• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture59708.png

160036-albums4747-picture59711.jpg

160036-albums4747-picture59709.png

Boss Fight

Contestants had to create a map with a tough boss that should be killed in 'phase-by-phase' style one by another.

160036-albums4747-picture59712.png

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityThere are some maps that include Bloodmage as a boss. For example, Psyonic in Skibi's Castle TD map where you must avoid his fires as a zergling. So, this isn't unique for WarCraft. The fight isn't very extraordinary. Overall, it is kind of 'destroy X of this things then Y of that so the boss will become vulnerable'. This concept is not original at all. I will put 4 points only because of hero abilities.4/15
Map Presentation
&Design
You must give some hints to players. Really. Because I thought there were no hotkeys written on the tooltips of hero abilities. I discovered about Q W E R hotkeys only after looking inside them in Object Editor. You must also explain how to control every hero in the battlefield. I know you've done it, but excuse me, this must also be in your map, not only in your post. Also, don't you think that loading screen must have the information about how to defeat the boss if you want to throw heroes in the fires of battle immediately instead of showing default picture to them?4/10
TerrainWhat must I rate here? Random tiles with a cliff? Some fire spams? This is low level of terraining and deservers only low score.5/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
This one requires deeper analysis.
  • You should use GroupClear function instead of destroying group. Also, I think you don't need that tGroup global because you have Blizzard's bj_lastCreatedGroup global variable (Last created group in GUI).
  • You must NOT null integers (you've done set counter = 0 that is unnecessary operation) because they don't leak.
Overall, nice for GUI.
6/10
Object DataThe icons are more or less in one gamma (but you'd better used custom icons to achieve more aesthetics), environment fits well, music fits too.10/10
GameplayMastering the control of 4 units together is really need practice. I've killed Bloodmage after 6th try (hoho, that was not so easy as you all think, folks) and was so happy... But the dynamics is really crazy, lower it down and all will be perfect! This really needs to be done but... maybe, some Koreans will like this one :) I don't mind about originality here.27/30
TotalSuch boss would be great to face in 4 people multiplayer game, but too complicated for newbies in single player. Anyways, good job with it!56/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityInteresting idea with this boss. You know, this reminded me dragons from Sacred game (great RPG from Ascaron). Killed these dragons with great pleasure and this one is not an exception. In WarCraft this idea is unique, have never seen it before.15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Music fits the gameplay, hints are well done, that's why this point goes max.10/10
TerrainSeems quite unfinished and empty... Tell me, why the terrain is always weak part of the maps with great gameplay? But is better than Adarsh, because is adding more atmosphere here.8/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
  • Can't you calculate Cos(90) by your own?
  • You should use GroupClear function instead of destroying group. Also, I think you don't need that TempGroup global because you have Blizzard's bj_lastCreatedGroup global variable (Last created group in GUI).
8/10
Object DataDon't you think that this dragon is REALLY (!!!) BIG? I can't avoid his spells with his size like that... Another ones are good.8/10
GameplayChallenging. Took 2-3 tries to defeat him. Interesting spells (liked Hammer Time the most :>). Takes time to master how to defeat28/30
TotalWell done except the big dragon size and some lesser things. Improve the boss a little bit to make it more worthy.77/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityArachnid in Warcraft isn't very unique idea but SO heavy arachnid with poison aura... Maybe it is worth the highest score but overall can't achieve it because you used spider idea... I saw that many times. But it is still original in some ways.14/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Hard work noticed here. You created fitting loading screen, imported music (yes, lotr ost fits here!) and done hints that player can easily understand. Very well done there.10/10
TerrainImpressive terraining! You've managed to create the atmosphere that is needed for the horror-style map like that. The first terrain from all the contestants that really well done. Reminded me booody's Diablo 3 map terraining.25/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
  • I think it would be better if you've implemented levels on Damage Bonus and Endurance Aura instead of creating separate abilities for each difficulty.
  • Offensive Skillsets, Defensive Skillsets, Utility Skillsets and Ultimate Skillsets triggers can be optimized. Just put the types of items that can be sold in the array and check this array with loop (organize the arrays of item sold and ability given). Will be a lot better.
  • Periodic camera locking? Why?
  • Rage Indicator full trigger... Can you tell me why you checking Honor Rune when you can just apply a formula 80-(Level of Honor Rune)*10. You will receive needed amount of food for checking without double condition.
  • Item Drop trigger... The only difference of the Spirit Rune condition parts is the type of item that will be created. So you'd better store this type inside the variable and then perform the rest of actions (with TempPoint1) outside the condition. This is one of the ways of improving performance.
These are just my advices on how to improve. Overall, this is good triggering.
8.7/10
Object DataAll fits well, simple and great, good work here.10/10
GameplayThat's the part I liked too. Arachnid looks challenging (was surprised when the spiders came and no boss jumping down but it finally jumped :D). If I'll be fair, I tried the hardest mode ingame. First time the boss defeated me, second time I've got my revenge. This map can cause addictions :c Overall, well done!30/30
TotalSimply great. And no other words.97.7/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityNever seen something like that if we'll talk about solving the puzzle before boss. But only in WarCraft. Something similar is in another PC games but it isn't so important here.14/15
Map Presentation
&Design
This one is good one. Terrain isn't included here, so the presentation along with all the hints (see loadscreen) is what I liked.10/10
TerrainSand textures in lavaland? Floating cliffs? No, thanks.10/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
  • Use the order id's instead of calling OrderId(order).
  • IssuePointOrder must be changed to IssuePointOrderById. Again, use the ID's.
Overall, the code is well done.
9.7/10
Object DataThere are some unfitting units (like generators) but overall it is good.8/10
GameplayThe beginning is just boring. The bossfight is better. There are the ways to improve. A lot.11/30
TotalModerate terrain with boring gameplay but more or less interesting bossfight.62.7/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityWhat do we have here? No terrain, banal Diablo. Guess my mark for it.1/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Design? No, not heard. Presentation? It looks ok but not more than ok.3/10
TerrainFlat ground can't be called the terrain.0/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
What can I say... Lots of unnecessary and sometimes leaking triggers. I'm not going to analyze this mess deeper here because this is mess.4/10
Object DataThe part I really liked because all fits well.10/10
GameplayThe beginning is just boring. The bossfight is even more boring... *yawn* Again, guess my mark.2/30
TotalI think this will be the worst bossfight I saw here.21/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityOriginal idea... Liked it.15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
The design overall is great but no major hints were seen by me. That's WHAT made me mad about it. But this music... I liked it.7/10
TerrainSweet. I caught this atmosphere and this is enough to max this point.25/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
These unnecessary triggers need some glue to become good.7/10
Object DataAll fits well. That's all I can say.10/10
GameplayThis is...ehm...curious part of this map. I got negative HP regen and was surprised I was killed after some seconds :eek:26/30
TotalGood one. Needs brains and attention to manage it.90/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityThis idea is so good. Never saw 'Gnomes versus demon' bossfights.15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
There was a big amout of work so I will respect that.10/10
TerrainWhatshappening with my eyes? o_0 I think you must make less RED things. Is good overall.20/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
I've seen enough here. I'm impressed because I've found no leaks or unnecessary stuff.10/10
Object DataAll fits well. Again. That's all I can say!10/10
GameplayClassic warcraft campaign feeling... This is the greatest thing I can say about the map.30/30
TotalI liked the feeling, conception and overall map.95/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityPretty simple. Reminds me melee warcraft maps.10/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Good one. Loadscreen is good, overall hints are good.10/10
TerrainSimple melee terrain. But is nice overall.18/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
GUI. Waits. No leaks but notice that GUI does unnecessary function calls that can be avoided using Jass so it's really worth to improve.10/10
Object DataAll fits well. (Combo breaker! o_o)10/10
GameplayClassic melee creeping. Well done. And that murloc minigame... Funny thing! But this is only creeping...27/30
TotalVery neat map with melee elements.84/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityJust representation of Warcraft scenario.1/15
Map Presentation
&Design
So-so. No hints and what-to-dos.4/10
TerrainSimple, overall FLAT(!!!) terrain.8/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
GUI. Waits. No leaks but notice that GUI does unnecessary function calls that can be avoided using Jass so it's really worth to improve.10/10
Object DataAll fits well. (Combo breaker x2! o_o)10/10
Gameplay...and what was that?4/30
TotalReally...and what was that? I've slain Terenas for 15 seconds!36/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityNeat boss who lacks originality... Even this contest is overloaded by demon thematics.8/15
Map Presentation
&Design
No hints again. All other is good.7/10
TerrainSimple, overall FLAT(!!!) terrain.8/25
Triggers
&Effiency
&Performance
I liked this jass coding. No leaks, nevermind about preload lag.10/10
Object DataAll fits well. (Combo breaker x3!!!)10/10
GameplayNeat one. I liked the dynamical gameplay with triggered and customized boss. It was quite hard to kill him.26/30
TotalThis map is neat one. So this one deserves good score.66/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityStar Wars in Warcraft 3? Man, you'd better invented something more original, futuristic theme isn't so new.6/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Liked custom sounds on units, models and overall design. Some minor problems are but this isn't so important.10/10
TerrainFitting tile textures mixed with some wc3 winter tiles. Great solution. Liked this winter feeling. Max point.25/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
GUI, there are no good coders who like waits. Anyways, no major problems.10/10
Object DataLet's just say, this is done good. No unnecessary units, import is well fitting.10/10
GameplayIntense boss with mini-boss. Both were interesting - if we say so, I needed some time to discover how to defeat them. That is good and not so good, kinda double-edged. Making such bosses means that you make the game less newb-friendly (thought that the guard was invulnerable first 2 times :eek:). The chat with the vendor might help but it won't work... Overall, very challeging.24/30
TotalNice fights with great design.93/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityJust another demon journey.8/15
Map Presentation
&Design
No problems here except the lack of tip about missing autoattack.9.5/10
TerrainVery well done... Oh, this fires will now burn in my eyes.22/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
Half-GUI, Half-Jass? There was used the FSGUI system but I won't be picky on that because it don't related directly to boss and just some cosmetics. Also, please, don't destroy and recreate the group, use clearing.8/10
Object DataLet's just say, this is done good. No unnecessary units, import is well fitting.10/10
GameplayGood bossfight, I like it. But missing some...creative features.25/30
TotalHeroes fighting the demon. Epic one. Nothing more to say.82.5/100
FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityNever seen such an arcade in wc3.15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
All is good. No problems here.10/10
TerrainQuite good for such a genre. If you ask for my personal opinion, I'd like to see space.24/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
Well coded one!10/10
Object DataThis also done good. No unnecessary units, import is well fitting.10/10
GameplayThat was a complete nostalgia!30/30
TotalThis one is the one from which I especially loved.99/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityOriginal way of defeating the boss :)15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
All is good. No problems here.10/10
TerrainI think you can guess what I'll say. This thing is P L A I N! No good decorations, only some cliffs that can be only a scratch of terrain.16/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
It leaks. A lot. Double locations, undestroyed effects... Weird.3/10
Object DataThis is what done good. No unnecessary units, import is well fitting.10/10
GameplayAnother nostalgia! You must plan your jumps carefully and... this boss is always after you! So intense...30/30
TotalAwesome idea with bad triggering.84/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityVery original idea with great execution. I haven't seen many platformers in WarCraft III. Author wrote his story and his idea is great. So I'll max this point.15/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Extremely liked this one. Though loading screen isn't on max quality, that isn't important because all is fitting well.10/10
TerrainSimple is the best. And that dungeon feeling... Liked it. I feeled like in the real dungeon (just get rid of all the light to feel the same!) This impressed me.25/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
There are some problems. 'Chat' option inside the shop won't work. Haven't noticed any leaks, anyways, it is GUI.8.5/10
Object DataVery well. The music, units and other is fitting perfectly. There was some great amount of work.10/10
GameplayIntense boss with mini-boss. Both were interesting - if we say so, I needed some time to discover how to defeat them. That is good and not so good, kinda double-edged. Making such bosses means that you make the game less newb-friendly (thought that the guard was invulnerable first 2 times :eek:). The chat with the vendor might help but it won't work... Overall, very challeging.24/30
TotalSimply great! Tickles, make a platformer game, pwetty pwease :3 I will play it ^_^92.5/100

FieldCommentPoints
OriginalityYou know how many hell-stylized maps are even in that contest?5/15
Map Presentation
&Design
Looks ok. Deserves 7 points, but no more. You need more original execution of presentation than so trivial you've just done.7/10
TerrainYou really want my eyes to burn, oh dear...22/25
Triggers
&Efficiency
&Performance
Half-GUI, half-Jass... No leaks found.9.5/10
Object DataBah, good work again!10/10
GameplayI got lucky to fight with the boss who tells me what is he going to do. Made me laughing. Easy but challenging.28/30
TotalSo hoooot in here... This can be said about both boss and map.81.5/100

Calculation Formula: ((Poll Votes / Total Poll Votes) * 35) + ((Judge's Results) * (65 / 100)))

• Tickles [67,125]
• Lordkoon [61,45]
• Dat-C3 [14,65]
• DSanhueza [66,75]
• Aeroblyctos [56,05]
• DeathChef [59,5]
• Rufus [56,6]
• mckill2009 [67,35]
• Cokemonkey11 [42,755]
• MaTiJa97 [55,625]
• eubz [54,6]
• Adarsh [36,4]
• Jazztastic [23,4]
• BeTaGod- [67,505]
• -Kobas- [43,9]
• Xiliger [52,975]

1) BeTaGod-
2) mckill2009
3) Tickles
4) DSanhueza
5) Lordkoon
6) DeathChef
7) Rufus
8) Aeroblyctos
9) MaTiJa97
10) eubz
11) Xiliger
12) -Kobas-
13) Cokemonkey11
14) Adarsh
15) Jazztastic
16) Dat-C3

160036-albums4747-picture59716.png
160036-albums4747-picture59715.png
160036-albums4747-picture59714.png

Poll | Contest

Level 37
Terrain 8 / 25? Because of terrain I like lost? Wow, is the terrain really that bad? Well, if you say so, judge.

I hope you judged the terrain where the boss is fight, not elsewhere(because other places will be added later).

(If you didn't, then you've done a bad job as a judge)

Congratz to the winners but also thanks to everyone who joined to contest! It was very nice contest, one of my favorites! But by making the contest longer was a bad thing and the judging took way too long.

@Aeroblyctos Even if I where to get full 100/100 from judging I wouldn't of been able to even get into 3rd place, so please stop whining.
Also for the judging for my triggering those numerous triggers where for the cinematic at the start of the map and are deleted after each of the scenes are triggered (finished). With having these multiple triggers, this is probably the best solution for cinematics unless if I where to use waits. Even if I did use waits it would end up being inefficient either way due to my skip cinematic trigger. Just remember that this is GUI that I was dealing with with done to the best of m ability(with what time i gave myself for this part xD).

Dude did you look how much more opportunity you got with attention and those fans that where interested in your map. That attention was built up from before this contest even started (and i think you know what I mean by this). All I really wanted in this contest was to make a fine and high quality map and not the attention grab. just look at my downloads on my map entry, I never realy got the opportunity for much votes and most people end up never getting around to voting so this just decreased my chance of any votes.
I really just happy that I got 1 vote.

Level 12
First of all - congratulations for the winners!

In other news - ...that judging is... so... eugh, I don't even have words for it.

Level 14
I must say I am a bit dissapointed with the lenght of the reviews. Very shallow and I think I got too much points Oo
Then this struck me

Originality Star Wars in Warcraft 3? Man, you'd better invented something more original, futuristic theme isn't so new.

Because fighting dragons and mages with flamestrikes is much more original that there are like 20 star wars maps and 20 000 elvish,orc-ish, horrorish ...etc -ish maps. :vw_wtf:

Congratulations on the winners. They do deserved it.

@Aero I think you'v been trolled.
In WarCraft this idea is unique, have never seen it before.
- a dragon bossfight. :goblin_wtf:

Level 14
Well, its good to finally have the results out. Take into account the amount of entries when criticising the judging. It could use some work, but its always a solid thing volunteering for contest judging.

Anyways, Congratulations to the winners! It was great seeing such a turn out for this competition. I hope to see some of y'all try again with Mini Mapping Contest #8 :)

Cheers,
~Asomath

Level 25
I will judge #8 :D

Mhhm shouldn't we have different judges just for the sake of giving somebody else the chance to judge?

Also some people seem to have a problem with the way you judged this contest so might be a good idea to talk about this in solo mini mapping contest #8 and ask the currently interested future contestants and Pharaoh_.
I didn't really read the reviews so i am staying neutral atm about this.

Sorry for offtopic.

Level 21
Judging was off the walls for this one :eekani: But I guess it's good that the results are finally posted. Congratulations BeTaGod- and mckill2009.

And you got ranked in my mind, DSanhueza! I'm throwing all my available rep at you now.

I don't know how many times i have to say it but I didn't produce a real entry. THAT WAS MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
And you still didn't get last place. That's so crazy :goblin_jawdrop:

Level 30
You got problems with judge? Please be kind and contact Arena mods instead of bitching in here.

Every contest = same situation. You have no judges and in the last moment before the contest gets deceived, someone is willing to save the contest by giving away his/her time, effort and will. You should at least say 'thanks', no matter how superficial the judging was. Yes, I agree that the comments were rather sharp and short, but 'thank you': where is it?
Stop whining and get serious: don't be immature, create a new thread and discuss this if you feel serious missjustice has been done to you.

End of discussion (in this thread).

Level 14
Mhhm shouldn't we have different judges just for the sake of giving somebody else the chance to judge?

Also some people seem to have a problem with the way you judged this contest so might be a good idea to talk about this in solo mini mapping contest #8 and ask the currently interested future contestants and Pharaoh_.
I didn't really read the reviews so i am staying neutral atm about this.

Sorry for offtopic.

Well, I've already volunteered as a Judge for #8. But it would be good to see new blood balance out my personal opinions XD

@Apheraz, I agree, there's always a faint sense of disdain after each contest. Perhaps that’s why Pharaoh has implemented new judging restrictions. It takes too much time to rejudge a contest anyways if there are complaints, and it’s a blow to the spirit of the person who volunteered to play every map and review 'em. Sometimes concerns might be warranted but other times, things just need to be put into perspective.

Either way, I’m ready to handle #8 :)

~Asomath

Level 9
Wow. I really wasnt trying to get first place or anything I just wanted to see if I was a good mapper and was looking forward to the reviews and feedback to make the map better more than anything and I get such poor review that does not tell me shit about my map, just that is "good". Its fine tho I guess I will have to ask more people to review my map xD

@Apheraz Lucent, you keep constantly saying that, but why should we create a new useless thread instead of just discussing it here, where it would actually be on-topic and it's not like the results thread is used for anything else, people are just saying "congrats", might as well complain about the judging, it's not like the judging's sent to every user, no, it's right here in the main post.
And also I don't remember bowser being a last minute judge, he was one of the judges as far as I know as soon as the contest started. Thank god Pharaoh_'s made the new judging restriction.

Level 28
Wow entries got murdered there, I have some questions though,

• Lordkoon's entry is great and looks very original, never seen a better Star War map like that.
  • futuristic theme isn't so new.

So what do you guys want? Make a medieval map. Hmmm yeah thats original also.

• Another one on -Kobas- work
    Simple, overall FLAT(!!!) terrain.

*cough* Look on the Background *cough*

-Kobas- terrain is actually looks good, and the area of the boss fight is flat because its awkward to see a tower in the middle of no where with a very little spaces right?

Sometimes you must judge the terrain on how it work with the gameplay, the special effects made by the boss removes the emptiness of the terrain.

• Never seen such an arcade in wc3.

I've seen many, I can name some if you want? I see that you're judging base on your experience not with what the War3 community have on the originality criteria. That's bias man.

I have more question but the contest is over now so its useless to get the answer for all of my questions. Anyway I think you did a great job on the other criteria, like the trigger etc.

Congrats to the winners anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.