• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest # 8: Knife-edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

knife-attack.jpg

Knife-Edge
Contestants are required to write a short story based around a character 'on thin ice'. A tension featured through-out the work, which must come full circle by the end of the work. Cliffhangers suggested ;) The story must be written in the vein of Realistic Literary Fiction; ...The term is principally used to distinguish "serious fiction" which is a work that claims to hold literary merit, in comparison from genre fiction and popular fiction (i.e., paraliterature). In broad terms, literary fiction focuses more upon style, psychological depth, and character. This is in contrast to Mainstream commercial fiction, which focuses more on narrative and plot. Literary fiction may also be characterized as lasting fiction — literature which continues to be read and in-demand many decades and perhaps centuries after the author has died.' There are no constraints on the time-period of the story. [][]
(Note that the next theme will be a fantasy theme if this one is accepted.)

On a further note about 'knife-edge': the theme is rather loose, contestants are only required to include a tension or balance featured through out the story that must find break in one way or another. Besides this tension and breaking, nothing else is constrained. (other than the genre)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• The entry must be a minimum of 3,000 words and a maximum of 12,000
  • The entry must be a work of Realistic Literary Fiction, and abide by the theme.
  • No plagiarism will be accepted. Period.
  • All entries must be written in fluent English, illegible entries will be disqualified.
  • At least one WIP (Work In Progress) must be presented before the deadline.
  • The entry must abide by the theme.
  • The story may NOT be derived from preexisting works of literature/art by any author, including yourself.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Available slot!
  • Available slot!
  • Available slot!
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Characterization
The depth and psychology of your characters./25

Theme
How well you followed the theme./25

Flow & Pacing
The writer's ability to pace appropriately./15

Creativity & Originality
The ability of the writer to spin his characters in a new light./15

Eloquence
The beauty, efficiency, and function of the writers paragraphs and grammar/20
  • 80 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 20 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on When it Begins and conclude on 40 Days after it starts, GMT
  • There will only be ONE extension possible and the maximum duration of this will be 10 days.
  • The contest will only conclude and if there are a minimum of 3 completed entries. If there are not, then the contest will be extended.

Last edited:
Level 12
I'm still a tad bit confused about the theme.

So knife-edge generally speaks about the psychology (from what I understand, that's it so far. Correct me if I'm wrong) Or of what the character is going through?

Like a first person story about about a woman being hunted down in her own house by a serial killer? Does that define Knife-edge?

If someone could clarify this for me then I might give it a shot.

Level 16
On a further note about 'knife-edge': the theme is rather loose, contestants are only required to include a tension or balance featured through out the story that must find break in one way or another. Besides this tension and breaking, nothing else is constrained. (other than the genre)

And the genre is Literary Realistic Fiction? Meaning the story is invented, but it's written in an artful way and it's realistic (so, no fantastic/marvelous/science-fiction)?

Level 11
So to see if i understand, we must make a story which is tense and ,,breath taking" let's say in a time and world the same like ours(realistic fiction if i am right) but which will focus more on the characters, put the reader into deep thinking, with psychological depth and so on, rather than narrating actions or plot...am i right?

Edit:Oh and i forgot...Real characters :))

Realistic is not about time or place, its something that COULD be, or was, but happened differently, it doesn't have to be absolutely historical.

Your story could be about some medieval peasant in wales who did something. he didn't exist, but he COULD have, it wouldn't have been fantasy or 'unreal' for that to happen.

You COULD write about someone in modern day who did something, he doesn't exist, but his being wouldn't be impossible or crazy.

Level 11
I mean, by a time and world like ours, the world we are living in, not azeroth for example :))

But thanks for telling me :))
I still can't wait for the contest to begin :)

I already have an idea on this, but i have to work on it :D

Level 17
Why couldn't you pick a theme that everyone understands easily?
:/

Anyhow I shall keep a nice watch on this thread to view the entries.

Why couldn't you pick a theme that everyone understands easily?
:/

Anyhow I shall keep a nice watch on this thread to view the entries.

Every contest thread has people asking about the parameters, and most people understood it just fine.

Science Fiction 'COULD BE' - But I get a feeling that isn't allowed?

Depends, don't be too outlandish. Points off if its too outlandish, being like 25 years in the future would be fine as long as you didn't go crazy.

Level 5
We should totally do that, instead. Have the entries given to a single person, strip them of the author names, and then have people rate them without knowing who they belong to. Of course, the people would only know which one was theirs.

On second thought, I might actually join this one. Or be a judge.

Realistic fiction is fiction that can or could take place in the real world. One of my favorite genres.

Literary fiction is where the character drives the plot. The writer effectively has no control over where the character goes. The character comes across events or makes them themselves, instead of events that the writer writes coming to the character.

By the way, if contestants want to do their best, I suggest doing some serious research. The wiki link on the first page provides these:

A Guide to Literary Fiction
Character in a Literary Fictional Story
How to Create Literary Fiction

Maybe that is because those members are not good writers?

Trax. is a bitch, but in this case he is kinda right.

But one more thing, is that some people's writing styles are so different than others, that it'll still be obvious who wrote what.

And with only 20% decided by vote, and a large pool of judges, I don't see a problem.

I mean still, we have to pick judges correctly.

Level 22
Erm, psychological thriller, that's tough to write. I will definitely enter if I have time though.

TWIF?

Also, why has there never been a paired-writing contest?

One last thing, in the words of Dentothor, <<(Subscribzors)>>

Last edited:
Level 22
There has been one before.
And I highly doubt a thriller would get rated well. Its not really literary fiction.

Well, you described it as ending in a climax, and the main aspect of the story should be psychology, which in my estimation, is a psychological thriller, or a very dramatic story in the least.

I do see your point though.

When is it expected to start?

Dramatic, yes, thriller? probably no. its mostly about characterization. Very psychological yes, very strong characters are suggested.

I don't know, as soon as enough people show interest in the idea.

you guys can always come up with a new idea, I just came out with this one as a showcase. The best argument is a well reasoned one.

Status
Not open for further replies.