• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Shop wars II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello Hivers,

My first post after long inactivity, I'm now back in the world of warcraft.
First thing after roaming around the forums for while was starting my project.

Kingdom Wars

Kingdom wars is a type of game that I developed myself, though shop wars I suffered from very bad level design and balancing this one shall be much better.
The Idea is to create a persistent world with villages, cities, fortresses and dungeons scattered around the world. each player will try to achieve his goal, which can change while the game progresses. When I goal is reached new ones will be generated. Players do not start with a hero, they can earn one during the game.

I'm a fan of procedural generation, so expect a considerable amount of content to be procedural: Items, quest, certain units, conversations, side quests. only procedural creation of the terrain proved difficult in warcraft, might be something for kingdom wars II :wink:

Every race will have their own benefits, races are not restricted to the teams. If you want to be an alliance or, suit yourself. or Chaos humans, suit yourself. In fact, being a chaos human gives you a different appearance than being an alliance one.

Villages will be persisted and capture able, the villages will change appearance slightly to fit its owner race and faction. Villages will be highly customizable in terms of, building construction on predefined building spots, upgrading buildings, set up village defence governed by AI (tower, units), trading between villages, earning taxes from inhabitants ect. ect. (a full list of features will be added shortly).

There will be a campaign resource Orbs
The amount will be saved upon leaving/saving, the next time the map is played the amount of Orbs is loaded and the player can do various things with it before the game starts, like:
-Buy a starting hero.
-Buy gold with Orbs to gain starting cash.
-Buy starting items for your hero

after alpha release I will run updated polls to see what the community would like to see added, and to fix any bugs.

Game features: (list is still incomplete)
-Two teams alliance and chaos
-persistend villages, capturable, upgradable
-Different races: Humans, elves, dwarfs, undead, orcs, dark elves
-Strong AI: Can play a faction, can run a village (defence & mining)
-Vast and beautifull terrain, 2 continents, 6 different environments
-procedural content: quests, items, units
-Never ending story line
-Save/load system

Status => Pre Alpha
The aim:
week 20: Create land masses, seas, mountain, terrain layout, rivers, weather effects
week 21: Create All units and buildings, balance them and create structure upgrade trees / add humans
week 22: place all the villages, dungeons and roads
week 23: place all the trees, decorations, enchant the terrain
week 24: Alpha release 0.1 (people can walk through the terrain)
and a simple procedural assasination quest to play around in the
alpha release map.
week 25: create income systems, trade, mining and tax
week 26: create capture town system

Implement human race
Implement Elven race
Implement Dwarven race
Implement Orcish race
Implement Undead race
Implement Dark elves
Place Cities, villages, dungeons
Decorate terrain

Tax system
Mining System
Capture Town System
Orb gain System
Save/Load system

Quest Algorithms
Unit Algorithms
Item Algorithms

Humanlike AI Based on yes/No decisionmaking
Selflearning AI who changes tactic accordingly.

Human background story
Elf Background story
Dwarf Background story
Orc Background story
Undead Background story
Dark Elf Background story
Quests
Legend
Events
History of the world
Possible to gain from community members imput.

Create loading screen
hints of the day
Newbie tutorial

HappyTauren - Revised footman model

Last edited:
Level 30
Hello Hivers,

My first post after long inactivity, I'm now back in the world of warcraft.
First thing after roaming around the forums for while was starting my project.

Shop wars II

Shop wars is a type of game that I developed myself, though shop wars I suffered from very bad level design and balancing this one shall be much better.
The Idea is to create a persistent world with villages, cities, fortresses and dungeons scattered around it. Each player will earn his hero or dies trying, after you obtained your hero the game really starts. The players are split up in two teams, alliance and chaos, both have a global objective. The global objective is reached by completing a series of quest/objectives, who will be procedurally generated.

I'm a fan of procedural generation, so expect a considerable amount of content to be procedural: Items, quest, certain units, conversations, side quests. only procedural creation of the terrain proved difficult in warcraft, might be something for Shop wars III :wink:

Every race will have their own benefits, races are not restricted to the teams. If you want to be an alliance or, suit yourself. or Chaos humans, suit yourself. In fact, being a chaos human gives you a different appearance than being an alliance one.

Villages will be persisted and capture able, the villages will change appearance slightly to fit its owner race and faction. Villages will be highly customizable in terms of, building construction on predefined building spots, upgrading buildings, set up village defence governed by AI (tower, units), trading between villages, earning taxes from inhabitants ect. ect. (a full list of features will be added shortly).

after alpha release I will run updated polls to see what the community like to be added, and to fix any bugs.

The game has quite a good mechanics but what I dont understand is why is it called Shop Wars II? Shop? Why?

Also some suggestion, add some screenshots showing the game so the thread will look better and also use some BB Codes. ANd explain more about your game. Dont forget the Credits List. Good luck!

+3 REP

Level 6
The game has quite a good mechanics but what I dont understand is why is it called Shop Wars II? Shop? Why?

Also some suggestion, add some screenshots showing the game so the thread will look better and also use some BB Codes. ANd explain more about your game. Dont forget the Credits List. Good luck!

Shop wars comes from "shop wars I" where the buildings where you could "buy units" were located in captured towns, the towns were like "shops" where you could buy all your assets

ok, this is my first thread in years here "finally:grin:" BB codes?

screenshots will be added shortly, hopefully today :thumbs_up:
just hang in there for a sec :wink:

Level 30
Shop wars comes from "shop wars I" where the buildings where you could "buy units" were located in captured towns, the towns were like "shops" where you could buy all your assets

ok, this is my first thread in years here "finally:grin:" BB codes?

screenshots will be added shortly, hopefully today :thumbs_up:
just hang in there for a sec :wink:

Here is a list of BB Codes: Click!

Mostly you will find use at Hidden tags!

Level 6
Development update 1

Development update 1

I am rocking hard with mountains to start with, created the sea and land masses. After that I defined the layout of the cultural differences and difference in terrain.
Created the shores => the mountains => and the rivers
And I must say, It was a lot of work. to this point there is no single object in the game, only pathing and vision blockers

doodad count: 7485 :eekani:

but the results are astonishing, and I even squeezed in so time to work out and implement the weather effect of the different regions.

Take a look yourself

2ZFxdrS.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
g2HATxU.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dCk39dD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
M1Jpvd5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
TkM9u9t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, its just a lot of rock now, next point on the agenda is creating all the units and building which will be in the game, so next dev update will probably have no images to show.

Last edited:
Level 6
Shop Wars sounds like a thoroughly confusing name. The idea itself sounds very interesting, well developed and hopefully will be fully realized in the final product. The name, though... I don't get it. How did this name come to be?

Dont't know, judt so happened to be in shop war I
But I can change the name if it is really that confusing :xxd:
If you have any suggestions, just let me know

Level 3
This sounds like an awesome project. I will check it out when it is finished.

One thing though: Why are there some cubes with purple checkerboard patterns in one of the screenshots?

Level 30
This sounds like an awesome project. I will check it out when it is finished.

One thing though: Why are there some cubes with purple checkerboard patterns in one of the screenshots?

Those pruple cubes are Line of Sight Blockers. It is used so range enemies cannot attack other enemies within that point.

@stick
The terrain WiP looks good but you should maybe smoothen some spike raised ground as they looks bad. Also, I cant wait for the result when doodads and destructibles are putted and Wazzz is right. You should change the game's name as far as I cn see it has no relation on whts with the inside of the game.

Level 6
Development update 2

Development Update 2

So last week I sat down in a dark dark room, trying to overcome a dark dark problem. Having only a goose feather and papyrus, don't forget the dim light from the candle next to me. And had my way with balancing and and creating the human civilization according to this balancing table, did a lot of nasty stuff with factors to decided that:

valueB = valueA + (valueA * 0.59)

0.59:eekani:??????? yes 0.59, definitely not 0.6

as you can see, this is dirty stuff. I didn't touched the editor until sunday, after I had all the units and buildings of the human civilization on paper. On sunday I went to my shrine and booted up that baby, started up the editor and injected all the human units and buildings into the "world of ????" (name input here). which brings me to the second point, what will be a nice name for this world....? I can't seem to come up with a proper name, only numerical combinations :eekani:

SO IF ANYONE KNOWS A COOL NAME JUST LET ME KNOW,
ALSO HAVE A LOOK AT MY EDITED FIRST POST.

Level 6
Development update 3

Another fruitful week. I added some pictures about the villages (the flags are possible building spots where the player can construct buildings). This is only the human kingdom, the only walk able kingdom in the alpha 0.1.
Other area's will be unlocked along the way.

Note: there is no decoration yet, so that means no decorations in the villages as well (houses ect.)
Note: the fourth picture has walls with building spots in between (towers), it looks a bit weird and is possibly subject to change.

The thing that excites me most is the implementation of procedural unit generation, NAILED IT? Yes I have. the algorithm works as follow:

Which location of the spawn point, select spawn-point model from database.
choose unit model =>01 civilized / 02 uncivilized.
Civilized models have different name database then uncivilized.
civilized units have a faction they belong to.
name is random name from database (keeping in mind civ/unciv)
faction name A is random generated from database (keeping in mind civ/unciv)
faction name B is random generated from database (keeping in mind civ/unciv)
faction name A + faction name B + random unit name = unit name
example: Dark eye bandit / scarred hearts outlaws
health is determined by => random number between 4-10x3. when the spawn point is destroyed a new one will appear, units health and damage are increased by a factor 1.59
after certain conditions are met the unit will gain another name attachment and different loot drops. example: strong Dark eye bandit
name of the spawn point is : unit name + spawn point
example: dark eye bandit spawn point.
all unit type data is stored in an in game database, maybe gamecashe (haven't decided yet)

And it works pretty awesome, have ran into some pretty amazing weird enemies, who are never the same. And their strength is a random factor at first but changes as the game progresses. After continuously destroying their spawn point I was fighting some extremely powerful adversaries. even though the AI is pretty stupid atm.

Looking forward for next week, adding some decoration will surely do the terrain some good... a real graphics week. :grin:

ps: the up and down arrow keys changes the camera height by 500

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.