• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #9 Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
It's been awhile since we had a short story contest and just to get the ball rolling. Here are some ideas I had in mind.

• A Curious Case: Writers are to depict an unusual or unexpected event that occurred. It can be fictional or simply retelling a past tale.
  • Macabre Classics: Contestents are required to twist any classic fairy tale of their choice into a grim somber version whilst keeping with the classic fairy tale elements.
  • Story Noir: Writers must come up with a story that clearly displays noir-like elements. However, the story simply doesn't have to be all about sex drugs and the mafia, it can also be a simple tale but retold in a sort of "incognito" way.
  • Tales of Azeroth: Participants must come up with a story that shows an event set in Azeroth, or the Universe of Warcraft. The story can either be fictional or a retelling of events but must be set in the Warcraft Universe.
  • Surrealism: Contestants are required to create and weave a fictional surrealistic world using pen and paper through the eyes of another. The world can simply be a strange new land through the eyes of a foreigner, or as surreal as Alice in Wonderland.

Thoughts, ideas?

Level 14
Im not clear about the themes used before, but the idea I'd like to share is:
Finish a base story. Everyone have a base story, and contestants have to create an unexpectable ending for it.

It may not be a good idea for the contest, I found it interesting, so I shared it.

Level 17
I don't want any of that 'knife-edge' stuff we had last time, or anything similar to it. It was too confusing.

Level 12
Writing lore would be more of a "documentation" rather than a short story, unless you can show the world through something like through the eyes of another.

And yeah, nobody understood that knife-edge stuff.

Giving a pre-set scenario would probably give an unfair advantage to others. Unless you generalize it enough before letting it become to vague.

Really guys, let's drift away from that swords, guns and mythical creatures kind of thing. I was thinking more peculiar events set in the 1930's. Don't really know what to call it, but very akin to most of Roald Dahl's short stories.

Level 12
Really? Nobody is interested?

Just in case this does get approved, might as well mention it. I suggest submitting anonymously, with only the names of the writer available to the Host and the Judge. And the names of the writers will not be shown on the poll, instead only their story names. This is to prevent anyone from judging biasly or voting based on the users themselves instead of the story itself. I believe this method was mentioned by Apheraz Lucent? WIPs will also be hidden from the users.

Level 20
I judged one... Was it #8? or #7? I think it may have been the one before Knife-Edge (I said that theme was bad, right from the start), in which case I'm not elgible to be a judge, I'm sure it says somewhere you can't have judged the last contest.

If we can ignore that or if it was the one before it, I'll happily judge again.

Level 12
What exactly do you mean by "Macabre Classics"? Do we have to rewrite a good old classic fairytale in a macabre way? :)

That, in a nutshell. Just select any classic fairy tale (eg. Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Pinocchio etc.) and twist it to give it a dark somber sort of storyline, while retaining the main qualities of the fairy tale itself.

Level 30
Don't mind the silly number.
Oh, and +1 For Macabre Classic.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...3/short-story-contest-1-confrontation-209051/
I suggest submitting anonymously, with only the names of the writer available to the Host and the Judge. And the names of the writers will not be shown on the poll, instead only their story names. This is to prevent anyone from judging biasly or voting based on the users themselves instead of the story itself. I believe this method was mentioned by Apheraz Lucent? WIPs will also be hidden from the users.
It was my early idea, but since judges hold usually around 70% of total score, those 1-5 points for pool can be tolerated, even with bias.

Level 30
The contest can be executed: there's no point in waiting for judges to start it, as the judges can be found (or they will appear) during the process of submission/poll.

However, keep in mind the "Frozen Arena" event, which will also affect the newly executed contests and can block you from finishing it.

If I'm not participating, I'm joining as a judge.
Have you decided who do you want as a contest host?

Status
Not open for further replies.