• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Serpentine Shoals

'On dunes slithering 'cross the mangroves yonder; the locals keep high and dry above the poison tide'

Players:
1v1
Resources: 6x (12500 Gold)
Creep Camps: 6x Green, 10x Orange, 4x Red
Neutrals: 1x Tavern, 2x Goblin Merchant, 2x Goblin Laboratory, 2x Mercenary Camp, 2x Fountain of Health

Authors Notes: Started as an experiment in carving rippling dunes into a generalized 1v1 map. In hindsight, the map has several innate flaws that cannot be solved without total redesign (probably too big for 1v1, too much unused space, minimap can be difficult to read, objective placements questionable etc.)
As such, I dont think its of ladder quality (hence, approve or reject as you see fit)
Contents

Serpentine Shoals (Map)

Reviews
mafe
I'm sorry for the long wait until the official review. I agree with your own assessment of the map in terms of "is it viable for competitive play?" However, other than that the map does of lot of things right. The visual theme is creative and I do...

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I love how you combined those tilesets 😀

Level 23
I love the graphic design, I also consider the creep camps to be well placed. The only thing I don't like very much is that the mines at the starting points are so wedged between the trees, for my taste it is too narrow. But in general I really like it.

Regards.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I'm sorry for the long wait until the official review.

I agree with your own assessment of the map in terms of "is it viable for competitive play?"
However, other than that the map does of lot of things right. The visual theme is creative and I do like it a lot. Maybe the color shades of the sand an green tiles are not in perfect harmony, but without custom imports you gotta make do with what the world editor offers, so no complaint from me. And in particular the minimap is a work of art.

In terms of gameplay, I noticed the following issues that also prevent the map from being competitively viable:
1. No attractive options for AoW-creeping at all.
2. Getting only lvl 2 item from the lvl 19 camp at the naturals is not within line of standard item drops at all.
3. The creeps at the natural are also too strong, fastexpanding isnt really possible without taking a huge risk.
4. Too many poison creeps overall, footies in particular will suffer a lot from this (and from the chain lightning creeps too, aoe damage creeps are normally rare outside of red camps).

Additional thoughts:
5. You could try a non-Lordaeron-Summer merc camps if you accept that the map wont be competitively viable anyway.
6. I dont really get why there are two identical 6-3 hydra spots per player, why not more replace one of them with something different? Especially since at the merc camps, these exact creeps appear again in doubles.
7. There is ofc the off chance that one of these spots aggroes player units by accident, but in reality situation where this happens are unlikely to happen often ingame.

So overall, the map clearly doesnt have anything that can be considered as a bug, but the itemdrop at the expansions comes close. If the map was smaller, it would be possible to turn it a something that could be worth trying in a tournament. But even the current incarnation isnt bad at all. Map approved.