• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Are you allowed to use assets from another game in a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,

I have read the rules regarding using external assets in maps:

The use of external materials from sources outside of Warcraft III is only permitted if the under which they are released allows it, or it can be classified as Fair Use.
- Any material created by Blizzard Entertainment can safely be used.
- If they are released without terms / license, having permission from the author is preferred but not required, because the original author has full rights to have it removed.
- The Hive Workshop deems the usage of copyrighted material in maps Fair Use as long as the map does not take value away from the source (e.g. a game) and the usage is non-profitable.

Suppose I want to remake an older RTS game as a Warcraft 3 map/campaign, would it be considered fair use to import sound assets from that game if I make no money out of it.
Also what exatly does taking away value from the source mean?

Thanks!

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I guess, if someone replicates or even makes a better version of a game, it's OK, if the game is so old that it doesn't work on any new platform anymore? Until the original creator asks for the map to be taken down?
We are talking about published games here. Not old maps.
With old maps, we require that you make an effort to get in touch with the author and prove that you did so.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
We are talking about published games here. Not old maps.
Yeah, me too.
For instance a game like
Lords of Chaos (video game) - Wikipedia
Even though, the original creator (person, not company) is still alive but I don't know about the rights, who they belong to, I am asking, would there be a problem recreating that game with the World Editor and putting it on this site? Remaking it would obviously result in a better look and probably better gameplay mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.