• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Custom Unit Animation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello all!

I created a custom unit from scratch and the one problem i'm having is the walk animation for my unit.

In the actor for my unit, i used GenericStandardUnit as the parent.

The unit is a ghost and i applied the ghost.anims in the model category.

I also cannot figure out how to setup the event+ for animations in the actor category for my unit.
(I've seen guides, and i've tried them, but to no avail. Like SBD. AnimationBracket and AnimationBaselineStart, ect.)

The moment i move my unit, he stands upright and appears to slide around the ground.

He has no feet movement animations at all. No left foot / right foot movement.

Also, this is unrelated question. When i want to attack with my unit, i have to directly point my unit and aim at an enemy in order for my unit to fire and attack. I'm not sure what is messed up. This is something that i cannot figure out as well.

I haven't been able to find a thread about this question on the internet or in a video.

So i wanted to ask on here, for help. If anyone can help me, you'll be greatly appreciated :).

Unit anim.png
As he moves, he looks like this.

Unit aim problem.png
Once I click to attack a unit, at any angle, he'll aim like this.

Unit aiming.png
He won't auto target, i have to align him directly for him to attack.

Last edited:
Level 2
Interesting developments!

I was able to fix my unit attack targeting issue. Before whenever i issued an attack, i had to literally aim my unit at the target and he'd fire.

I now fixed that and my unit can auto target an enemy! Whether standing and if in range or when i issue a attack.

The issue with this was either that i had custom footprints linked to my Unit which caused the problem (I deleted it, i wanted footprints, It never worked, was from early on in the making). Also i had certain values edited, Behavior:ResourceType, (at the time i was trying to figure out how to acquire minerals from a unit that is killed, but i solved that by using Combat:Kill Resource +) Event: Event Footprint Actor was also edited, Reseted.

I did some other adjustments, but now i can't remember them.

But the best news is that i fixed my animation issue for movement! Yippie!

I finally figured out the problem for my ghosts animation. I looked into Animation: Baselines + and saw that the Stand and Walk were already set!

I then went into Event: Events + and added these events.

UnitMovementUpdate
Source Name (My unit)
Sub Name: Stand
---------------------> AnimBracketStart:
Name: Stand
Opening - Stand, Content - none, Closing -none

UnitMovementUpdate
Source Name (My unit)
Sub Name: Walk
----------------------> AnimBracketStart:
Name: Walk
Opening - Walk, Content - Walk, Closing -none

I finally fixed my issues! I hope this helps someone!

Edit:
(To avoid the unit from walk looping in one spot, wereas hes suppose to be standing)

Added these too.

UnitMovementUpdate
Source Name (My unit)
Sub Name: Stand
----------------------> AnimBracketStop:
Name: Stand

UnitMovementUpdate
Source Name (My unit)
Sub Name: Walk
---------------------> AnimBracketStop:
Name: Walk

Last edited: