• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Sight Operations and Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've downloaded the WoW weapon pack found on this thread
to attach a weapon to one of my units.
the weapon is attached and modified via sight ops (explicit rotation and local offset) and looks fine in the editor, however, in-game, the attachment seems to be locked in place, only updating when the unit moves, but does not flow with the unit's default stand animation

what's going on?

EDIT: I attached it to the Hardpoint01 of a civilian female which is her attacking arm, but the attachment model also doesn't move during her attack animation

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The weapon model is not designed to update attachments (which shows that the author of it was stupid since that is a key property of attachment models).

You have two choices...
1. Fix the model so it will update when attached to something.
2. Use an adapter model which will update when attached to something. Dr Super Evil says the marine models will work as an adapter but I advise using a simpler custom one as I doubt that is resource efficient.

Oh bummer,
well at least it wasn't a mistake on my part.
but now I've come to an Impasse
Where can i request these models to be fixed or find a custom adapter model?

EDIT:
i just tried to attach a different model (changing the model of the attachment) and i think the problem is not of the model but of the sOP Explicit Rotation
This thread details the same problem i'm having: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/data/9208-data-rotate-attached-actor-or-model/

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Like I said, Dr Super Evil says it is the models not the method that cause the problems. That thread also uses a badly imported model with improperly set attachments. He says the simplest solution is to use a marine as an adapter as the marine does have proper attachments bot obviously this is more complex than it could be.

I have not explored actors as much as he has so I am confident he knows what he is talking about.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do not know where he posts his explanations, only what he tells me.

I advise trying to attach a marine instead of a sword to the unit as a test. If the marine works fine (follows animations) he clearly speaks the truth about the attachment point. If it suffers the same problem then some other mistake must be occurring and I will shout at him about it tomorrow.

I tried the marine, and it seems the same problem is still occuring
The only Sight operations i'm using are Local Offset
JASS:
Field   Weapon Offset
(Basic) Actor: Local Offset	                (0.000000,-0.400000,-0.050000)
(Basic) Actor: Overriding Length        	(0.000000)
(Basic) Event: Events +	
Actor: Aliases +	
Actor: Copy Source	
Actor: Filter +	
Actor: Filter Players +	
Actor: Flags +	
Actor: Fog Visibility	                     Snapshot
Actor: Hold Position	                     Disabled
Actor: Hold Rotation	                     Disabled
Actor: Sharing	None
Editor: Editor Categories	
Editor: Editor Comment	
Editor: Editor Description	
Editor: Editor Name	                         Weapon Offset
Editor: Editor Prefix	
Editor: Editor Suffix	
Event: Macros +	
Event: Remove +	
Event: Terms	
Hosting: Host Supporter +	                 Implicit:Implicit:(None):Disabled:Disabled
Properties: Accepted Property Transfers +	 Model Scale, Cast Shadows, Cloak Effect, Creep Engulfment, Decal, Local Tint Color, Opacity, Scale, Team Color, Time Scale, Tint Color, Visibility, Warp Group
Properties: Accepted Transfers +	
Properties: Inherit Type                     Continuous
Properties: Inherited Properties +
and Explicit Rotation
JASS:
Field	 Weapon Flip
(Basic) Event: Events +	
Actor: Aliases +	
Actor: Copy Source	
Actor: Filter +	
Actor: Filter Players +	
Actor: Flags +	
Actor: Fog Visibility	                    Snapshot
Actor: Forward	                            (-0.300000,0.700000,-0.300000)
Actor: Hold Position	                    Disabled
Actor: Hold Rotation	                    Disabled
Actor: Is Local	Enabled
Actor: Sharing	None
Actor: Up	                                (-1.000000,-1.000000,0.000000)
Editor: Editor Categories	
Editor: Editor Comment	
Editor: Editor Description	
Editor: Editor Name	                        Weapon Flip
Editor: Editor Prefix	
Editor: Editor Suffix	
Event: Macros +	
Event: Remove +	
Event: Terms	
Hosting: Host Supporter +	                Implicit:Implicit:(None):Disabled:Disabled
Properties: Accepted Property Transfers +	Model Scale, Cast Shadows, Cloak Effect, Creep Engulfment, Decal, Local Tint Color, Opacity, Scale, Team Color, Time Scale, Tint Color, Visibility, Warp Group
Properties: Accepted Transfers +	
Properties: Inherit Type                 	Continuous
Properties: Inherited Properties +

Status
Not open for further replies.