• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shoot & Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ability which auto-casts and works properly except for one thing: I want to make it so it can be casted while moving, at any unit 135 degrees in front of the moving unit, making the upper-body of the marine face the direction he's shooting.

Like a Diamondback except the upper-half of the marine is the "turret" and the turret can't shoot 360 degrees around itself.

Right now I have the animation play and at a given duration & timescale and I intend to do the muzzle flash and sound through script btw though I don't think that'll be a problem with what I want to do here.

There should be a value somewhere you can edit which allows the ability to be cast while in motion.

Kind of like how a void ray can move, but is slowed, while attacking.

I realize the void ray thing is a weapon but I can't really see how there is much of a difference; I imagine it has the same value.

The other option is that the ability becomes an instant cast and all effects are done through triggers instead of relying on the unit to actually process it.

The only downside that I can forsee is if the unit is killed mid-ability the ability will still fire.

When set to transient, the marine can attack while running. There are three problems here though:
1. The marine only attacks while running when the command to move was given via script, right-clicking or having your guy move with hotkey M doesn't work, he just doesn't auto-cast. So essentially only the AI will attack while moving.
2. The marine can shoot 360 degrees around him... it is not limited to just what is in front and to the sides of him.
3. The marine does not change the direction he faces when he casts the ability and the ability is transient.​

I tried to use this to make him turn his upper-body but it has no discernable effect what-so-ever.
JASS:
ActorLookAtStart(lv_actor, "Chest", 100, 0.25, libNtve_gf_LookAtTargetFromPointWithZOffset(lv_ptB, 0.5));

I tried to use this to make him turn his upper-body but it has no discernable effect what-so-ever.
JASS:
ActorLookAtStart(lv_actor, "Chest", 100, 0.25, libNtve_gf_LookAtTargetFromPointWithZOffset(lv_ptB, 0.5));

Sounds to me like the Marine doesn't have the animation supported to turn his upper body.

As for not being able to use M I've had similar issues.

I doubt there's a fix.

Sounds to me like the Marine doesn't have the animation supported to turn his upper body.

As for not being able to use M I've had similar issues.

I doubt there's a fix.
I don't think forcing an actor to turn towards a point is an animation... I may require a custom model though and I don't know how to model nor where to acquire models.

Status
Not open for further replies.