• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Showcase: Marshlands Orc Encampments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The orcs have always been quite adaptative towards hostile environments of many sorts. The damp, putrid, large Marshlands were no exception.

Having enough ground, they can build firmly their settlement.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_22-58-54.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-0-48.png

Above all, their commander can oversee how the settlement thrives.

Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-0-11.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-2-44.png

Homes and arsenals firmly built onto the marshlands, withstanding the rain, and torches and fire providing sight among the foggy environment.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-1-42.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-17-46.png

upload_2019-8-4_22-18-47.png

An entrance firmly build, walls made of the hardest of leathers, picked from the toughest boars and boiled to a point where they resist as much as wood.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-3-31.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-25-4.png

Usually they pick a place where there used to be buildings, or ruins, so they can place the camp more firmly.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-4-34.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-23-58.png

Devoted to the dark arts and shamanic rituals, orcs have their own religion different to elves and humans, where they either delve into nature of things, or into the darkness of the arcane itself.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-5-18.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-26-50.png

Having enough experience on sea, they can easily navigate through and march towards any objective.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-6-1.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-27-30.png

Even as ferocious as they can be, man flesh and boar meat is not the only food they eat.
Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-9-7.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-29-13.png

Having enough knowledge, they can produce or pick up the food themselves, brewing the strongest of ales, herding the best meat, and if required, fishing and trading with others... Though, the orcs would rather not trade unless is critically important.

Before:
upload_2019-8-2_23-10-38.png

After:
upload_2019-8-4_22-30-43.png

upload_2019-8-4_22-31-29.png

Resources used: First jass new gen pack, then WEX, then normal world edit when Hive WE temporarily died, and Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0

EDIT1:
  • Removed fog for the time being, until I find out what looks better. Tried eerie fog but it looked bad.
  • Added pebbles.
  • Resized orcish rugs.
  • Added the same badly spammed fog as lighting, removed some torches and an extra misplaced firepit.
  • Moved some grass patches and recolored them to fit the environment.
  • Added a green glow to the shamanic area.
  • Added a couple more screenshots to give a better perspective of the surrounding.

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-4_22-6-48.png
    upload_2019-8-4_22-6-48.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • upload_2019-8-4_22-23-41.png
    upload_2019-8-4_22-23-41.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • upload_2019-8-4_22-28-0.png
    upload_2019-8-4_22-28-0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • upload_2019-8-4_22-31-14.png
    upload_2019-8-4_22-31-14.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
For a vanilla-textured resource that you have used, I'd say they all complement well (especially the interior, I like the interior).

However there are still things you can do, some areas needs to be fixed aswell.
• I am not sure if I like the glows, it looks good when viewed sideways but not when viewed with the default WC3 camera. I suggest using the Eerie Fog instead (see attachment). You should rather use the glows to the light sources instead (camp fires, torches etc.) and tint it to bright orange.
• You spammed too much carpets in the interior, you need to decrease the amount of those, you can scale few of those up instead of placing many.
• The grasses overlap with the walls (see sixth image), you may want to move them further from the walls.
• The grasses/seaweeds at the fifth image need some tinting, maybe lower the tint to RGB (190, 190, 190) to fit with the atmosphere and the color of the terrain, it looks bright right now. See to the color of the cattails and the shrubs you've placed and try to match their colors until complements/fit with the rest of your scene.
• The bones and skulls are not organized IMO, they need to be placed at the side instead of everywhere, it made the scene look messy because of that.
• If you want your terrain to be very detailed I suggest scaling the rocks at the sixth image 50% smaller, and then spread it all over the place so it will look natural, right now the rocks are quite big.
• You had a bad choice of trees (see the trunk is terrible, there are few alternatives in the UTM itself).

Things that you should take note
• Careful at spamming torches around, WC3 can't handle too much light sources.
• Tick "Use Click Helper" at the object editor when you use the Eerie Fog (I am not sure if this is already in the UTM, I haven't use it for a while).

I see this going at the right direction. Hopefully we'll see more of the screens from your work. :) Good job by the way.

Attachments

• EerieFog.mdx
    1.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
For a vanilla-textured resource that you have used, I'd say they all complement well (especially the interior, I like the interior).

However there are still things you can do, some areas needs to be fixed aswell.
• I am not sure if I like the glows, it looks good when viewed sideways but not when viewed with the default WC3 camera. I suggest using the Eerie Fog instead (see attachment). You should rather use the glows to the light sources instead (camp fires, torches etc.) and tint it to bright orange.
• You spammed too much carpets in the interior, you need to decrease the amount of those, you can scale few of those up instead of placing many.
• The grasses overlap with the walls (see sixth image), you may want to move them further from the walls.
• The grasses/seaweeds at the fifth image need some tinting, maybe lower the tint to RGB (190, 190, 190) to fit with the atmosphere and the color of the terrain, it looks bright right now. See to the color of the cattails and the shrubs you've placed and try to match their colors until complements/fit with the rest of your scene.
• The bones and skulls are not organized IMO, they need to be placed at the side instead of everywhere, it made the scene look messy because of that.
• If you want your terrain to be very detailed I suggest scaling the rocks at the sixth image 50% smaller, and then spread it all over the place so it will look natural, right now the rocks are quite big.
• You had a bad choice of trees (see the trunk is terrible, there are few alternatives in the UTM itself).

Things that you should take note
• Careful at spamming torches around, WC3 can't handle too much light sources.
• Tick "Use Click Helper" at the object editor when you use the Eerie Fog (I am not sure if this is already in the UTM, I haven't use it for a while).

I see this going at the right direction. Hopefully we'll see more of the screens from your work. :) Good job by the way.

Most of the changes were made, and took special consideration on the light source spamming. Check out if possible ^^

The interior (with the foods) is really good, I can't say much to it.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-29-13-png.329528/
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-25-4-png.329524/
• The outdoors still need some work though, the rocks (especially the smaller ones) are too spammed all over the place, you need to organize them, orcs may stumble on those things because of that.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-27-30-png.329526/
• Currently the fog is too thick, you may want to increase the fog-end more, you can barely see anything. I recommend setting the fog-start between 1-2000 and fog-end between 12000 to 16000. I'm not sure if it is also intentional to be always dark, is it fixed at night when played in-game? If no then you should make the fog lighter instead, you can still make it feel eerie by setting the fog to light-gray. The fog can be the best alternative to the fog-glows that you have removed.

• The grass is still too light for the environment. Tint it down, make the color similar to where it is placed (ground/tile color) to blend properly.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-18-47-png.329521/
• The interior is a mess here, the carpets are all over the place and too spammed. Rotate some of the ropes so that they will not look copy-pasted.

The interior (with the foods) is really good, I can't say much to it.

Thanks!

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-29-13-png.329528/
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-25-4-png.329524/
• The outdoors still need some work though, the rocks (especially the smaller ones) are too spammed all over the place, you need to organize them, orcs may stumble on those things because of that.

Will do!

• Currently the fog is too thick, you may want to increase the fog-end more, you can barely see anything. I recommend setting the fog-start between 1-2000 and fog-end between 12000 to 16000. I'm not sure if it is also intentional to be always dark, is it fixed at night when played in-game? If no then you should make the fog lighter instead, you can still make it feel eerie by setting the fog to light-gray. The fog can be the best alternative to the fog-glows that you have removed.

It is made to be at night... In fact, during daytime it will look differently due to a few triggers I have in mind for a long time, and manage to put it to the test even.

• The grass is still too light for the environment. Tint it down, make the color similar to where it is placed (ground/tile color) to blend properly.

I just can't find the right tinting... ;_;

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/upload_2019-8-4_22-18-47-png.329521/
• The interior is a mess here, the carpets are all over the place and too spammed. Rotate some of the ropes so that they will not look copy-pasted.

This time I used them as a leather flooring, but now that you mention it, it looks like I need to remake them, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.