• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

"Shameless ripoff games"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The League of Angels team are spending money on ads, that's no fan game for fun, that's business.
And even if it was a fan game - it would be against copy right laws. (just look at the new pokemon (uranium?) game that got removed after 1 million downloads)

I do not know enough about the chinese Overwatch ripoff, but I do know that China gives zero fucks about copyright laws.

Level 20
Surprised you had no knowlege on LoAII those fuckers have been spaming ads and even sponsored youtubers to play it for them...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Imho, the ultimate example of plagiarism in video games is Limbo of the Lost

Backgrounds
Video
Audio
Menus
Models
Items
Concept Art
Amiga Prototype
Text

For French readers
Limbo of the Lost ou l’énorme plagiat
Les plagiats dans les jeux vidéo
(broader examples of plagiarism in video games - possibly nsfw here and there)

While I am at it, I also point out Advanced Civilization (1996) rips 2 seconds from Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings (1978). Please see attachment (no audio, should play in MPC-HC)

Please jump at 0:55 for comparisons

Attachments

• advanced civilization - lotr bakshi.7z
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

Well, If they want to make a game they should really start something from scratch and made from their Bloody hands, Not copying fucking good games just to earn some Shitty money.. It sounds like you're selling China stuff in a Black market in Manila's Flea markets.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
(more or less OT, but hey!)

World Joyland is a theme park located in Changzhou (People's Republic of China). The park's theme is inspired by WoW and StarCraft. It opened in May 2011.

Pics and comparisons:
Inside China's Unauthorized "World Of Warcraft" Theme Park
Gallery Of China's Bootleg World Of Warcraft Theme Park

About the theme park itself:
Joyland: China's 'Disneyland' for the digital era | CNN Travel

** update **

Even more examples of plagiarism in video games:
Hardcore Gaming 101: Tracing the Influence

*Lots* of well-organized pics - possibly nsfw here and there too

Last edited:
Level 28
Rip of games show that people lack imagination lol. It is one thing to steal vague ideas or design decisions. It is another to out right try to steal a game.

Well, If they want to make a game they should really start something from scratch and made from their Bloody hands, Not copying fucking good games just to earn some Shitty money

I once talked to a guy who does kind of rip-off games for mobiles. He told me that of course it is cooler to design something 100% original, as you'll have your own ideas going on and all, but you tend to get small to no attention (at least in mobile the game market, so he said), and a plagiarized game will benefit from the advertising/marketing of the original and more famous game. So it seems people do that not due to lack of imagination, it is because it actually sells better than original ideas. (who buys this kind of plagiraized stuff anyway?)

Surprised you had no knowlege on LoAII those fuckers have been spaming ads and even sponsored youtubers to play it for them...

Indeed, they appear all over facebook and youtube advertising! However I never clicked their ads and I didn't know about the WoW rip-offs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.