• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Setting model to BLANK ('.mdl') -- Does it cause issues?

Level 10
Hello again.
If I set a unit's model to a mere ".mdl" by Shift-Clicking the model field in OE, will it cause any unforeseen consequences? What I noticed is that the unit becomes unselectable, even without locust, which could be handy, and it can still be damaged by Area Damage ("Attack Ground" of siege units).
I hope this does not cause multiplayer crashes or anything (I cannot test multiplayer right now). If I learned one thing in WC3 modding, it is to expect the unexpected.

Check the unit "Zone Indicator (Custom Campaign)." If I recall it does this same thing, and it's a built-in unit.

Keep in mind that the game physically prevents players from selecting units with Locusts, however a unit with no model is still physically permitted to be selected but is simply much more difficult or impossible to visually intersect with the mouse. So it might be wise not to invent a game mechanic based on the assumption that selecting such a unit is physically possible.