• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help with skinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Heya guys,

I wanted/needed some custom hero's for my map, so i thought: let's try to alpha skin away some weps and shields from some units, so i can attach new weps, so i read like 2 tutorials about it and thought i figured it totally out, and so i started following it step by step and my result looked like his I was like yay is this all and then I imported the file ( i know how to add skins)
and then changed path to Textures\Bandit.blp tht was the one i skinned from, but when i tested my map it doesnt work so i was like wtf did i do wrong then i thought tht i could best post it out here so maybe someone know the answer to this

bandithelp.JPG

bandithelp2.JPG

greetz khazr

Level 38
Some skins don't support alpha channels at all, at least for getting rid of objects. The bandit is one of those skins. You can force the alpha channels to work in these skins by setting up a trigger were you set the unit in question to have 1% transparency through Animation-->Change Unit Vertex Coloring and setting the field labeled as transparency to 1%.

However, if you get rid of the helmet on the bandit it will leave a gaping hole in his head, the only part of his head that will remain will be his face :(

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

My advice to you first hand: try the same technique on the DemonHunter.blp (common example-skin) - Alpha out his blade completely, and import the skin. If the weapon is gone, then you're doing things correct and the problem is only (as stated above) that certain models do not support transparency in the shape of removal - some ignore it, some make team-colour (in certain areas, ie if you alpha out a shoulder-pad you might find the shoulder-pad is still there, only it's 100% team-colour - this isn't always the case, experiment with it) and mostly (at least with weapons) you'll get the result you want. Shields are likely to have team-colour, so attempting to alpha out shields usually leaves you with a team-coloured, unshaded shield (ie completely red). Removing helmets and other elements that hide something (hoods, skirts, etc) is generally a bad idea, because in order to save polygons, the models do not have any surface where it is normally not visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.