• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sound and Audio Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
The Contest:

Create a map where users can make music.

Rules:
-Solo map
-All terrain MUST be customized beyond any recognition of default terrains.
-At the end each player gets to view/hear the music each user has created. All players judge for the best music and beats at the end for, what else, bragging rights!

Judging:
-Use of color
-Ease of use/control
-Design
-Sounds

Suggestions:
All users can create at once (complex, large map, multiple designs)
One user-creation at a time (simple, small map, one design)

How you go about creating the map, given the "Rules" and "Judging", is up to you.

Last edited:
The Contest:

Create a map where users can make music.

Rules:
-Solo map
-At the end each player gets to view/hear the music each user has created. All players judge for the best music and beats at the end for, what else, bragging rights!

Judging:
-Use of color
-Ease of use/control
-Design
-Sounds

Suggestions:

How you go about creating the map, given the "Rules" and "Judging", is up to you.

Most of that doesn't sound like a sound or audio contest.

Level 9
How is it not both?

If you choose crappy sounds it's going to be crappy. Ok, so maybe the contest name is off, but it's the ability to create music in-game that is the point.

Madcat2, i, too was making such a map before i deleted WC awhile back. I have a cool idea for a new one that is nothing like what this contest would require. I'm sort of working on it now, but it's going to be an entire map of people working, going from one place to another and it's going to be a cycle. Each unit will hit rects that trigger a sound. I might add some vocals to turn the music into a song.

-Solo map

-Use of color
-Ease of use/control
-Design

These parts confuse me.

Level 9
Err, solo, you have to make the map by yourself.. No teams.

If you must customize the terrain than you are going to use color to do it.. I guess i didn't do a good job in specifying that it SHOULD be colorful.. Magically delicious kind of colorful.

Ease of use.. Well that sort of goes with design. If you are going to make a map where the player can create music, how exactly are you going to go about doing that? Well, you're going to need to make rects so when a unit enters it it plays a sound, so what is going to be your design? There is no "right" design, but you do need one...
So you have your design and you have some units on the map that you can use to patrol over the trigger points. Well, your map sucks because i can never get a good tempo or beat going. It's not easy to actually get music going so your map sucks!

When i began to create a map like this before i made one design using raised walls where each unit had a runway to patrol on. I then made 11 more throughout the map in an intracate design using similar but different patterns. So, i went from one design to 12, one for each player. That means they could all create music at the same time by modifying how "far" the sound reached, where each design had different sounds, and at the end each player camera would have gone to each one to listen before a vote would take place.

Clear?

Level 9
So what if it does? Where does it say it has to be about one subject? When did people start thinking this? Where do they store these assumptions in their brain?
A contest is a contest and it's rather a simple map to create.

RED BARON, if this contest is not made "this way", then it's not the contest it was intended to be, but probably, as you are thinking, voice-acting skills.. But that's not the point. The point is to have FUN! hahaha.. The point is to make music in a game.

How hard is it to throw some crazy colors and apply some filters to a terrain tileset. And to find acquire some soundbytes off the net. At one point in time i collected over a gig's worth of sound effects, it's not hard to find these copyright-free sounds.
And if you have 2 months to do it, if you need 2 months, do you think you couldn't do it in that amount of time. This is a contest anyone can get aboard with if they know the basics of creating a map.

There is a map called Sound Factory which, when i first entered the hosted game, i thought it was going to be like this.. Instead you hear sounds from WC and have to name which unit it belonged to... BORING! Utterly mindless.
Just use your imagination.

Level 35
This is starting to sound more like a map idea than a contest.

It was from start an map idea (called a contest)... I just suggested something which would be more usefull.

(Think his idea with audio is good, but not the way is tends to be just a map contest, with all what should be in it plotted down) My suggesten was meant to say: Good idea with a contest involving use of sounds as gameplay, but not this way, so it should be user choice how the audio is used in the contest map.

Last edited:
Level 9
Offtopic: It would be kind of cool to have like Arthas with a guitar (not the rockin' Arthas) where he uses the guitar to swing and hit foes. And then when he attacks you hear like a power chord.. But i don't see a setup to such a game unless it's based in like a night club. It would be like LOAP but, "At the local club". Good idea, nonetheless.

Level 35
Offtopic: It would be kind of cool to have like Arthas with a guitar (not the rockin' Arthas) where he uses the guitar to swing and hit foes. And then when he attacks you hear like a power chord.. But i don't see a setup to such a game unless it's based in like a night club. It would be like LOAP but, "At the local club". Good idea, nonetheless.

Hehe ya.. some real "Guitar Hero"

Level 16
Hive is a wc3 modding site. Creating audio files is too far fetched. Only way this could work is that the host provides a pack of audio files that people then implement into a wc3 map and create some 'music map'. You need to rethink this all through and then post again. Given your 'unique' situation, I doubt you will be doing that :p.

Contest unaproved, topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.