a grand piano, i'm mostly interested in classical pieces.... :D

I doubt you have a few thousand dollars to spare
Get an electric, it's much more cost effective and they come with patches to sound like natural instruments, along with a wealth of other instruments.

You don't just go out and buy a grand piano at whim, unless you're filthy loaded and most likely will forget about it in a month or so

Vunjo

Level 14
I doubt you have a few thousand dollars to spare
Get an electric, it's much more cost effective and they come with patches to sound like natural instruments, along with a wealth of other instruments.

You don't just go out and buy a grand piano at whim, unless you're filthy loaded and most likely will forget about it in a month or so

Don't have the same fate as my brother had if you are going to music school. For music schools, you have to buy regular non electic piano. And non electric one is much better than electric one, especially for classical music :p

Well think about the whole context

The main poster in the thread said he wants to learn an instrument, implying he has no formal musical knowledge and isn't planning on going to music school. If you're going to a music school that requires that sort of thing, you most likely are already very proficient in the use of a piano and thus buying a serious instrument is completely valid. On the other hand, if you don't have any past knowledge in the instrument and don't even know if it's completely the instrument to you, that'd be a huge waste of money.

It's sort of like buying a guitar, few people's first guitars is a US made authentic Stratocaster, you're most likely going to be stuck with a Squire for a while.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Don't have the same fate as my brother had if you are going to music school. For music schools, you have to buy regular non electic piano.
In most of the cases, the school will provide a couple of stationary classical pianos for educational purposes. In that sense, buying an electrical piano would be recommended for diversity/variety. Also, a piano isn't a cheap instrument, and tuning it sucks.

And non electric one is much better than electric one, especially for classical music :p
Better? That's like saying a square is better than a circle. So remove "especially," and your statement is alright.

Vunjo

Level 14
did I say that he should buy it? He said that he likes classical music, and many people who like classical music go to music schools, especially if they want to learn to play an instrument. If you got 2 Pianos in home (1 non electrical, 1 electrical[which you prolly don't]), then you should understand it. I got 2 of them and I know, that non electrical sounds much better for classical music than the electric. I didn't say anything wrong, or against electrical one, but it's just the sound that makes the instrument. What I meant by buying one of them is, in schools, there are pianos, but my bro needed one in home, so he can practice. He with his parents (yeah yeah, my parents too :p) bought electrical one, and the teacher yelled @ my bro for a long time, till we bought the regular piano. I am just saying, choose carefully what you wanna buy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.