• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short rant / tutorial about about spelling / use of apostrophes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a function in programming is no longer deemed fit to use it is not "depreciated" (DEE-PREE-SHEE-ATE-ID). It's "deprecated" (DEP-RIC-ATE-ID). That "i" shouldn't be there! It turns it into a completely different word. So, please, spell/system/jass moderators, don't ever tell anyone again that a function they have used is "depreciated". If "depreciated" was even a word it would mean "not appreciated" or something...

Now, apostrophes... don't get me started...
  • Plurals are not formed with an apostrophe and an "s". Apostrophe-"s" denotes belonging (the dog's bone).
  • OK, now I'm going to have to list word endings and how you make them plural...
    • "y" endings become "ies" Fly becomes flies
    • For anything that ends with "x", "j", "s", or anything with the same sound, add "es".
    • Acronyms are a bit tricky. Personally, I think "WMA" should become "WMAs", not "WMA's", but it doesn't really matter either way.
    • For anything else, except irregular stuff like child -> children, just add an "s". No apostrophe. OK?
  • You DO need the apostrophe in shortened words. "dont" isn't a word. It's "don't"! Same for "you're", "we're", "they're", "I'd", "you'd", "won't", "can't"... the list goes on...

I fucking hate it when I see, all over the forums, people saying "youre such a noob, you use depreciated function's and BJ's when you should use the native's!", or similar shit. Please, read this, and go back and correct everything you've ever posted so the forums aren't full of unreadable, annoying crap.

Thank you.

Level 15
i like to use commas and correct punctuation, spelling, etc (except capitalisation, it's just too much). too, but there's an exception for people who don't know enough english. it won't stop just because you ask them to, but i understand your need to vent, don't get too upset about it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I've got to agree.. it's so much easier and comfortable reading proper English (especially for me, because I'm not accustomed enough to English to understand typos and slang), spelled and formatted correctly. Though it's wrong of me to complain about others, when I'm far from perfect myself, and English isn't even my native language, it's my third. What I don't understand though, is that people who have English as their primary or secondary language can't spell. You're surrounded by your language, but you ignore everything? I can forgive people who have mental problems with language, but normal people should be able to write properly. It might take less time to write shorter words, like "u" instead of "you" .. but it takes longer for people to read it, at least people that don't use it themselves. Whenever I stumble upon a "u" I try to find out where it belongs, what word is missing that letter, was it intended to be an "I" .. a lot of possibilities.. "you" doesn't come to my mind instantly. Reading "your" when it's supposed to be "you're" is also an annoyance, and breaks the flow when reading.. the human mind is excellent at detecting mistakes, but not at automatically solving them.

Speaking of which, it's easier to read a word that is completely randomised within, but with the correct letters, than there is to read one where one letter is missing.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe

Now try it like this:
Accoring to a reserch at a englis uniersity, it dont mater in wat oder teh leters in a wrd r, teh ony importent ting is dat fist an last lettr is at d rite place. Blah blah..

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I've heard that as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place you can change the letters within or move them around and still have little trouble reading it.

Anyways this isn't the first Rant about the spelling/grammar of people on this site, be it moderators, normal users or narutards, and it definitely won't be the last. Unfortunately I don't think this tirade is going to evoke any change.

Actually I've heard that as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place you can change the letters within or move them around and still have little trouble reading it.

Anyways this isn't the first Rant about the spelling/grammar of people on this site, be it moderators, normal users or narutards, and it definitely won't be the last. Unfortunately I don't think this tirade is going to evoke any change.
shiiK said:
Speaking of which, it's easier to read a word that is completely randomised within, but with the correct letters, than there is to read one where one letter is missing.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe
Yeah...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Assuming the role of teacher are we.. heh, Hive's personal English teacher.. next thing you see is people from the Hive getting all As in English.

Some people that are really new to the language often forget prepositions
Things like "in", "out", "on", "over", etc? I haven't seen any problems with these that I remember...
Assuming the role of teacher are we.. heh, Hive's personal English teacher.. next thing you see is people from the Hive getting all As in English.
Haha. I'd prefer A*s.
This isn't a Roleplay site, but its fine to have some grammar sometimes, but I believe you could add more to this. :p
He didn't mean it like that...

Level 13
[*] Plurals are not formed with an apostrophe and an "s". Apostrophe-"s" denotes belonging (the dog's bone).

[*] For anything that ends with "x", "j", "s", or anything with the same sound, add "es".

1: You probably just made a bunch of idiots think that if a dog owned a bone, it'd be it's bone. Edit and explain it more thoroughly.

2: Succubus > succubi, not succubuses. ^_^

Level 3
Theres always going to be an exception to the rule, that's what makes English so confusing to people who normally speak other languages - in languages like Spanish everything is pretty definite

All Latin words (which end with -us) should have their plural with -i. It's not really an exception, but the usage of a different language.. and you shouldn't adjust that one language to the other :p

There's even an equal example in Spanish: All Greek words are male, despite to the fact that they end with -a (which normally indicates that they're female). E.g. el tema, el problema.

To topic: It's a nice idea. It seems like apostrophes are generally hard to comprehend. Here in Germany everyone seems to mix the English spelling up with the German one.. the results may be quite funny at first but with no end in sight it gets rather frustrating and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.