• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SOPA] Calling all Internet Lovers - Stop Online Piracy Act!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Due to supporting SOPA (and PIPA I think), Go Daddy had lost over 72,000 domains.

Also I starting to think that openly opposing SOPA and PIPA on the hive is a bad idea, i should probably stop doing that.

Last edited:
Level 11
"If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

I think the US government are just being plain idiots now, there is no country in the world that has been so fanatic about every persons freedom and suddenly they are going to restrict the internet?

Money is probably going to kill us all eventually, it created greed and now we are all in this situation that questions our freedom. -.-

Level 34
Yes, the government is full of idiots. We are so much brighter than they are.

Without major contributors behind you, you can't get elected. As long as that persists, we will continue down this path of pandering to monopolizing-corporate-giants. What is the solution? I have no idea. French Revolution I suppose.

Level 2
I think groups like MPAA is more to blame than the government because they are trying to get SOPA and PIPA pass so their can get more money in they pocket, the government is trying to stop online piracy, but in a bad way. So yeah the US government is full with idiots, but groups supporting the bills like MPAA care more about money than stopping online piracy.

Also I moving the like to the petition against both SOPA and PIPA to this post, so feel free to sign it if you want to.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet

Last edited:
Level 11
Realin the US government did not start the SOPA, the groups did. "How?" well the answer is simple, corporations and groups with large economics control political parties by giving them large "donations" so they can keep their party going (election campaigns, websites, full time political salaries etc cost money).

In order for the parties to get these "donations" they must give something of value back like, for example, SOPA. In other words this is discrete corruption on high levels. "Is there no laws against this?" which party or individual politician would try to insert a law against their own donor?

Also as Gilles said, in order to get to the top of the political circles where you can make a change you need public support, and to get public support you need to be seen and its very easy for famous politicians and corporations to take you out of the media as their influence in newspapers and tv channels are, yet again, economical which keeps them going to.

If the SOPA goes through the last places in which you can be seen are going to disappear, the Arabic revolutions was thanks to Facebook and YouTube and SOPA got the possibility to shut them down. Even if they moved abroad the US government still got the possibility to close down any outside traffic from their internet. (yes they can, they would loose a lot on it themselves but they can)

So basically, changing society today is a lot harder than it used to and its getting harder by the minute.
What is the solution? I have no idea. French Revolution I suppose.
I suppose it is the best solution, as we can not beat them in political power nor economical.

My country is affected by this, but fortunately on a very low level. Here the corporations like to support which party they will benefit most of instead of forcing them to change laws etc.

Level 2
Well anyway there is a alternative to both SOPA and PIPA called OPEN (Online Protection and Enforcement of Trade Act) which is supported by AOL, eBay, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Mozilla, Twitter, Yahoo, and Zynga (groups opposing SOPA and PIPA) here is a link with more info about it plus the wiki link.

Edit: Forgot to add a link

Last edited:
Level 14
Thing is, even if SOPA & PIPA affect "only" the USA, to be honest, many donations are made my americans. Many companies get their earnings through F2P model or Donations, which are in a large portion done by americans. The american citizen is the largest consumer, if you want to make a site that you own, and accept donations in exchange for clothing for The Sims 3, a big chunk of your donators will be americans.

I haven't read OPEN, will get down to read it shortly.

Level 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
nah it's not NWO but people fear that it may turn into smth like Patriot Act but for internet and having much more impact on people's use of the net. Hopefully it will not be accepted but I see that SOPA discussion is turning into SOAP (opera) everywhere I go ^^

Level 3
I don't think this is gonna happen, seriouesly? America thinks they are the police of the internet like they are in the streets, they're fighting against better persons then theirselves, if something like this would occur i'm pretty sure a hacker or someone would stand up and do serious things, Anonymous is one. I may not be American, but really...why does this occur now when piracy has existed over 10years and even more?

Level 4
Sopa/hr-3261 must be stoped

the post may be long but i hope to you read it all

"Stop Online Privacy Act"

in my opinion USA and other countries are in a hard and big virtual war aganist themselves and piracy

but one guy once said "Stopping the paceful war is the way to make violent rebellion occur"

srry for my bad engish

THE 3rd WORLD WAR IS OCURRING AND YOU DONT KNOW IT

then 3 days ago i saw in my facebook acount a weird mensage about this "STUPID" thing......i said "whatever USA is ruining themselves what cares it to me".....

but like 2 hours ago (from this tread creation) i had a weird felling because i saw that on the news.......

FIRST OF ALL

almost all people reading this is "aiding" sopa YOU ARE IN A BIG MISTAKE
why? lets put a SIMPLE and BIG example first of all :S

HIVEWORKSHOP

the page you are reading now (IP 173.231.32.130) im wrong?

General IP Information
IP: 173.231.32.130
Decimal: 2917605506
Hostname: 173-231-32-130.hosted.static.webnx.com
ISP: WebNX
Organization: WebNX
Services: None detected
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP

im wrong???

Geolocation Information (of the server position) (dont ask how i know this)
State/Region: California
City: Los Angeles
Latitude: 34.053
Longitude: -118.2642
Area Code: 213

so....... hiveworkshop server is on USA, right??
so....... hiveworkshop CAN AND MUST BE afected by this law right?
so....... hive must follow the HR-3261 rules rigth?

the awnser to all the questions is yes so.....

what about it "i dont care" say ones and "it must be stopped" say others

IT MUST BE STOPED I SAY.......WHY?

what about skins?? (for blizard models) well blizzard models are proteted by copyrigth so any modifications to them are PUNISHED by this stupid law

what about models?? well as i said above those actions are copyrigthed and are ALL ILEGAL AS THIS LAW SAYS

what about spellmaking?? as internet explorer source code all jass and vjass spells are ILEGAL because blizzard source code is coplyrigthed and you must be only be able to use GUI so all jass spells are ilegal at this point

what about the site imself??? im sure they will say "this site provides ilegal imformation about copyrigthed games so the site must be censored because it fully suports ilegal information/file sharing"

SOUNDS GOOD AT THIS POINT?????????????

"i dont live in usa what it cares to me??"

well you must be worried about because just think it

what site you use more?? google??? youtube??? facebook? twitter??
well all those have a thing in common ALL THEY HAVE SERVERS LOCATED IN USA SO THEY MUST OBEY SOPA LAW

who cares about google i have bing/other stupid search engine

you must care about it beause 90% of search engines are based/of are using GOOGLE and even worse they have USA servers

"im winning X$ in megaupload/rapidshare/mediafire/etc"

YOU overall must be worried because all those servers will FALL because they suport ilegal filesharing

at this point this "stop online piracy act" sounds like "stop online privacy act"
inst it?

BUT WAIT ITS MORE COMMING

yep its more comming because under SOPA orders your ISP (internet service provider) must set a proxy filter and vigilate all computers conected to the router/modem 24/hrs day

this means your isp will be watching all and every single of your steps on the internet but this not only means online traffic......

so....... this means you must say GOOD BYE to privacy beause your ISP must scan your hard drive and pen drives the 24 hours searching for "ilegal" content

includind IE/firefox cache and temporal files so they will make sure you dont get any ilegal things

at this point sound scaring.............

OK YOU ARE SCARING ME I WILL SEL MY COMPUTER AND STOP USING INTERNET!!!!!!

nope this dont stop here because piracy means too real life stuff not only to online ones

so......real life will be copyrigthed.......

ok they will ruin internet but something good will come from this inst?

nope a single person will thing all the money gathered by demands and copyrigth cheating will help a lot but it only will help alredy millonary people ¬¬

Level 3
I surely doubt, that if this occurs in america, then they've officially killed their own country...and the server switching can be done in 1day if they really are against hive, you get the IP When connecting here lol.

Level 4
I surely doubt, that if this occurs in america, then they've officially killed their own country...and the server switching can be done in 1day if they really are against hive, you get the IP When connecting here lol.

um yeah but this means USA will be aislated from ther world sites so any who lives/have a sever in USA is totaly screwed

i dont got ip that way

start--->run--->cmd--->ping www.hiveworkshop.com---->iplookuper-->>>WTF

Level 22
I've been good at history, took such exam after 12th grade with among the very high grades all over my country, now I'm tired of it and I don't like it as a subject cause I've studied it enough in the past. And thus have forgotten it, still, as far as I remember, WW1, WW2 occured around political and social unrest, bad economy situation.

Recently heard that even Germany is claiming to be in recession, im even sorry I studed about the EU as it brought me nothing but 1 new language to speak at least to some level, which is fine. So yeah theoretically the conditions for a war are emerging, if crisis doesn't go away any time soon and deepens,

But hey WW1 started after the Austrian (forgot his title) was killed, WW2 started thanks to Hitler for their bad situation and unfair conditions from Versailles after WW1, and WW3 - well world leaders try to avoid it as with the current weapons, including UFOs because if you don't believe in ETs then there is at least definitely new technology some military have.. (not to say it could be coverup for high tech or BOTH with ETs) , so with all these things you don't wanna war, trust me ;>

I, I______R
Proclaim this to be the beginning of THE END!
967a4dfae7c5.gif

Last edited:
Level 4
WTF..........nice u are reading ^^
well i think you are never enough paranoic :p

whatever..........
____________________________________________-

967a4dfae7c5.gif

u serious?? planet X still will crash the earth? :p

MAYANS said more or less "2012 year of the end of the world like we know it"

well this is an end and a change (for bad) and internet is a world inst it?

SOPA is the real end of the world??????????

come onnnnnn think it a bit

ww1 austrian triggering over 10000 deaths (random number said) by bombs a bullets
wW2 nazi triggering 20000 deaths over bombs and war
WW3 digital war----------¬¬ dude just think it dont be afraid of use your brain :)

{EDIT}
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH
u want to know something REALY STUPID?
THE PIRATE BAY THE GREATEST PIRACY PAGE (well the greatest i know)
IS PERFECTLY INMUNE TO SOPA
WHY?

YEAH the server is on germany

GOD the stupid point of SOPA is "destroy" piracy
WTF then if u cannot shoot a guy with the laser cannon you brougth by $1000 in your nearest piracy center ¬¬

u know the creator of SOPA violated copyrigth?????
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! google it

Last edited by a moderator:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
World War 1: over 20 million dead.
World War 2: 50 million dead.
"World War 3": Couple million people crying over their unfinished torrents.

Facts are up there, we're either using the term "World War" exaggeratedly or humanity finally gave up it's desire for mass killings.

Level 3
I've been good at history, took such exam after 12th grade with among the very high grades all over my country, now I'm tired of it and I don't like it as a subject cause I've studied it enough in the past. And thus have forgotten it, still, as far as I remember, WW1, WW2 occured around political and social unrest, bad economy situation.

Recently heard that even Germany is claiming to be in recession, im even sorry I studed about the EU as it brought me nothing but 1 new language to speak at least to some level, which is fine. So yeah theoretically the conditions for a war are emerging, if crisis doesn't go away any time soon and deepens,

But hey WW1 started after the Austrian (forgot his title) was killed, WW2 started thanks to Hitler for their bad situation and unfair conditions from Versailles after WW1, and WW3 - well world leaders try to avoid it as with the current weapons, including UFOs because if you don't believe in ETs then there is at least definitely new technology some military have.. (not to say it could be coverup for high tech or BOTH with ETs) , so with all these things you don't wanna war, trust me ;>

I, I______R
Proclaim this to be the beginning of THE END!
967a4dfae7c5.gif

Wow, i fail at history, i manage to always get 100% in Computer courses though without doing a crap at home, Math sometimes aswell, WW3 lol, rename it to Internet war I (IW I)

Level 22
wW2 nazi triggering 20000 deaths over bombs and war
WW3 digital war----------¬¬ dude just think it dont be afraid of use your brain :)

No, I don't say anything about 2012. I was talking about WW3, you're talking about a DIGITAL war? Then why mention this dangerous bio weapon, what is happening in this thread: You say there may be a WW3 coming in the future, I agreed with it.

And I highly doubt the Mayans were predicting an Internet war lol, scientists say their calendar's previous end periods were related to big events, I don't think how this would classify as 'big' unless something political on larger scale comes out of it.

Level 11
I doubt a WW3 will come, mostly because no one will be foolish enough(yet maybe) to start a nuclear war...so i kinda agree to everything what Eimtr said

If there will ever be one, i think it will be something similar to the Cold War...but let's hope a WW3 will never come, ok?

Level 3
I doubt a WW3 will come, mostly because no one will be foolish enough(yet maybe) to start a nuclear war...so i kinda agree to everything what Eimtr said

If there will ever be one, i think it will be something similar to the Cold War...but let's hope a WW3 will never come, ok?

WW3 would only occur if a super power would go corrupt or a rising power would appear threatening, Such as China. USA Is eventually gonna lose to China industry wise, and since amerifags (lol) complain at everything and never think about others it's pretty much going to take action in the Asian world this time unless the Germans appear again and lose for the 3th time.

Level 11
WW3 would only occur if a super power would go corrupt or a rising power would appear threatening, Such as China. USA Is eventually gonna lose to China industry wise, and since amerifags (lol) complain at everything and never think about others it's pretty much going to take action in the Asian world this time unless the Germans appear again and lose for the 3th time.

Well, Germany wouldn't be so dumb to start another world war...i think they many occasions to learn their mistakes, also considering they are forbid to hold nuclear weapons and other nuclear based machinery...

Still, what you say may happen, but like i said, it would be similar to something like the Cold War

Level 11

Germany is to smart to start a new world war, they mostly care about keeping their economy growing.

Level 22

?
I never said a war cannot/won't occur. Actually economy crises that deepens and the need to get money from somewhere has been in history one of the things that can bring to a war. Ofc at this time world leaders. mostly those in Europe, Americas are reasonable enough to not allow it. But who knows what may happen in the future - if nuclear were NEVER going to be used, they weren't going to be stored right? And you see countries hiding their plans or production for such weapons.. And the way it goes currently is a Cold War

Level 11
?
I never said a war cannot/won't occur. Actually economy crises that deepens and the need to get money from somewhere has been in history one of the things that can bring to a war. Ofc at this time world leaders. mostly those in Europe, Americas are reasonable enough to not allow it. But who knows what may happen in the future - if nuclear were NEVER going to be used, they weren't going to be stored right? And you see countries hiding their plans or production for such weapons.. And the way it goes currently is a Cold War

They obviously store the nukes for protection, and more like being part of the arms race as no big country would like to be without nukes when all the others have which will leave it vulnerable...

Still, i doubt they will use it, i mean, imagine what will happen to the planet if a nuclear war would start, the disasters, the explosions, the radiation...

Level 9
For one thing... i think even though it happens in america... it would still eventually affect other countries as well... so i stand against SOPA...
Although for now i'm not much into politics... so i won't really do much or debate it... i simply sign the petition.

Level 17
Hell, it'll happen, it's an imporvement for the world. Now do the rest of the things in this darn world that are not OK in such unnegotiable way and this may become a better place, what do you know.

How is this an improvement for the world? Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.