• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Eve's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pretty old piece that me and @lord_Turin and @Strydhaizer started 2 years ago.

Environment and atmosphere made by me, castle made by lord_Turin and some decorations by Strydhaizer.

We took inspiration from @raid1000's Wolf's Lair since it gave out a positive vibe.
Also, this is sort of a comeback to terraining for me. Happy 2017 guys :]

Attachments

• eve's edge.png
    eve's edge.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 422
Remember, this is only for scenic terraining. It is by no means meant to be playable terrain.

You can make the sky (distance) 'bigger' by holding left click and Control key at the same time. Don't forget that we place an over-sized stormsphere model outside the others models to cover up the ugly skybox that the editor uses.
Oh, I need still a lot of things to learn about terraining.
Thanks! I will try it when I go at my PC.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The mountains are its strongest point. Needs better trees though. High res stuff usually never work well when they're that small. Try out some low res stuff with clearer textures maybe? When it's that far off, you don't see the shabby details anyways. And scale them up a bit.

I think the main drag is that it's so monotonous. It's nor your fault, it's the textures. You can't tell anything apart in the construction line, for one, even though it's really well done.

The water is another thing. It looks really lifeless and I thought it was just an empty spot of ground until I took a closer look. Try a clearer colour. Maybe even standard blue. Could help the overall colour composition.

It's a cool piece all in all though. Good to see you back at it!

Level 36
Sexy.

Unlike my better half, fladder, I actually appreciate the monotonous nature of this terrain, which I don't often say.
The fact that the water melds fluently with the land, that the horizon melds flawlessly with the sky and overall the
warmth in the choice of colour is really neat. This is certainly something I could hang over my fireplace. If I had a
fireplace. Where I do agree with fladder, though, is with the trees. Although for me it's specifically the pines in the
background, they are far to scarce and spread out. I think it could be easily fixed by either grouping them more
together, or just spamming a whole lot more of them. Some variation in size would be nice as well.

I absolutely love the sun, though. The way it seems to be consisting of it's reflection on the water and in the fog
makes it seem like it was painted, like a beautiful oil painting.

Bravo guys, great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.