1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Skinning Problem - I need help.

Discussion in 'Texturing & Surfacing' started by grato, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    So I was reskinning the Acolyte of original WCIII. My first test (when I had only finished his hood) was fine, but then, after I finished his arm, saved it, converted it and imported it, I could only see the team colours in game.

    Have you got any idea what could have caused this (and how to solve it)?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Arowanna

    Arowanna

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1,306
    Resources:
    13
    Icons:
    4
    Skins:
    8
    Tutorials:
    1
    Resources:
    13
    Extract a new acolyte.blp
    Copy on your own version.
    Paste it on the new acolyte.blp
    Resave the file and try again.

    This usually fixes it.

    And instead of using the WE as a "unit shower",
    download Warcraft III Viewer.
     
  3. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    Sadly, that didn't work. It still looks messed up. Maybe I misunderstood you, because my English isn't too well.

    What you recommended was:
    • Extracting another Acolyte.tga from the war3.mpq
    • Copying my edited skin over the new .tga
    • Converting the .tga to BLP.
    • Try again.

    Is that correct?
     
  4. GregerTheGreat

    GregerTheGreat

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    Messages:
    42
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    Yeah, I think so. I have no idea what could cause this.
     
  5. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    Hmm, too bad. I hope someone else knows.
     
  6. Arowanna

    Arowanna

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1,306
    Resources:
    13
    Icons:
    4
    Skins:
    8
    Tutorials:
    1
    Resources:
    13
    Yes, that should be it.
    I don't know if it might be something with the alpha,
    and skip .tga in my opinion.
     
  7. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    Uhm, but how am I supposed to edit the skin then. I can't edit a raw .blp, I DO need to convert it first. Or is there any secret way I don't know about?
     
  8. Arowanna

    Arowanna

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1,306
    Resources:
    13
    Icons:
    4
    Skins:
    8
    Tutorials:
    1
    Resources:
    13
    I put .tga behind because of this problem and started using
    .bmp and .jpg, but you don't need to put .tga away if you don't feel like it :p

    .bmp is "worse", but worked for me when I made textures.
     
  9. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    It works in .bmp. Thanks! +rep
     
  10. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    Alright, so I've got the same problem with another skin I was editing. It worked fine, until I touched his forehead, then it got all invisible/teamcolor again, even though I was editing it in .bmp and not in .tga.

    The problem exists only in WE, in the WC3Viewer the skin works fine.
     
  11. A.R.

    A.R.

    Texture Reviewer

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Messages:
    340
    Resources:
    11
    Models:
    5
    Icons:
    1
    Skins:
    5
    Resources:
    11
    The transparency issue is due to a problem with the alpha channel in the texture. What program and export settings are you using?

    If you're using Photoshop, go to the Channels tab (next to the Layers tab). You should find the alpha channel there. The alpha channel tells WC3 (or any other program) what parts of the texture to make transparent. If your entire texture (besides the team colour) is invisible, chances are that it'll be entirely black.

    Also make sure if you're exporting to .bmp, you export using the 32bit setting.
     
  12. grato

    grato

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    72
    Resources:
    0
    Resources:
    0
    I use GIMP, and I already checked the Alpha Channel. Those parts where there should be teamcolor are transparent, and the rest is black. Strange thing though, that in my saves which work the alpha channel looks exactly the same.