• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Well... It's complicated.
Say for e.g. in a modelling contest.

If there was no theme and someone made a box, yes a plain old doodad box and someone else made a pretty fail unit model of some kind.

Whose is better? A HQ box - isn't hard to make. But then a poor unit model, is well poor.
It's really, really hard to compare and judge them comparatively.

If two people made a box, it's easy enough to say: There box is better!

A theme keeps everything in perspective :)

Level 8
that might be so whit modelling, but writing is entirely different,a d so are the criteria on what they judge your work. (grammar etc...) in writing it's also probably more fun to judge no themed contests as, every story is entirely different that way.

Level 3
That might be true, however, I, personally, am of the preference to take a set foundation and develop it into a work. I want to see what I can make by being restricted, and then bend those restrictions to make my own work. I want to join this short story contest to try making a story within set boundaries, and then compare it to what other people have written while they are being restricted by the same boundaries as mine.

Level 27
that might be so whit modelling, but writing is entirely different,a d so are the criteria on what they judge your work. (grammar etc...) in writing it's also probably more fun to judge no themed contests as, every story is entirely different that way.

Well, if one contestant writes a horror story that is meant to be scary, and another contestant writes a love story that is meant to make you cry and laugh, how do we determine which one is best?

Level 3
I disagree. I, a non-native English user, prefer that grammar and spelling should also be a priority. If you want to write a story in English, then you should use proper spelling and grammar. Just my two-cents.

Level 18
+1 to that.

If everiebodie most reed a storie laik dis, it is not very komfortabol to reed, is it naow?

I know it's an exaggerated example, but you know what I mean. Bad grammar ruins the readability of a story. To give you a realistic example: how annoying is it if somebody mixes up all there, their and they're words? It would be a nuisance to read!

Wow this thread is dead..................................... Just like my projects :D

Maybe we should add 2 options, it can either be first or third person view, cuz you know, maybe we should give the contestants a bit more freedom this time.
As for the theme, well I'm ok with it, but not everyone likes it apparently.
So I say, those who want the theme Space Opera, post below this comment and confirm it and those who don't want that theme and have a better idea, post a comment below this comment as well, but with their idea.

Also, I'd love to judge this contest.

Level 6
I'll definitely participate, I like sci-fi themes, not my strongest area but i'll give it a go :)

Last edited:
Level 17
Considering that the prizes from the last one still havent been handed out, it's not that hard to beleive. :p

Speaking of which, I was just recently poking Pyritie about it and he said if anyone has a good image for the award icons then just send them his way.

Level 18
I don't know how you came up with a phrase "while it's still summer" in the current situation, because I've got exams next week and I'm sure there are plenty of others who have theirs in the upcoming weeks.

Besides, it's not even certain if it's going to be WC3/SC2 only or both allowed and I don't know who counted the potential participants, but I doubt it'll be a lot. Especially since it's been a few weeks since people said they would or wouldn't participate, a.k.a. a dying thread. So it would probably be best to discuss which games may be used while people are finishing this semester and once that's done, we can check if there are enough people still willing to participate with those rules (if those rules are restricting).

Level 8
what games? This is a writing contest my friend, limiting it to a certain game would be bad, very bad in my opinion.

Level 8
no problem. anyhow, as Drag said. before the rewards of the previous contest are finally made and given away I see a low chance of this getting started.

Level 7
@Phoonix, the rewards were given out yesterday.
@VengeanceaKael Really? I thought everyone was done with the exams, like back in May.
Well, if a majority of people are still working towards exams though then yeah you're right.

Level 27
I had to 'inform' pyritie of the last contest's being-stuckness THREE TIMES, so it would be nice if someone else did it this time around.

Imean, honestly. I've been having my 'Ironbound Angel' story developing in my head for ages now and i was tempted to write it outside of the contest 'cause i thought this thing wasnt getting anywhere. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.