• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sound and Unit in fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
How can I make a dummy unit (it has an high scaling value) to be seen even in fog ? It looks really weird because it is a GIANT dummy (the effect looks like an explosion) but you sometimes you can't see it through fog (like any other unit model file).

How can I DAMN play a sound ? Without leaks, without bugs, just play it when someone casts a skill, or when attack, so units within X range can hear it, even if they don't have the unit vision (without messing the game sound/background music). Sound editor and Trigger Sound are really hard to change, there are a SHITTON of things to mess, I need to know what I should do, if I should play it on unit, in the area, what I should trigger, what should I write in the Sound Ediotr. etc etc.

I already have the sounds.

Try set "Art - Extended Line Of Sight" to true.

Sounds leak. Remove sounds after playing them. Set SoundX=(last played sound), then remove SoundX.

How to make it fade over distance is a question that drives me nuts. I also have a hard time with this. I have messed around with all the fade values and seem to only be able to get it to fade with a standard 1000 / 6000 / 300 setting in the edit sound variable fields. This however, only fades the sounds somewhat and only after a distance of 6000.

Hopefully, someone might have a better answer on that one.

Level 4
But how should I configure the sound to be heard in a X distance, to be heard through fog, etc ? And can I make an ability play two sounds (not at the same time, just randomly, like, the move command. Every time you move the unit says one different thing) ?

I haven't come up with a good way for sounds to be heard at distance. You can play sounds for local players. You could even set sound volume to a distance real value. Fog shouldn't affect sound. You should also be able to play multiple sounds at once through triggers. If you want to change move response sounds, use "replace internal cound" in sound editor by right-clicking on the sound and importing a new one (must be .wav file).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Make the sound 3D. The game automatically handles loudness and stereo with respect to the camera positioning.

I am unsure but there may be restrictions on what sounds can be 3D. For example they may need to be mono (since a stereo 3D sound makes no sense lol) and possibly a certain format (not sure if mp3 works).

3D sounds aren't quite automatically faded at distance. You need to also set the fade values in sound editor. I just fought SE for a few hours the other day trying to get a sound to fade quickly (like in about 500 real distance). However, this was not possible for me. Though maybe I was just doing it wrong. Eventually, I set the sound to default 3D sound values and it would fade but only after I moved my unit about 6000 real distance away, which is way off screen from the sound source. If someone knows how to regulate this, I would be grateful. I tried both adjusting values in SE and setting the fade distance with the trigger "Sound - set fade distance of 3D sound to Real_Value" but neither worked.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
3D sounds aren't quite automatically faded at distance. You need to also set the fade values in sound editor.
The fade values can be set with triggers as well, as that is basically what the sound editor does. They are not automatically faded at distance because they need to be instructed as to how they should fade. Voice Overs, for example, should not fade and always play at full loudness when in rage to hear. Explosions on the other hand should have a very long fade distance so they can be heard far away.

I just fought SE for a few hours the other day trying to get a sound to fade quickly (like in about 500 real distance). However, this was not possible for me. Though maybe I was just doing it wrong. Eventually, I set the sound to default 3D sound values and it would fade but only after I moved my unit about 6000 real distance away, which is way off screen from the sound source. If someone knows how to regulate this, I would be grateful. I tried both adjusting values in SE and setting the fade distance with the trigger "Sound - set fade distance of 3D sound to Real_Value" but neither worked.
Setting it to fade in 500 distance will make it decrease so fast chances are if it can be heard it will be very quite.

Level 4
I'm getting no idea of anything you're saying (like, why can't stereo be a 3D sound? I suck at these things) , but it is working normally. I was just worried about possibly leaks. The sound is being played.

Just one more question, how can I make it play a random sound (between the ones I choose) when the caster... casts a skill ? I have two sounds (lets say, "Hah !" and "Huh") here to be played but I want them to be played randomly and separately when the caster casts a skill (e.g. cast the skill and he said "hah!", cast the skill again he said "hah", cast again he said "huh", could you get it ? Randomly)

Another question (Did I say just one more ? I lied xd) how can I increase the sound volume ? The editor just supports till 127... I thought about the possilibity of exporting the sound, increasing the volume with an editor, but I noticed that War3 likes sounds Wav, 16 bits and 1 channel and, as I said in the first paragraph, I have no idea how to do it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
(like, why can't stereo be a 3D sound? I suck at these things)
Because stereo is a technique to recreate a 2D listening environment by having separate output channels for speakers to the left and right of a user's head. Surround sound improves on this further with more channels and more directions to provide a 3D listening environment.

Sounds themselves have an origin within space. Based on sound propagation you can create separate channels from different perspectives within space. In the case of stereo this would be channels for left and right ear approximately 1 head distance apart at the scale of the view displayed to the user.

As such all 3D sounds have to be mono. If a stereo sound were used then it would have to be interpreted as 2 separate 3D sounds at the same point which will likely produce output very similar to merging both sounds into a single mono channel. If for some crazy reason you want to simulate stereo audio inside a 3D environment (eg for a TV easteregg or something) then you would need to separate both channels into separate mono 3D sounds positioned at each of the speakers.

Just one more question, how can I make it play a random sound (between the ones I choose) when the caster... casts a skill ? I have two sounds (lets say, "Hah !" and "Huh") here to be played but I want them to be played randomly and separately when the caster casts a skill (e.g. cast the skill and he said "hah!", cast the skill again he said "hah", cast again he said "huh", could you get it ? Randomly)
Place in an array and use a random integer in the appropriate range. It is not truly random, but random enough for people to not notice.

Another question (Did I say just one more ? I lied xd) how can I increase the sound volume ? The editor just supports till 127... I thought about the possilibity of exporting the sound, increasing the volume with an editor, but I noticed that War3 likes sounds Wav, 16 bits and 1 channel and, as I said in the first paragraph, I have no idea how to do it.
You need to be very careful with volumes. You should avoid having them louder than most sound effects in the game as that could irritate players.

Level 4
You need to be very careful with volumes. You should avoid having them louder than most sound effects in the game as that could irritate players.

Yeah I thought about that. The Wendigo soundset for example is way too CANCEROUS and repeats all the time.

One last question (ultimatly last this time): What does Minimun Distance, Max Distance and Distance Cutoff means ? How should I set it to be fully played in a 1500 AoE and, anything after that (1501 for example), the sound fades away ? I need an easier explanation because the tutorial I found here in Hive didn't explain very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.