• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story - Judge & Jury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
It's been a long time since I posted here but, although I haven't been very active here I've been writing. This was just a short exercise to warm up before writing other stuff, but I got hooked on the story and it ended up taking me a few more hours than planned :p

The urge to interrupt him before he had finished was overwhelming. Drops of sweat were pouring down his forehead and his jaw was hard and stiffened as if he was trying to break a bone with his teeth, like a dog, but Dave wasn't the dog in the room. At least not the only one. The dirty piece of shit lawyer he had for a cousin kept spewing words out of his mouth like last night's dinner. The stench of his mandatory first-morning-whisky choked Dave with every word. He closed his eyes and shut his mind off the court house just to stop himself from jumping onto his cousin and punching his false accusations back from where they came from.

As he was almost getting calmed, shutting that urge to violently object he could hear a faint breathing. It became louder and louder and he could feel it right next to him. And the louder it got the closer it felt. He could even feel the faint breese hit his neck and, as he opened his eyes and looked towards it, he saw his very own defending lawyer. Sleeping and snoring. All he needed was to see the Z's coming out of his mouth. This enraged him.

Enough relaxation, enough imagining a pretty place, now it was dark and bloody all the way! His lawyer was the cheapest there was and his cousing wanted him dead for the death of three women he never even met. A dark bussines the filthy lawyer took part in that had Dave as a scapegoat. He was, as they say, up to his neck, and he could see no way out of the inevitable death penalty. It already was game over for him.

He knew even before he entered the court that day. He already knew the night before, as he was having his last dinner with his cousin. With that piece of shit when it should have been with a priest, a man of faith that would forgive him for his sins, wether those where his or not; or with his caring girlfriend, who was asked to leave the room moments after he entered. She couldn't stop crying.

For such a special ocassion Dave smuggled something “special” the night after, engraved with the fancy restaurant's name where he had dinner not with a priest or his girlfriend. But he was smart, he wouldn't just jump out of his chair and stab the bastard in the throat. There's a saying he always forgot how to say right: “Revenge is served in a cold dish” or “Revenge is a plate cold served”. However, he knew exactly what it meant. He had to think clearly and keep his mind cool.

He took a deep and long breath. And then another one. How many he needed to stop the sweat drops from pouring down. He looked to his cousin first, setting his target. “That's who I have to kill”, he thought like sticking a price tag to a supermarket meal. “But”, he tought again, “I could make him confess”. The lawyer was a frail man and Dave was a marine in his best physical state. If he acted like a lunatic and put the knife to his cousin's throat then truth would spring like beautiful roses out of horse crap.

He looked to his right and left: six guards. All standing with their hands behind their backs; all looking at the man who couldn't shut his mouth. But Dave's eyes instantly stayed on the sixth one. The officer was looking at him, coldly staring into his eyes as if reading his mind. He had been watching him all this time? Dave couldn't feel anything but fear now. The guard knew his whole plan, down to every detail. He was doomed.

Dave looked away. The guard knew nothing, it was only his mind playing tricks on him. He was nervous and it was only that. It had to only be that, and the guard wouldn't risk shooting him if he took a hostage or he'd probably end up where he's sitting. The Judge's interrupted Dav'es train of thoughts, as he was calling him to sit on the witness stand. The perfect oportunity.

He got up, doing his best effort not to grin and laugh at how well his new plan was going. He put on his best poker face and walked towards the chair, ignoring his cousin who didn't even try to hide his own dark grin. The steps felt slow and loud as the court lied in silence. Time slowed down. He kept looking to the floor, reminding himself over and over of where he had hidden the knife and counting how many more steps he needed to reach his cousin. Trying to picture the scene from a wider view, re-analysing what he had scene. Like planning a military stealth assault.

It was It. The snake was but a meter away. It was game over for him. He was going to talk the moment he'd feel the cold steel pressing his throat, the moment he'd realise Dave had nothing to lose and was willing to kill him right there and then. He was certain the lawyer was enough of a coward to confess, even if he knew it also meant his death. Dave looked up and couldn't maintain his poker face as his eyes met with the lawyer's. Too dumb to forsee his plan. It was an akward instant where both where grinning to each other's face. And the dumbass kept smilling. Dave slyly reached to his knife in a way no-one would notice. But before he could even touch it the silence was broken by a shout from the crowd, “GUN!”.

Dave froze and looked to his right. He knew. Somehow he knew. Somehow he saw the knife behind his clothes. Somehow he read his movements. Somehow he read his mind. The sixth Guard was pointing his gun at Dave, staring at him like an eagle. The loud bang filled the room as the bullet tore through the the prisoner's shoulder. He did his best to getting shot in the chest. Everyone grabbed their heads in fear and the crowd screamed. The Judge gasped. The second shot was louder than the first and hit the right section of his abdomen. Nonetheless Dave reached the knife and grabbed the Snake. The cold steel that read “Le Saumon Fumé pressed as if biting the first few layers of skin. A bullet from behind whizzed past Dave's right ear, making his tumble and lose his balance but not enough to make him fall.

The court was in dead silence save from the sound of the lawyer's piss hitting the ground. “Guns down!!” Dave screamed. And all the guards hesisantly holstered, save one. The sixth Guard kept pointing at his head, he had him right between the two pieces of metal that made the gun's sight. “Put the fucking gun down!” Dave yelled again. Pressing the knife harder and saying with a lower tone, “And you. Speak! Confess!” The lawyer could only let a short girly cry come out. He was too scared and humilliated. He wanted to speak but he was to tense, too stiff, too busy asking for God's forgiveness in his mind. The guard moved forward a few steps before he was ordered to stop yet again.

The situation somehow reminded him of when he only shot paper targets back in police academy, about fifteen years before. The Guard was full of inocence back then, and that was something he always missed having. He became too ruthless over the years. He had to be more so than the crime gangs he chased and, in time brought down in several bloody shootouts. He didn't hesitate when he had to kill a young kid two years ago, why would he doubt killing a soldier accussed of triple homicide. A man who most likely lost it in the war, condecorated with medals for killing foreigners. He probably killed more kids a day than him in his entire police career. He gave a few, very short steps to shorten the distance without letting his target realise.

It was odd to Dave he was the only one trying to force the officer to holster the gun. There was the Judge and five more guards who could have authority over him, but somehow it came down to him, his cousin and the officer holding the gun. Dead silence again. It only made him nervous. The lawyer whispered with a frail voice, “You're fucked! I told you you were fucked!”. Dave pressed the knife and the Lawyer let another sharp scream. But he had more guts Dave ever imagined. “You'll have to kill me now, bitch! I'm not saying a fucking word!! You are a dead motherfucker!”. If he meant what he was saying, Dave's plan was in ruins. Now he was the one fearing for his life, a fear he clouded before with his suicide attitude but was always there. But snakes have snake tongues, and certainly this one was no different. Maybe he was trying to fool him into giving up just not to lose his life; a cunning snake afterall.

The guard was too close. “Stay the fuck away!!” shouted Dave. The lawyer let out a faint laughter that grew more and more louder, “You're fucked!!” repeated in between. The guard drew closer and closer with little steps and Dave kept yelling at the guard. The room became filled with both men's tense shouts and the lawyer's laughter, a macabre and bizarre scene. The most bizarre trial everyone there had ever seen. The guard kept his cool and reminded himself of the paper targets. He couldn't bring himself to shooting a kid in the head until the hostage's throat was split open. He could see in the marine's eyes the same look he saw in that kid. He never considered himself to be someone that trips with the same stone twice. And so he fired again.

The guard pulled the trigger and the bullet came out of the gun's cannon with a loud blast. The casket flew out of the gun spiraling to the right. The bullet drew a distance of 6.7 meters. It tore threw the air faster than the speed of sound. It broke the tension and gave an end to the situation. It became the judge and executor of that courtroom, the highest authority of all. And the Bullet said to Dave: “Dave, you are found guilty of triple murder, of holding an inocent man hostage in this very courtroom and resisting police authority. How do you pledge yourself?” Dave replied “Innocent, your honour” almost given to his dire fate. “It matters not. For my will is inevitable and unstoppable and hereby I declare you guilty as charged”. With those last words, the Bullet broke the skin and bone between Dave's eyes and passed through his brain out to the other side. Dave fell backwards with the Bullet's pushing force. But the cold Knife called the lawyer out: “Lawyer, you are found guilty of triple murder and treason to your family. How do you pledge yourself?.”

It's a text halfway between an exercise and a short story and this means I didn't pay much attention to making corrections and proper modifications. It was more of a relaxation exercise to pump some creativity but I'd love you to leave some comments and critiques!

Status
Not open for further replies.