• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skypunk

Level 36
Hey!

I did a thing again, and I'm very happy with how this turned out :)

This one started out as an attempt at trying to remake my very first terrain ever with the reforged editor, Peach Garden.
But I didn't like where it was going, so I decided to take the idea in a completely new direction, and here's the result:

Skypunk.png

Before anyone comments on it: The lighting was a nightmare to work on, I've tried and tried to get rid of as many of the "black spots" on the trees that I can without overdoing the whiteness that comes with it (or overdoing the lighting on other objects by association), and this is where I finally arrived, not perfect, but good enough. I'm especially happy about how the boats worked out, the new human ships have a very "Skypunk" vibe to them, and using the Night Elf ships flipped upside down under to add those "fin-sails" couldn't have turned out better, almost as if they were designed for it! <3

I hope you like it :)

Credits:

• Talavaj: As always, your amazing modular resources keep making terraining absolutely wonderful!
  • Sapprine: Even though they aren't very visible (except the lighthouse), I used your docks doodads over on the right side :)
  • Barorque and Vibe: For making those awesome trees that I've completely fallen in love with ^^
  • General Frank for the rope model again :), and Mr. Smite for the lantern, which I am so happy for.

Attachments

• Skypunk.w3m
    35.8 MB · Views: 89
Looks really nice!

If possible, can you try to increase the Z scale of the clouds in the middle and lowering them further down? Just curious how it will look as I've had good results with high Z value on those cloud models before. As it is the "S" shape of the clouds looks slightly copy-pasted, but only when I am really looking for it.

Other than that a very good piece. I wonder how it would look in-game with real lighting and proper ambient occlusion 😏

EDIT: Just tried the thing with the clouds and sadly it doesn't look good. Something about HD mode makes them have distinct borders which makes them look out of place. In SD mode their Z scale could be increased a lot to get a "foggy" effect that looked quite nice.

Last edited:
Level 36
This is beautiful. A real piece of art. :)
I weirdly reminds me of the 'Heaven' place in Jade Empire.

Thank you so much!

Would you mind finding me a screenshot of what you mean? I tried googling it, but found nothing particularly related to "heaven" and "Jade Empire".

Looks really nice!

Thanks!

EDIT: Just tried the thing with the clouds and sadly it doesn't look good. Something about HD mode makes them have distinct borders which makes them look out of place. In SD mode their Z scale could be increased a lot to get a "foggy" effect that looked quite nice.

Yeah, sadly that is the case, just don't look closely ;)

I wonder how it would look in-game with real lighting and proper ambient occlusion 😏

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW. Or, I guess you might, since I attached the map and you can go check it out for yourself >.>

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW. Or, I guess you might, since I attached the map and you can go check it out for yourself >.>
Oh I already checked it, but because of the max far Z value I can't really see a lot. I'm still playing with the thought of making a terrain that's 1/3rd of the normal scale just to circumvent the far Z limit in game. It would be glorious.

Thank you so much!

Would you mind finding me a screenshot of what you mean? I tried googling it, but found nothing particularly related to "heaven" and "Jade Empire".