• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Some question about spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Currently, i am making a small RPG Campagin Maps [ which mean have some 2-3 maps] so i have a quest "How to make these Type of Spell ? " cause i'm really bad on making spell :grin:
-1st type of spell, it's deal damage equal to your Hero Str/Agi/Int
-2nd type of spell, it's like throwing a a bomb/fireball to some area that deal damage and knock enemy back
-3rd type of spell that make your hero charge to enemy/point deal damage and stun/slow

Thank you for your time and i hope you could help me on these spell :grin:

P/S: I am very bad at English, so sorry :D

Level 18
Currently, i am making a small RPG Campagin Maps [ which mean have some 2-3 maps] so i have a quest "How to make these Type of Spell ? " cause i'm really bad on making spell :grin:
-1st type of spell, it's deal damage equal to your Hero Str/Agi/Int
-2nd type of spell, it's like throwing a a bomb/fireball to some area that deal damage and knock enemy back
-3rd type of spell that make your hero charge to enemy/point deal damage and stun/slow

Thank you for your time and i hope you could help me on these spell :grin:

P/S: I am very bad at English, so sorry :D

1st: Use Channel as a base ability, configure it the way you like and then trigger the damage with action
  • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (Real((Strength, agility, intelligence of (Triggering unit) (Include bonuses)))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
2nd: U have to trigger this. Check DeathIsMyFriend's tutorial on how to make it MUI.
3rd: Also have to trigger this. I can make the spells later if someone doesn't do them.

Level 25
the first spell can be really simple, but it depends if its ranged ability or not. If its ranged ability, you will most likely need to use dummy unit to cast dummy spell and you will probably need damage detection system as well to correctly catch when unit takes damage.

If second spell should look like e.g. Acid Bomb ability (in terms of how the bomb flies towards its destination), then you will need dummy unit and dummy ability, damage detection system (or time calculation) to correctly catch the time when "bomb" lands and explodes. Then it is just stunning all foes close to the point of impact and moving them periodically bit by bit away from the point.

The third ability can be done really easily, but with flaws or really complex. The basic idea is to periodically (every 0.03 seconds) move the caster a tiny bit towards the destination.
The thing is - there are 3 options on how to move the caster
1) You order him to move there -> This won't require the periodic trigger, however speed has a relatively low cap (522 I think, maybe a bit more) and units usually don't move in straight line towards the destination. The hero will also collide with other units and objects, so he runs around them, etc.

2) You move him via "Unit - Move Unit" action -> good thing about this is that the hero can move really fast this way, but it has a problem with unrealistic look, because if you "move" the hero towards some point where other unit is, the hero will get moved to the next pathable point. In actual game it looks really unrealistic. This also interrupts current order, so the hero will immediately stop casting the ability.

3) You move the hero via SetUnitX and SetUnitY actions. This action takes care of the small flaws - unit won't get its order interrupted, so it will still cast the "charge" ability, it will run through units, so it reaches the destination at the fastest possible time and and any speed you want.
This has one big flaw, though. It completely ignores pathing -> if you're not careful, your hero will "run" through deep water or through cliffs. He may even stop (if the spell ends) stuck between destructibles with no way out.

For the third option, there is a way to check if point is pathable, however there's no easy way to calculate the shortest pathable route from point A to point B.
This leaves you with three options -> either make the hero run through everything towards the target; or make him stop if he gets to the first un-pathable point (units excluded) or trigger your own system to find out the shortest pathable route.

Status
Not open for further replies.