• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple "Beam" type effect (includes reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi! Bored and looking to do something kinda different?

So most effects that are like a "beam" are more like "Artillery strikes" as they come from the sky, and aren't instant. What I'm looking for is described in the snippet below:

https://youtu.be/_fTnAqOqFok?t=13s

Most things that come close to this are a ribbon style projectile but as you probably know their appearance can be somewhat inconsistent with faster missile speeds. Seeing the whole beam fading in and out at once like in the video is more dramatic and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm subbed to this thread and I'll rep you if you come up with something good!

Level 9
So basically, you're looking for idea AOE effect suggestions?
Yeah that's how it would look like in the vid. But actually the plan is to only hit one target. Idk if it's possible to have a beam look like that since in wc3 it usually would stop when it hits the target. Maybe a certain texture? I'm less than a novice at this stuff :D

Level 20
If you do plan to make it an ability it would greatly needed to code it well, the purpose is to target a point and create a laser line but this line effect will be blocked by the enemy units that are detected on a line path right? This would need a knowledge from triggering especially on MUI stuff and lightnings. If your actually talking about the beam model which fades in and fades out animation then you can use the hero revive effect and attach it to the dummy and set it's pitch angle to achieve a line effect ( this trick was commonly used for beam effects )

Level 9
I'll take a look at that map in just a minute.

I'm kinda bad at explaining the functionality I want. I guess imagine a shockwave that instantly hits everything caught in the radius between point A (caster's pos) and point B (tgt point cast). Wc3 doesn't really have a skill that does this

EDIT:

I like those effects, actually the skill I'm attempting to make was originally a single target spell for years. But I wondered if it would be cooler to do what I described above after this topic got revived. It's an ability though, and not an attack.

Last edited:
Level 21
I'm kinda bad at explaining the functionality I want. I guess imagine a shockwave that instantly hits everything caught in the radius between point A (caster's pos) and point B (tgt point cast). Wc3 doesn't really have a skill that does this
So, are you asking for a model, triggers or both? I'm sure there are some spells in the spells section that work like that.

Level 20
Line segment enumeration system does that. Or you can code it actually if you love math lol.

Edit: Yes maybe theres no warcraft based skill that instantly damages enemy units in a line.

Level 9
Edit - I found some triggers that I can edit to do what I need. Now the most important thing would be a graphic. Idk how simple something like the beam in that video is to make. Like a flash with no travel time. As long as it can extend up to 600-700 range. Either that or maybe it should just be a lightning effect and I'll edit out the wavy-ness in the .slk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.