1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Short Story Contest #9 - Lore

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by GunSlinger, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, exactly, that was sort of part of the challenge.

Regardless, as I stated: Do tell if you've got suggestions
    for different themes.

2. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    And a theme limitation would be nice else people will have very distinct themes which will be impossible to compare.

Im not sure about what theme would be better tho

3. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm down for this theme, either to enter or judge.

4. Silva

Silva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is this waiting for judges or is it never starting in the first place ?
    anybody know ?
    Also I think that 10k words seem like a good limit to explain the theme.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I have given it thought, and I am more and more convinced that "Lore" is a poor Theme; not for the reasons stated above, but primarily due to its redundance.

Every story should be creating something 'new'; new story, new characters, new locales, new magicks, new "lore". To me, this Theme is like saying "Short Story Contest: Write a short story using words on a digital medium that convey an idea".

A Theme can be quite simple and can be thrown together quickly; we could have little mini "NaNoWriMo's" of a sort with some frequency here, I think. For the sake of simplicity, we can just borrow from MtG's rich thematic core (the "color pie") for a good 5 Contests.

e.g. Let's just do, say, "Mountain: Write a story in which a mountain plays a prominent role". Right off the top of my head, there's a half-dozen story ideas; a dwarven mountain city during a civil war, a village at the base of an active volcano (~mountain), a touching and intimate story of a family of goats living on a mountain-side, the escapades of a monstrous mountain-sized rock golem, a squad of colorful ponies seeking to oust a mountain-dwelling dragon, a monk seeking enlightenment at the top of a mountain, a farmer literally making a mountain out of a molehill... Etc. Bam, new Contest.

Following that, the concepts of Swamp, Island, Forest, and Plains are all plethorically-rich story-telling veins to tap. This doesn't have to be hard.

6. Silva

Silva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Neat. I'm down for it. :ogre_datass:

7. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I could be into that.

8. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This "theme" actually, Lore, happens in all stories whatsoever the content is. It's not versatile theme to go with, and it's not quite something that you can actually kinda predict the results from. I agree for the new theme. The "Create a story around the specific center object" seems fun tho.

9. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How about "Ancient Architecture"?

Though, personally, I'd love something a little more multi-dimensional, such as a
    one word description contest like, say, "Deep": Where some could interpret it as
    writing a story set "deep" beneath the crust of the surface, some would write a
    "deep story", or maybe even write a story that is continuously descending, be
    that physically or mentally. Something that encourages creativity in way of
    directing creative thoughts.

10. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shouldn't we get a theme discussion up, and a poll afterwards?

11. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Involving a certain object, setting or trait I think is a good idea; however, I'd like to see various of those types of ideas we can vote on.

12. WerBackIII

WerBackIII

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    May I voice my opinion that the contest theme, as it is, is great? Short story contest rules are usually similar to this—the theme isn't too restricting, outside of some minor cases; it just provides a framework for the author to work upon.

13. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I didn't honestly think I had to, but...

Please continue the conversation here.